Students beaten in San Fran for singing National Anthem...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by insein, Jan 10, 2007.

1. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    So much tolerance coming from San Fran right? :rolleyes:

Personally, the yale kids are a bunch of Pussies. They couldnt beat up a bunch of SF hecklers? But seriously, i figured San Francisco would be the most tolerant land on Earth with the amount of hippies living there. What could have set them off? Surely it couldnt have been singing the National Anthem? :rolleyes: I mean Yale students should have fit right in with a bunch of left coast liberals.

2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    You're missing it, aren't you? It was the "good Catholic school boys" who beat the stuffing out of a bunch of "gays".

I doubt the good men of Sacred Heart Cathedral are "San Francisco liberals".

3. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Again another media spin liberal, gay whatever it was wrong in the first place on all sides. I wonder who the lawyer be who takes this case, because you know ther is gonna be one.

4. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    Media spin? You think good Catholic school boys are gonna beat up a group of singers for performing the National Anthem?

5. wiggles

wiggles Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +137
    another SF Chronicle article about it . . .

It's not the good righties vs the bad lefties or the benevolent liberals against the evil conservatives
    :rolleyes:
    It's just a bunch of drunk boys being idiots on New Years Eve. Nothing new.

Renowned Yale singing group attacked in San Francisco

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

(01-10) 11:51 PST San Francisco (AP) --

Members of an all-male singing group from Yale University were attacked and beaten outside a New Year's Eve party in San Francisco, and the parents of a singer who suffered a broken jaw said they are outraged no arrests have been made.

The Baker's Dozen, an a cappella group that formed at Yale in 1947 and has performed for the president, were on a West Coast winter tour when they were invited to a party in their honor, said Reno Rapagnani, a retired San Francisco police officer whose daughter hosted the event.

The trouble started at midnight after the 16 student singers, wearing sports jackets and ties, sang "The Star Spangled Banner," witnesses said. A couple of other partygoers started mocking the singers as preppies and taunting them with anti-gay epithets.

"'You're not welcome here,'" Sharyar Aziz Jr., the 18-year-old Baker's Dozen member who had his jaw broken, recalled being told. "He called a few members of the group, whether it was fag or homo, very, I would say, juvenile taunting."

The disturbance prompted Rapagnani to shut down the party, and as the singers headed back to a nearby home where they were staying, when another group of young men got out of a van and jumped them, according to Rapagnani.

"They were surrounded, then tripped — and when they were on the ground, they were kicked," Rapagnani said.

Besides Sharyar Aziz Jr., who required reconstructive surgery on his jaw, two other Yale students needed medical treatment following the fight, one for a concussion and the other for cuts and a swollen ankle.

Police arrived at 12:40 a.m. and found about 20 people fighting in the street, according to a police report. A San Francisco police spokesman said an investigation is ongoing.

But people involved in the incident said they are upset that officers interviewed four of the alleged assailants at the scene and let them go after taking their names.

"Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems as a citizen in San Francisco that something should be done a little more than has been," said Leanna Dawydiak, a San Francisco police officer who is married to Rapagnani.

The Aziz family has retained a local law firm.

6. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162

Hey guys, I think jillian may have "nailed" this one.

I was thinking the very same thing when I started to read the article.

I lived in the Bay Area for twenty plus years.

However, IF they turn this in to a "gay bashing" affair, Katie bar the door!

Cause San Francisco is nothing else, if NOT a gay friendly environment.

We'll just have to see how sharp the attorney's are for the "victims", sounds like the parents are well off, so I'm sure they'll retain some good ones.

I hope they nail the shitheads, that did this to the wall.:evil:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. wiggles

wiggles Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Lunkheads commute to SF for holidays and events and get faced and start gay-bashing all the time. Just ask the SFPD.
    This doesn't look like a gay bashing thing as far as I've read though.

8. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Don't look like they were beaten for singing the national anthem. :p

9. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I'd venture that your right.

10. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hold on a minute this ain't about religion but about boys being boys. You are old enough to undersatand this now come on. It was a media spin to make it out as something it wasn't. Yes they sung the Nation Anthem but what if sometime in the night before this song these kids kind of had words? The after the song all hell breaks loose. Is that possible? Yes Pacific Heights is a ritzy arear but look at the west side story any difference? That is the problem these days it is religion first then social and economic scale then race and after that it is mooshed up and nobody really remembers what really happened. That was my point on this subject and nothing more. And if anyone knows about here say I can bet you'd know.
    So let me see the buzz words--->National Anthem and Catholic school boys and Gay Bashing heavy stuff to report about and guess who is the victims are in the story.......?