Sudden Volcanic Eruption Leaves Dozens Stranded In Japan

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
0,,17958856_303,00.jpg

After reading this @ Sudden volcanic eruption leaves dozens stranded in Japan News DW.DE 27.09.2014 I came across the following Discover piece:

15146259395_f4e79d5153_k-1024x682.jpg

Why Do Volcanic Eruptions Come in Clusters? @ Why Do Volcanic Eruptions Come in Clusters - The Crux DiscoverMagazine.com which points out:

The Earth seems to have been smoking a lot recently. Volcanoes are currently erupting in Iceland, Hawaii, Indonesia and Mexico. Others, in the Philippines and Papua New Guinea, erupted recently but seem to have calmed down. Many of these have threatened homes and forced evacuations. But among their less-endangered spectators, these eruptions may have raised a question: Is there such a thing as a season for volcanic eruptions?

On the other hand, could this be signs of the coming?

As the earths crust begins to cool, just like an egg, the internal pressures will build. Not only are we headed to cooling but that cooling will create other pressures with which the earth must deal with. If not a little at a time, it would happen very fast and violently without warning. we have been calm for way to long. Even the St Andrus fault is over due by 20 years.

Our context of normal may have been to short a time span to know what is normal for the earth.

On average, the earth in a 7 day period will have 1500-1600 quakes. we have had a world wide spike yesterday of almost 900 quakes.

7 Days, All Magnitudes Worldwide
2401 earthquakes - DownloadUpdated: 2014-09-27 14:14:10 UTC-06:00Showing event times using Local System Time (UTC-06:00)

USGS

This raises the question as to when the super-volcano under Yellowstone will erupt. When that happens, the whole world is fucked.

That link i gave out probably shows Yellowstone. I live so close it is a constant observation thing. Where i live i would have to be gone in less than 15 min and at 90 degrees of prevailing winds.. Those within 100 miles would be dead due to pyroclasitic flows and the shock wave of a large eruption.. We haven't even had a little eruption or hydrothermal explosion in over 250 years which is rather uncommon given the history of the area.

This raises the question as to when the super-volcano under Yellowstone will erupt. When that happens, the whole world is fucked.

That link i gave out probably shows Yellowstone. I live so close it is a constant observation thing. Where i live i would have to be gone in less than 15 min and at 90 degrees of prevailing winds.. Those within 100 miles would be dead due to pyroclasitic flows and the shock wave of a large eruption.. We haven't even had a little eruption or hydrothermal explosion in over 250 years which is rather uncommon given the history of the area.
Have you seen a Discovery Channel movie called Supervolcano?

The Japanese Volcano Observation Group state's there were NO WARNING SIGNS of the strata volcano's impending eruption. Now that is something to worry about. There was no crustal displacement, no thermal venting, no precursor earth quakes.. This means it was a mantle pressure spike and mantle lava which is very thin, very hot and flows very fast. With little rholite it was not a violent explosive eruption.

Have you seen a Discovery Channel movie called Supervolcano?

Yes I have.. It is always bad to mix theater with this type of subject.

WE know very little about flat center plate volcanoes. They erupt so infrequently and with such force that most are deemed ELE (Extinction Level Event) probable. We are not even sure about build up warning signs of this type of volcano. YVO uses the same criteria for strata volcanoes to predict Yellowstone. IN my personal opinion that is a bad move, but they have just as much chance of being right as I do.. When quake swarms happen up here my animals tell me a day in advance of the activity. I have learned to trust the instincts of my pets.

Last edited:
Back to Subject: The ash plume, depending on how long it continues and what flow rate it continues at, could have a nice cooling effect on the northern hemisphere... Just more food for thought.. The alarmists cant buy help to get it warming...

Looks like Japan isnt the only one about to have some fun...

The USGS California Volcano Observatory has been closely tracking an earthquake swarm in California's Long Valley Caldera, which started yesterday at around 4AM PDT; it poses no immediate hazard.

From about 4AM on the September 25th to 11AM on September 26th there havebeen more than 500 earthquakes of M1.0 and above. The earthquakes themselves are small, brittle-failure (rock breaking) events. The earthquakes do not result from the underground movementof magma. We can distinguish between brittle-failure earthquakes and thoseresulting from magma movement by the characteristics of the seismicwaveforms. Eight of the earthquakes were felt, but this is still rather modestactivity compared with the much more energetic swarms occurring in the 1980s and 1990s. This is one of several earthquake swarms that have occurred in the Long Valley Caldera this year.
The USGS California Volcano Observatory will continue toclosely track this activity and provide updates as appropriate.

USGS Volcano Hazards Program California Volcano Observatory

Looking at quakes in the very limited area of Long ValleyCaldera only, there are 1021 earthquakes in the last 7 days, all with random distribution. No they are not directly from magma intrustion as the article indicates, but they are not fault quakes either. Uplift must be involved.

I would love to see an INSAR displacement map of the area.

As the earths crust begins to cool, just like an egg, the internal pressures will build. Not only are we headed to cooling but that cooling will create other pressures with which the earth must deal with. If not a little at a time, it would happen very fast and violently without warning. we have been calm for way to long. Even the St Andrus fault is over due by 20 years.

Our context of normal may have been to short a time span to know what is normal for the earth.

Umm...... San Andreas. And faults are not like trains, they really don't have a schedule.

Umm...... San Andreas. And faults are not like trains, they really don't have a schedule.
What makes you so sure of this?

While your comment is technically true, there is a periodicity to the quakes along most major faults. The San Andreas is one of the most heavily researched fault zones in the world and here is a more recent paper dealing with the subject. Pallet Creek is another well researched paleoseismic site along the San Andreas.

This proposal aimed to extend the paleoseismic record on the Big Bend section of the southern San
Andreas fault with information from trenches excavated across the fault at Cuddy Valley. However,
stratigraphy was poor at the Cuddy Valley site, and resources were shifted to the existing paleoseismic
site at Frazier Mountain, about ten miles east of Cuddy Valley. Trenches excavated across a
transtensional stepover at the Frazier Mountain site have provided evidence of at least eight earthquakes
in the last 1000 years, with an average recurrence interval of about 122 years. One trench, T23, was
excavated east of the depocenter containing the evidence of these events in hopes it would expose older
stratigraphy and thus an earlier earthquake record. However, it was located in another syncline and
depocenter that contained similar young sediments to those exposed in the previous trenches. Three to
five earthquakes were recognized in the trench but were the same young earthquakes already identified
elsewhere at the site. Although the trench did not extend the earthquake record into the past, it did provide
information to clarify the detailed structure of the stepover.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/external/reports/G08AP00014.pdf

What makes you so sure of this?

LOL. History.

While your comment is technically true, there is a periodicity to the quakes along most major faults. The San Andreas is one of the most heavily researched fault zones in the world and here is a more recent paper dealing with the subject. Pallet Creek is another well researched paleoseismic site along the San Andreas.

This proposal aimed to extend the paleoseismic record on the Big Bend section of the southern San
Andreas fault with information from trenches excavated across the fault at Cuddy Valley. However,
stratigraphy was poor at the Cuddy Valley site, and resources were shifted to the existing paleoseismic
site at Frazier Mountain, about ten miles east of Cuddy Valley. Trenches excavated across a
transtensional stepover at the Frazier Mountain site have provided evidence of at least eight earthquakes
in the last 1000 years, with an average recurrence interval of about 122 years. One trench, T23, was
excavated east of the depocenter containing the evidence of these events in hopes it would expose older
stratigraphy and thus an earlier earthquake record. However, it was located in another syncline and
depocenter that contained similar young sediments to those exposed in the previous trenches. Three to
five earthquakes were recognized in the trench but were the same young earthquakes already identified
elsewhere at the site. Although the trench did not extend the earthquake record into the past, it did provide
information to clarify the detailed structure of the stepover.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/external/reports/G08AP00014.pdf

Yes. A periodicity. Which sometimes skips for a whole period. Not exactly the kind of thing that is yet predictable. Unfortunetly.

Forum List

Back