Study: White liberals dumb themselves down when speaking to minorities

Funny stuff, certainly not surprising:

White liberals dumb themselves down when they speak to black people, a new study contends - The Washington Post

“White liberals may unwittingly draw on negative stereotypes, dumbing themselves down in a likely well-meaning, ‘folksy,’ but ultimately patronizing, attempt to connect with the outgroup,” argues the paper, titled “Self-Presentation in Interracial Settings: The Competence Downshift by White Liberals.”

The findings, based on what the authors stress is “preliminary evidence,” raise difficult questions about aspirations for a so-called post-racial society. The results reveal how subtle forms of discrimination may coincide with progress toward equal treatment, or what the paper identifies as “a significant reduction in the expression of explicit prejudice and endorsement of negative stereotypes.”

The psychologists further discovered that white liberals rarely admit to the goal of appearing less competent, a fact that highlights the role of implicit bias and “the covert nature of the competence downshift strategy.”

“It’s somewhat counterintuitive,” said Dupree, who is the lead author and whose research was supported by the National Science Foundation as well as by Princeton’s Joint Degree Program in Social Policy. “The idea that people who are most well intentioned toward racial minorities, the people actually showing up and wanting to forge these connections, they’re the ones who seem to be drawing on stereotypes to do so.”

Consumed with skin color. STOP LOWERING STANDARDS FOR MINORITIES. Enough already.
Because poor uneducated white people in Appalachia are so smart, that’s why they don’t even need education.

You're the one to ramble on about uneducated, anyone reading your drivel knows you struggled throughout any educational endeavors

White liberals dumb themselves down when they speak to black people, a new study contends - The Washington Post

“White liberals may unwittingly draw on negative stereotypes, dumbing themselves down in a likely well-meaning, ‘folksy,’ but ultimately patronizing, attempt to connect with the outgroup,” argues the paper, titled “Self-Presentation in Interracial Settings: The Competence Downshift by White Liberals.”

The findings, based on what the authors stress is “preliminary evidence,” raise difficult questions about aspirations for a so-called post-racial society. The results reveal how subtle forms of discrimination may coincide with progress toward equal treatment, or what the paper identifies as “a significant reduction in the expression of explicit prejudice and endorsement of negative stereotypes.”

The psychologists further discovered that white liberals rarely admit to the goal of appearing less competent, a fact that highlights the role of implicit bias and “the covert nature of the competence downshift strategy.”

“It’s somewhat counterintuitive,” said Dupree, who is the lead author and whose research was supported by the National Science Foundation as well as by Princeton’s Joint Degree Program in Social Policy. “The idea that people who are most well intentioned toward racial minorities, the people actually showing up and wanting to forge these connections, they’re the ones who seem to be drawing on stereotypes to do so.”

Consumed with skin color. STOP LOWERING STANDARDS FOR MINORITIES. Enough already.
It seems like I always have to "dumb down" for conservatives. But not for blacks.

It goes over your head we mock you...should we dumb it down some for ya?

They have to, so black Americans can understand them.

Personally, I would find it demeaning and patronizing if I were a black person or a Hispanic, and some shithead white liberal talked down to me that way.

It seems like I always have to "dumb down" for conservatives. But not for blacks.

Quit fooling yourself, you're not really all that intelligent. You may see yourself as such, but most everyone can see right through that.

Personally, I would find it demeaning and patronizing if I were a black person or a Hispanic, and some shithead white liberal talked down to me that way.
Democrats have always been about race and human trafficking.

Still are. It's their claim to fame.

True. Those and "victimhood." They see themselves as the eternal victim, which allows them to feel an affinity toward the real downtrodden people of this world.

And yet it is republicans who are the party of race and human trafficking today.

Most Liberals have to dumb themselves down to talk to nearly everyone.
Conservatives don’t have that problem.
Did you guys understand that? LOL
Liberals do not have a monopoly on intelligence. Arrogance yes, brains no.

Well, the one useful thing that conservatives provide is giving the rest of us a superiority complex. So you have that going for you.

As for arrogance?

Well

We have the best words. Oh wait…that was someone else who said that.

Oh well, we are stable geniuses. Oh wait…that was someone else who said that.

Spending over $2 billion on an inveterate loser is intelligence.

Spending hundreds of millions of dollars to take back Congress only to lose seats in the upper chamber is brilliance.

Most Liberals have to dumb themselves down to talk to nearly everyone.
Conservatives don’t have that problem.
Did you guys understand that? LOL
Liberals do not have a monopoly on intelligence. Arrogance yes, brains no.

Well, the one useful thing that conservatives provide is giving the rest of us a superiority complex. So you have that going for you.

As for arrogance?

Well

We have the best words. Oh wait…that was someone else who said that.

Oh well, we are stable geniuses. Oh wait…that was someone else who said that.
Another lefty sheeple who confuses arrogance with intelligence and intellect.

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy," Biden said. "I mean, that's a storybook, man."
Biden on Obama.

Yep. But remember, many are raised on it, they're seeped in it from Day One. It's cultural. The condescension they get from white liberals is something they've experienced their whole lives. So it's much tougher to notice.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back