Sunken Imperial Russian warship may contain $130 billion in gold

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
1531932702748.jpg

If we didnā€™t see figures in the trillions, this would almost be mind-blowing. A South Korean firm is reported to have found the wreck.

Hereā€™s my question. If the gold bullion and coins are in the wreck, who is going to claim ownership of it? Will Russian make a big effort to claim it belongs to it?

The Dmitry Donskoi, a 5,800-ton ironclad cruiser, was in a fleet of 38 Russian Imperial Navy ships deployed from the Baltic to the Pacific. Citing historical accounts, The Express reports that the Dmitry Donskoi may be treasure-laden. In addition to carrying port expenses and salaries for the fleetā€™s sailors and officers, she may have held gold reserves of other Russian ships damaged in the Battle of Tsushima in May 1905.

More @ Sunken Imperial Russian warship may contain $130 billion in gold

1531932702748.jpg

If we didnā€™t see figures in the trillions, this would almost be mind-blowing. A South Korean firm is reported to have found the wreck.

Hereā€™s my question. If the gold bullion and coins are in the wreck, who is going to claim ownership of it? Will Russian make a big effort to claim it belongs to it?

The Dmitry Donskoi, a 5,800-ton ironclad cruiser, was in a fleet of 38 Russian Imperial Navy ships deployed from the Baltic to the Pacific. Citing historical accounts, The Express reports that the Dmitry Donskoi may be treasure-laden. In addition to carrying port expenses and salaries for the fleetā€™s sailors and officers, she may have held gold reserves of other Russian ships damaged in the Battle of Tsushima in May 1905.

More @ Sunken Imperial Russian warship may contain $130 billion in gold

There is a great backstory there that most Americans are not aware of- which was the Sino-Russia war and how the Japanese navy shocked the West by sinking the Russian fleet- essentially twice.

From other articles it looks like South Korea is exerting control since it is in their territorial waters.

Salvage laws pertaining to international waters clash with territorial waters laws of the nation owning that area.

I'll base my answer on article: Sunken Treasure: Who Keeps The Booty?

My guess would be if is located in South Korea's waters than South Korea could claim it. Based on article's "Where in the World?: section.

If in international waters then Russia could claim it. Based on "Finders Keepers?" section.

Either way it seems the salvage company is screwed, but I'm not confident enough to lay a wager on that.

I'll base my answer on article: Sunken Treasure: Who Keeps The Booty?

My guess would be if is located in South Korea's waters than South Korea could claim it. Based on article's "Where in the World?: section.

If in international waters then Russia could claim it. Based on "Finders Keepers?" section.

Either way it seems the salvage company is screwed, but I'm not confident enough to lay a wager on that.

Oh, I'm sure the salvage company will make a mint out of this.

usually when they say ''may'' contain $$$$$$$, there usually isn't any

Forum List

Back