Sudan: Are We Going There Next?

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    With the UK?

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/jim/2004/06/18#a696

I'm surprised more of the blogosphere is not picking up on the new developments about Sudan and Darfur, and the possibility of US and UK military intervention

A few sources such as http://passionofthepresent.org and others--including Google News searched for "Sudan" have been reporting a running summary of the imploding conditions in Sudan, in combination with UN inaction and increasingly likely US and UK action. I'm surprised not to see more comment on these stories.

First, in the past week both the US and UK governments have hinted at the possibility of military intervention in Sudan to stop the government's continued victimization of its people. The US government has undertaken a study to determine whether to officially declare the situation a "genocide"--which would mandate intervention under the 1948 UN treaty on genocide.

Note: I personally support declaring the situation a genocide and taking immediate military action. I think that a no-fly-zone would help a great deal in removing air support from Arab militias, and would cost very little. I believe that some selective positioning of troops would do a great deal to protect refugee camps and assure safe travel for aid organizations and supplies.

Second, fighting is starting to spread into neighboring Chad. Chad is providing safe haven for refugees and a staging area for aid organizations who cannot safely travel into Darfur, and who have been further blocked from doing so by the Sudan government.

Third, the Sudan-government-backed Arab militias are said to be recruiting fighters from Arab tribes in Chad, and fomenting fighting among Chadians.

Finally, for those who are focused on the weaknesses of the UN system and the oil for food scandal--the scandal of the UN response to this genocide seems to me to be equally damning. Sudan sits on the human rights council, Kofi Annan says nice words but appears not willing to either use his bully pulpit to rally world opinion, nor to use his formal powers to take on the Arab, African, and Russian governments that are said to be blocking stronger action in the Security Council.

As those who know me realize, I am certainly not a unilateralist. On the other hand, this case shows why unilaterial action is sometimes the only way to deal with a problem while it still can be meaningfully addressed.

By the way, in Sudan Darfur we are fast moving past the time when the immediate crisis can be meaningfully addressed. The longer the warfare is allowed to continue, the more a next-few-months mass starvation scenario is locked into place by a combination of public health conditions, and logistics limits on delivering aid during the monsoon season when roads becom impassible. This deadly scenario, I believe, is exactly what the government of Sudan wants: Having cleared thousands of square miles and burned hundreds of villages of black Africans, it now hopes to starve the victims so they can never return to claim their land and reestablish their families. This, btw, is genocide. Not by freight cars and gas chambers, but by bands of terrorists on horseback supported by airborne gunships and bombers, village burning and murder, and finally, government-imposed mass starvation and illness.

For supporting details and links see any of the resources listed above.

Posted by James Moore on 6/18/04; 2:26:25 PM from the Economics and cybenetics

2. fishy

fishy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    we won't be going there, we're out of money and Sudan don't got enough oil, and Americans didn't forsee the sabatoge thing so it's a waste of money to occupy these arab countries to take their oil because then they'll just blow it up, it's theirs and if they can't have it noone can..

3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,148
    I think its on the list of things to do but i think Iran and Syria would be higher on the list.

4. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    I was reading about this in the economist last week. I feel it's genocide also, I can't stand to hear about stuff like this, it makes me sick.

5. menewa

menewa Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah, the problem in Sudan has been making me sick for years. The muslim militants are killing some of the most natural and peaceful tribes left on the planet, Christian and Animists tribes that have lived in a natural state for millinia. Same thing has been occuring against animists tribes in Indonesia for years too from Muslim militants as well.
    I believe that a tribal lifestyle is the way humans were intended to live. But these acts combined with globalization are really destroying the original "way of life."

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
  7. Shazbot

Shazbot Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
  8. Jule

Jule Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    This sounds like one for France. We dont have the troops to do anything at the moment, and France wants to be the world power alternative to the U. S. Let them go save some folks--we had to do Serbia, Bosnia, and Kosovo, we tried in Somalia, we kicked out Saddam. I'm tired of the U. S. trying to solve all the world'd problems. Let France do it.

9. nycflasher

nycflasher Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    So I played basketball with this guy, Luol Deng, last summer. He was here training and went on to complete his first year at Duke where he played basketball. He's entering the NBA draft tommorrow I think! Pretty cool. He's damn good. Anyways, he's from Sudan as was former NBA player, Manut Bol, his mentor.

:gives:

Sorry for the interuption, carry on...

10. nycflasher

nycflasher Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Who gives a fuck about a bunch of Africans? :rolleyes:
    Isn't Abu Grahib so much more interesting?

:flameth: :bsflag: