Sudan: Are We Going There Next?

Originally posted by NATO AIR
true

my concern is that these bastards will achieve a diplomatic solution with US pressure and get away with their crimes...

i do think its going to get resolved somehow, but sadly not without miiltary force, which is greatly warranted in this situation

did you see the washington post article about how they're raping the women and impregnating them intenonally?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5327445/

they're trying to wipe out the tribes

Yeah I did see the article, it's so depressing. We owe Sudan. We didn't owe Kosovo, Europe did. That was the time to let them step up. They are as rich as us, in toto, yet they don't want to spend the $. Well see where it gets them?

"The fear is that there is a premeditated plan to destabilize Sudan," says Abdul-Rahim Ali Mohamed Ibrahim, head of the Khartoum International Institute of Arabic Language. "We don't see what's happening in Iraq as all that different from what's happening in Sudan."

Emmmm........

Who the FUCK is Abdul-Rahim Ali Mohamed Ibrahim?

International Institute of Arabic Language?

WTF?

Well, shit! If he's qualified to be quoted, then what my old English teacher, Mrs. Fish said today should be an invaluable wealth of information about how things are going in Sudan!

Why the hell not?

In fact, we can even skip the middle man, since I know Mrs. Fish thinks like I do, and I can tell you how it is!

Mrs. Fish, NightTrain's old high school English Teacher, said today in a press conference: "I think that Abdul-Rahim Ali Mohamed Ibrahim of the Khartoum International Institute of Arabic Language is fucked! Never could get his apostrophe placement down, he was a lazy bastard."

Ahhhhhhhhhhh HAH!

Originally posted by NightTrain
Emmmm........

Who the FUCK is Abdul-Rahim Ali Mohamed Ibrahim?

Well, shit! If he's qualified to be quoted, then what my old English teacher, Mrs. Fish said today should be an invaluable wealth of information about how things are going in Sudan!

Why the hell not?

In fact, we can even skip the middle man, since I know Mrs. Fish thinks like I do, and I can tell you how it is!

Ahhhhhhhhhhh HAH!

Mrs. Fish, NightTrain's old high school English Teacher, said today in a press conference: "I think that Abdul-Rahim Ali Mohamed Ibrahim of the Khartoum International Institute of Arabic Language is fucked! Never could get his apostrophe placement down, he was a lazy bastard."

:p: LOL Geez, lost the :cof:

okay i see where you are going and i agree wholeheartedly...it is truly a shame that john major and the other brits in power did not heed baroness thatcher's advice: the serbs were fascist monsters intent on rewriting history in the balkans and must be stopped at all costs... the brits themselves could have stopped bosnia, but their leadership blew the gasket on that one.

the euros bungled bosnia so bad, and then they couldn't even do kosovo properly.... bad business

i just hope that in training this mass number of third world troops for peacekeeping duties (pres. bush's plan), we don't forget that we must also muster the pressure and will to get their nations to act to stop these kinds of genocide in the first place. america will and must be the supreme protector of human life from oppression and tyranny in the world, but in the end, the african nations and others must come to a similar point of view on the value of justice and freedom or the world will not improve an iota.

Anyone still want to argue for the UN being the best choice for action? Here we have Koffi on the wonderful response of Sudan's president to the ongoing slaughter. Hey and they have said they 'hope' Iran will start following the IAEA's 'suggestions':

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20040702/wl_nm/sudan_talks_dc

UN Says Sudan Undertakes to Disarm Darfur Militias

Fri Jul 2, 7:54 PM ET Add World - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Opheera McDoom

KHARTOUM (Reuters) - U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan (news - web sites) said Friday Sudan's President Omar Hassan al-Bashir had undertaken to disarm Arab militias who have driven more than one million Africans from their homes in the remote Darfur region.

"(Al-Bashir has made a commitment) to ensure security for the civilian population by deploying civilian police and by disarming militias," Annan after talks in Khartoum, highlighting what the U.N. says is the world's worst humanitarian crisis.

Foreign Minister Mustafa Osman Ismail said Sudan would deploy more forces to rein in the militias, known as Janjaweed, as well as rebels who launched a revolt last year accusing Khartoum of arming the militias. Khartoum denies the charge.

"We still say we need to do more on the security. (The interior minister) is going to deploy 6,000 police in Darfur," Ismail said.

Talks went on after Annan and Ismail spoke to reporters and a joint communique is due to be issued Saturday on future action over the vast western region, which the U.N. fears could be gripped by widespread famine.

Washington, which sent Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) to Khartoum this week, and rights groups say the Janjaweed are carrying out an ethnic cleansing campaign in an area where tensions run high between nomadic Arabs and African farmers.

One of the two main rebel groups, the Justice and Equality Movement, said government warplanes bombed near Southern Darfur state's capital Nyala and militias burned villages Thursday, while Annan was visiting refugee camps further north.

AFRICAN UNION MONITORS

Ismail said the government had flown in African Union monitors who were investigating, but the information they had was that the rebels had burned the villages.

Both Annan and Ismail said security was vital before the displaced could return to their homes, although the mostly African farmers fear they will starve in the next year having missed the chance to plant their crops before the rainy season.

Annan said the United Nations (news - web sites) was quickly stepping up its aid operations with help from the Sudanese government.

"By the end of this month we will be able to feed a million people," Annan said.

Aid agencies estimate more than two million people are caught up in the fighting, and that some 200,000 refugees are in neighboring Chad.

Darfur, an area the size of France, has few roads and little infrastructure. The rainy season increases the threat of malaria and helps disease spread in the refugee camps.

Annan said there was concern militias moving across the border into Chad may destabilize oil-producing Sudan's impoverished neighbor.

"In a country that is just beginning to get its economic and social development off the ground, the situation is fragile and one should not have to deal with that kind of crisis," he said, hours after returning from refugee camps in eastern Chad.

Chad mediated a cease-fire between the rebels and the government in April, but both sides have since accused each other of violations.

The African Union said after a meeting in Chad Friday that it had invited Khartoum and the rebels to peace talks in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa later this month.

"We invite all parties to begin political negotiations on July 15 in Addis Ababa," said African Union Commission Chairman Alpha Oumar Konare.

Sudanese Interior Minister Abdel Rahim Mohamed Hussein has said talks with the rebels would start in Chad Friday.

The Justice and Equality Movement said it would not attend talks in Chad because of government cease-fire violations. Chad was not a fair mediator, it said.

The other main rebel group, the Sudan Liberation Movement, said it was unaware of any talks.

(Additional reporting by Nima Elbagir and Betel Miarom in N'Djamena)

Related to the above, this was an earlier yahoo story on what happened earlier in the day. I mean can't you see just how responsive the Sudanese government has been?

UN officials stunned to find refugee camp emptied in Sudan

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...ficialsstunnedtofindrefugeecampemptiedinsudan

Fri Jul 2, 9:40 AM ET Add Top Stories - Chicago Tribune to My Yahoo!

By Sudarsan Raghavan Knight Ridder/Tribune news

Sudanese government officials emptied a camp of thousands of refugees hours before UN Secretary General Kofi Annan (news - web sites) was to arrive here Thursday, preventing him from meeting some of the hardest-hit victims of the humanitarian crisis in the province of Darfur.

"There may have been 3,000 to 4,000 people here as of 5 p.m. yesterday," UN spokesman Fred Eckhard said as he gazed upon the empty camp at Mashtel. "Now, as you can see, no one is here. I can't imagine they spontaneously moved."

remember during the siege of sarajevo, the UN having the gall to say "this is only the 14th worst place on earth right now, so we can't do much"

i still don't think unilateralism is the total answer, but for this shell-shocked and increasingly disillusioned young man, NATO and the UN are both pathetic failures.

we either need some new institutions, a miracle to reinvent the ones we got, or a whole new idea on how to deal with things.

remember during the siege of sarajevo, the UN having the gall to say "this is only the 14th worst place on earth right now, so we can't do much"

i still don't think unilateralism is the total answer, but for this shell-shocked and increasingly disillusioned young man, NATO and the UN are both pathetic failures.

we either need some new institutions, a miracle to reinvent the ones we got, or a whole new idea on how to deal with things.

It IS disillusioning, but we better wake up to the fact that right now, it's only the US 'unilateralism' that is getting anything done. That included Kosovo, what you used to refer to as the UN success case. It's way too sad.

whoa, i might have mistyped or been misunderstood. Kosovo was not the UN's success case, it was Wes Clark and NATO's. we couldn't stop the serbs because they were in bed with the Chinese and the Russians. The UN Security Council is now next to worthless because of the Chinese and the French, the Russians having woken up and smelt the coffee that genocidal dictators and terrorists must be stopped.

whoa, i might have mistyped or been misunderstood. Kosovo was not the UN's success case, it was Wes Clark and NATO's. we couldn't stop the serbs because they were in bed with the Chinese and the Russians. The UN Security Council is now next to worthless because of the Chinese and the French, the Russians having woken up and smelt the coffee that genocidal dictators and terrorists must be stopped.

I may have misunderstood you, however perhaps NATO was your answer to 'multilateralism', which still doesn't work. WE, meaning US, Clark, Clinton & co. had no business there. The Europeans should have handled that situation, using NATO weaponry if necessary-with US training if needed. Not US leadership, troops, etc. Very bad precedent that may have more to do with the Chirac problem today, than Iraq. It was at this point that it became clear to everyone, that the EU was now in the shape of France 1938. A place no country should ever be defensively.

that's my name... NATO AIR

there used to be these shirts Albanians and others sick and tired of the Serb war machine and world inaction would wear in Washington D.C. back in 99. It had the Nike swoosh but with NATO's emblem and the words. NATO AIR, just do it!

bomb the serbs and stop them.

that's what NATO did, it wasn't perfect, it wasn't even very good. it did work though, somewhat. better than nothing. and the US would not have done it had it not been for folks like Tony Blair, Jacque Chirac and mr. Havel. Chirac, in one of his rare good moments in history, recognized the Serbs for what they were. It wasn't a US success, it was NATO's. Too bad NATO now is bungling Afghanistan, but part of that blame lies in America's decision to disregard NATO's offer of help after 9/11.

instead of binding the europeans to our common cause in fighting in Afghanistan and around the world, we gave them an excuse and an out. now their asses are not on the line like ours are, and so the pressure is not there. and if the pressure is not there, the performance and the sacrifice is not there. and that's exactly what is happening. of course it is mostly Europe's fault, but let's allow some blame to rightfully sit at the foot of the white house.

just because most of their military is not nearly as good as ours does not mean they would not have been useful. and believe me, if we'd teamed up with them instead of turning down that offer, Iraq and Afghanistan would be in much better shape. If France and Germany had wanted to pull the stunts they pulled, it would have looked even more villanious and heinous than it already did. In fact, I'll lay 10 to 1 that's why Germany signed on to France's scheme. The Germans, who have been massive supporters of NATO, were disillusioned when Bush threw NATO aside after 9/11.

Strongly disagree on US involvement with NATO in Kosovo. It was a EU problem and they should have handled, alone. The EU has been around quite awhile now, they have the GDP very close to US, as well as a large enough population to field a major conflict. That they continue to depend on US militarily, on their own continent, is a drain on US and allows them to 'make demands' without responsibility. If the want the car, they should make payments for it and insurance.

true, they've paid considerably for kosovo. and yes it was a european problem but we were part of it sadly. i'm proud of what we did there. god how i loved wearing that shirt, every person on the street would ask me WTF NATO AIR was....
and part of kosovo for clinton and even the republicans was revenge... milosevic had humilated america badly, and though he got the europeans good, they're not like us in this sense. we took this personally, and kosovo was in a sense revenge. i've talked to pilots who served on the aircraft carriers during kosovo and at the airfields in Europe who loved bombing the serbs, because they'd had to sit by for years during Bosnia and watch the Serbs rape, pillage and murder innocent Muslims and Croats... remember the Serbs were responsibile for 90% of the atrocities of the Bosnian War, and they never got anything close to punishment until Kosovo.

sometimes we clean up other people's messes. its not right but hey, its part of being the megapower. hell, we've been cleaning up the messes from britain's colonial past for decades... though they have done their part as well.

true, they've paid considerably for kosovo. and yes it was a european problem but we were part of it sadly. i'm proud of what we did there. god how i loved wearing that shirt, every person on the street would ask me WTF NATO AIR was....
and part of kosovo for clinton and even the republicans was revenge... milosevic had humilated america badly, and though he got the europeans good, they're not like us in this sense. we took this personally, and kosovo was in a sense revenge. i've talked to pilots who served on the aircraft carriers during kosovo and at the airfields in Europe who loved bombing the serbs, because they'd had to sit by for years during Bosnia and watch the Serbs rape, pillage and murder innocent Muslims and Croats... remember the Serbs were responsibile for 90% of the atrocities of the Bosnian War, and they never got anything close to punishment until Kosovo.

sometimes we clean up other people's messes. its not right but hey, its part of being the megapower. hell, we've been cleaning up the messes from britain's colonial past for decades... though they have done their part as well.

Here's the difference for me, Sudan situation is one where the multilateralists are NOT stepping up, for god's sake, Koffi actually praising the dipshit president on the same day a village of 3-4k disappears? There is no one else. That wasn't true with Bosnia, Europe last I checked, has deep pockets and enough people...

that is very true kat

its disgusting to see a leader who is a monster get praised like that

i still think that somehow this is going to get resolved in a good way, at least for the prospects of the mass murder and rape stopping, and for the darfur people possibly being offered a chance at a new future.

the african union and the US/Britain should just do the damn thing if the French and everyone else doesn't want to be bothered to stop genocide

that is very true kat

its disgusting to see a leader who is a monster get praised like that

i still think that somehow this is going to get resolved in a good way, at least for the prospects of the mass murder and rape stopping, and for the darfur people possibly being offered a chance at a new future.

the african union and the US/Britain should just do the damn thing if the French and everyone else doesn't want to be bothered to stop genocide

And that's why I believe we are going to see more unilateralism and 'coalitions' of the willing. But, we have to make sure that our 'areas of protection' are not strung out forever, aka NATO. That is one of the things that I think are changing, I could be wrong....lol

no one has been 100% right

we're all staring in the great unknown it seems

all i can do is follow what i know is right and wrong

which may be too simplistic for some, but reagan had it right in that area

we have natural allies (india, singapore, israel, britain, some others) all we can do is strengthen and double up our ties with them

Interesting. Much like other UN/EU ineffectually led problems. An aside, "Leviathan" is probably the scariest book I've ever read.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110005308

The U.S. Cavalry
The alternative to U.S. "unilateralism" and "hegemony" is catastrophe.

Sunday, July 4, 2004 12:01 a.m. EDT

...U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan has been raising the alarm about Darfur--and he also visited there this week--but not until two weeks ago did the Security Council call for an immediate halt to the fighting. This being the U.N., the resolution was toothless. Permanent members China and France are worried about jeopardizing their business interests in Sudan. Pakistan and Algeria, which hold temporary seats, refuse to impose sanctions on a fellow Muslim nation even as it is engaged in the mass killing of Muslims....

..The ostensible reason for Europe's reluctance to pressure Sudan on Darfur is fear of torpedoing a peace deal between Khartoum and the south, where government forces have been slaughtering and enslaving Christian and animist Africans. But Europe's concern is rich with hypocrisy. That conflict, in which some two million people have died, has been going on for 21 years--while Europe watched.

Again, it was the U.S. that finally did something. The Bush Administration, under the leadership of special envoy John Danforth (soon to be ambassador to the U.N.), deserves most of the credit for brokering the deal.

A better measure of Europe's concern about Darfur was evident at the recent European Union summit, where one has to turn to page 18 of the summit conclusions to find a small paragraph about Darfur. The most forceful language the EU could muster was "deep concern" regarding Sudan's "humanitarian crisis," as if what is happening in Darfur is a tragic act of nature rather than a rampage by murderous, ruthless men.

If Europe won't come to the rescue of the people of Darfur, how about their fellow Muslims? The Arab League statement at its May summit didn't mention Darfur at all. Instead, it reaffirmed "the Arab states' solidarity with the sisterly Republic of Sudan, and their determination to preserve its unity and territorial integrity." Kamel Labidi explains the Muslim world's moral failure in a related column.

Nor, alas, can the Sudanese people expect much from their fellow Africans. It was the Africa bloc at the U.N. that played a key role in the farce that resulted in Sudan's re-appointment to the U.N. Human Rights Commission in May. Sudan's fellow Africans also helped undermine a resolution in April designed to appoint a special human rights rapporteur for Darfur. Yes, the African Union is leading a group of observers to monitor a cease-fire that has yet to take hold. But it is sending a grand total of 120 troops--including a munificent contribution of six from Europe--to monitor a region the size of France.

The lesson of Sudan is that the world is a Hobbesian place outside the U.S. sphere of influence. Sudan's social contract is straight out of "Leviathan"; citizens are guaranteed security only if they abide by the absolute authority of a monarch.
The real problem, as everyone knows but no one will admit, is Sudan's murderous regime. But Mr. Annan and company can't abide regime change, and in any case the U.S. military is too preoccupied to make that happen. That means we're left with diplomatic pressure and visits like Mr. Powell's, which are better than nothing but don't solve the long-term problem.

It is fashionable these days to express distaste for American "unilateralism" and "hegemony." The unfolding catastrophe in Darfur offers a chilling view of what the alternative really looks like.

we're one of the few powerful forces for good in the world, that's the sad truth. and no matter how hard it breaks me to say it, we can't save everyone. something i still haven't gotten thru my thick head.

i do think this: we've seen the callous nature of our so called european friends. where are the mass protests in europe over this genocide? sadly, for that matter, in america as well? at least bush and powell can bring themselves to denounce the sudan regime and make threats, the euros have sat back and done diddly, while contributing a meager amount of financial aid that is shameful.

there are some african countries that would do something if they could, and that is where america can come in. our allies and us can continue to help train them (with the mass training plan hopefully in action by next year) and then provide the logistic and intelligence assistance to them while they put the boots on the ground to stop whatever slaughter erupts in the future. this is the honorable and realistic way of the future. its just sad its not soon enough for darfur.

here's the crazy part: i would love to see an israeli gov't that made it its business to protect those facing genocide in the world.... whether that meant sending israeli troops or helping to train other nation's soldiers with israeli support. this would be worthy of the honorable tenets of judiasm and of what i believe the nation of israel can become one day. and wouldn't that just piss these islamic fundamentalists off? to have israel save a group of endangered muslims. it'd be perfect, and it is possible.

Back to earlier discussion on Europe/Sudan, thought this was interesting, Nato, you might want to read it all:

http://www.aztrib.com/index.php?sty=24228

Let Europeans save Sudanese
Tribune Editorial

.....Both Powell and U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan were in Sudan this week. They got the usual government promises of action and reform, but Annan forthrightly said it might take international troops to disarm and disband the militias — and there is a draft U.N. resolution pending to authorize that.

If the Sudanese government can't or won't act, and the threat of international sanctions (the U.S. already has sanctions in place) doesn't work, then troops it must be. The ideal solution would be to use troops drawn from the region, but they don't seem to have sufficient numbers and training. Thus, once again, the world will be standing around, waiting to see what the United States does.

However, we already have two foreign military projects — Iraq and Afghanistan — that really ought to be finished up before we take on anything new. But there are major nations fresh and rested from sitting on the sidelines that can and should take the lead.

How about it, France and Germany? The criteria you said you'd need to justify intervention — a clear humanitarian crisis and a U.N. resolution — are there. We'll hold your coats.

Forum List

Back