Students at East High School will be Charged $5 for being late to class

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
SALT LAKE CITY -- Beginning Monday East High School Students will be charged $5 for being late to class. If the students are late and do not want to pay the fee they have the option of attending 30 minutes of after school detention.

School officials say the money raised will go towards paying the teacher who has to stay after school and run the detention.

Students at East High School will be Charged $5 for being late to class | Firstcoastnews.com | Strange & Unusual News

I think this is a great idea. In fact, I'd like to see fines for many other disciplinary issues as well. Comments?

I dunno, chanel. Sounds more like rich kids can now buy their way out of detention for being tardy. I'm not a big fan of fines....all kids should receive the same punishments for the same offenses.

I think they should pay the fine AND do the detention. If they are late again the the parent must accompany them to class for a week and sigh them into class

why is one forced to go to school.....aren't all teachers libs and aren't all libs pro choice....

Not a bad idea syrenn.

And Madeline - even rich parents might want to see their kids suffer the consequences. I have a feeling they did this for the athletes. Coaches get mighty ticked when kids miss practice for stupid shit.

I do believe hitting folks in the pocketbook when their kid spends three days a week in detention might be a good deterrent though. It gets pretty damn expensive.

We started giving detentions a few years ago for ANY late - even when mommy said it was "her fault". Latenesses decreased by something like 80%.

This is nothing more than a school trying to make money off bad behavior.

Our school policy is

2 absence without excuse or 4 tardies without excuse in a month = ineligible to attend ANY extracurricular activities for the next month. That includes, sporting events, dances, field trips, anything. Quite successful.

I think they should pay the fine AND do the detention. If they are late again the the parent must accompany them to class for a week and sigh them into class

ROFLMAO yeah make the parent miss work for a week or be late because the kid was late twice.

you have kids?

lol

What would stop someone from just saying,

"Oops! We're going to be late... Just forget it.

"Tell the school you had:"

a bad cold/food poisoning/a MYRIAD of other 24 hour ailments which would not require medical attention.

Problem solved, $5 SAVED.

And if someone is so poor that they can't afford to pay the fine,

what? THEY get off, scot-free?

imho, parents trying to work under pressure, rushing children to school,

or the kids, themselves, trying to beat the clock,

sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:

ROFLMAO yeah make the parent miss work for a week or be late because the kid was late twice.

you have kids?

lol

Don't you get it, that is EXACTLY the point. If it makes life hard on the parent, the kid is going to be in BIG trouble. Parental responsibility for their children, see how that works?

So the kid is in trouble at school for being late and has to do detention...and then go home and be in trouble with the parent as well...Watch how fast they get to class.

you have kids?

lol

Don't you get it, that is EXACTLY the point. If it makes life hard on the parent, the kid is going to be in BIG trouble. Parental responsibility for their children, see how that works?

So the kid is in trouble at school for being late and has to do detention...and then go home and be in trouble with the parent as well...Watch how fast they get to class.

I don't need to be forced to miss work, or have my life made hard. To discipline my kids. How are these parents going to get off of work? FMLA? lol

how about they just do a better job of informing the parents. For gods sake when I was a kid I was able to skip school Tons before my parents were ever even informed.

you have kids?

lol

I don't need to be forced to miss work, or have my life made hard. To discipline my kids. How are these parents going to get off of work? FMLA? lol

how about they just do a better job of informing the parents. For gods sake when I was a kid I was able to skip school Tons before my parents were ever even informed.

No one would be telling you how to discipline you children. You would just have to sign them into class. Problem solved.

I get exactly where you're coming from,

BUT

nowadays (tee hee ~ that's SO old-fashioned! ;) ), if a school requires students to remain on premises after-hours,

it's the school's responsibility to get them home, safely. (or wherever the parent requests that their kid be taken)

Amazing, eh? FAIR, to be sure, but good grief ~ $5 won't pay for the entire additional cost, and for something that is sort of the OPPOSITE of education...

I met a woman who had taught in AZ and said they had a demerit system at her school. After x number of demerits, the parents were fined. That sounded reasonable to me. It's always the same kids sitting in detention day after day.

We have "Saturday make up sessions" for kids who go over 18 days absent in the school year. I have been saying for years that the parents should pay. It is not mandated and it is very expensive to supervise.

Ain't that the truth? Many teachers in our school have suggested issuing all students diplomas in the 9th grade and then just allowing the students who actually want to learn to stay until 12th. :lol:

Unfortunately, most of the parents don't want them at home either.

Forum List

Back