Are Tests Biased Against Students Who Don't Give A Shit?

Middleman

Defender of the month
May 16, 2010
Northwestern United States
This is a serious problem regarding blatant bias existing within our school system!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RrreVthWRY]YouTube - In The Know: Are Tests Biased Against Students Who Don't Give A Shit?[/ame]

The sad part is that there are similar conversations such as this going on at the Dept. of Ed. every day. lol

You are so very right. It's a sad state of affairs. I love the part where the commentator says that he had a teacher who taught him to pretend to give a shit, and that turned him around! :lol:

It is crass and cruel to refer to these students as people who "don't give a shit". I'm shocked at both of you.

The correct term is people laboring under demotivational syndrome. Can we have some baseline respect around here for the disabled???

We had a third grader that bubbled in a Christmas tree on his Iowa Basics form. I kid you not.

Gotta love parents of failing kids or even C kids that come in and say their child is really, really smart, but doesn't like to do all that work.

Last edited:
We had a third grader that bubbled in a Christmas tree on his Iowa Basics form. I kid you not.

Gotta love parents of failing kids or even C kids that come in and say their child is really, really smart, but doesn't like to do all that work.

Like I've said, give the kid a choice of living in a mud hut and eating a cup of rice every day the rest of his life, or passing a fucking State BASIC SKILLS TEST, and I bet you don't have many drawing Christmas Trees.

Like I've said, give the kid a choice of living in a mud hut and eating a cup of rice every day the rest of his life, or passing a fucking State BASIC SKILLS TEST, and I bet you don't have many drawing Christmas Trees.

How's about Mommy and Daddy take every fucking privilege away from their really, really smart child until he straightens his act up in school? Worked at my house.

How's about Mommy and Daddy take every fucking privilege away from their really, really smart child until he straightens his act up in school? Worked at my house.

Parents of kids living in a mud hut don't need to take away any "privilages" to get their children to "straighten their act up in school."

You have to be hungry Samson. I've said this before. When you try to inspire kids to improve their circumstances, and they don't think their circumstances need improving, you've lost all credibility. None of them are hungry.

You have to be hungry Samson. I've said this before. When you try to inspire kids to improve their circumstances, and they don't think their circumstances need improving, you've lost all credibility. None of them are hungry.

Correct: in America, we are simply too affuent.

Even our most poor are more affluent than the average inhabitant of Africa, Asia, and South America (almost the entire planet).

What can school offer people that have EVERYTING: Electricty, clean water, food, shelter?

Lottery dollars are targeted toward schools in many states.

So it goes to show that basic competence in math would be discouraged in those states.

Ok, I'll bring up the dreaded words, "Self esteem," the most successful students have a great deal of it. They are not afraid to take up a challenge, especially one where they know the expectations and how to meet them.

Now how do kids develop self-esteem? Not by stars, stickers, and smiley faces alone-at least not for most. Nope, starts at home. Give the kids meaningful jobs, including but not limited to keeping their rooms pestilence free. Reward them for completing truly significant jobs, done well. For little children, toddlers, it would be placing their toys in a bin/basket before going to bed. Picking out their clothes and putting dirty ones in basket. Brushing their teeth. Of course, the parents have to make it possible by providing the easy access to these activities and a schedule for the child's day. They can't do it themselves.

By kindergarten kids can help with dinner by setting table, pour cereal, make salads with prepared ingredients, make their beds, (if the tucking in of sheets doesn't get parents out of whack), rake leaves, pick up toys, the list goes on. They are very good at polishing/dusting furniture-if shown how to do so. They may not be able to get the dining room table top or the credenza, but they sure can get all the legs and drawer fronts.

By 3rd/4th grade kids can entertain younger siblings, (with adult close at hand); do all the above; shovel snow within reason; rake and put leaves in bag. Make their own lunch for school; bring home correspondence from and to school, etc.

Middle schoolers can do all above plus watch younger children; cut grass; should be responsible for all homework and scheduling of activities, asking for assistance when necessary. Their parents should be able to give them an amount to purchase clothes and they should be able to adjust their choices to fit the budget. If they breach trust, they should be able to site a just punishment-often being harder than their parents would have been.

That's how one avoids an over-indulged child.

I know what Samson is referring to. Some highly able students fail to work. A little talking with them finds that they have every electronic gizmo known to me. They have a cleaning person so no, they don't make a bed, take out trash. They have landscaper to care for lawn and snow removal. You catch the drift.

Parents of kids living in a mud hut don't need to take away any "privilages" to get their children to "straighten their act up in school."

I plan to use the phrase "The beatings will cease when your GPA rises above 3.9."

\

I know what Samson is referring to. Some highly able students fail to work. A little talking with them finds that they have every electronic gizmo known to me. They have a cleaning person so no, they don't make a bed, take out trash. They have landscaper to care for lawn and snow removal. You catch the drift.

Well, sort of.

The very fact that Americans must engineer elaborate strategums to avoid over-indulging their children actually speaks volumes to my point that Americans are so affluent that they have come to view education as an necessary evil in the BEST case.

I the Worst case education is an unnecessary evil.

\

Well, sort of.

The very fact that Americans must engineer elaborate strategums to avoid over-indulging their children actually speaks volumes to my point that Americans are so affluent that they have come to view education as an necessary evil in the BEST case.

If your theory were to hold water, inner city school students, with involved parent would have stellar results, it's not the case and the fault isn't that the schools have only poor teachers. By definition, those living in the areas with worst schools are mostly those without the skills to live in better areas. They do not have the skills to pass onto their children, not the academic or the life skills.

If your theory were to hold water, the richest areas would have the worst performing schools. Again, not the case. Many highly successful parents do believe their children need to have chores, activities, and opportunities that lead to success-personal and academic wise. They may have cleaning people for windows, and gutters, but expect their kids to do some basic chores. I know, I grew up in an area like this. Most of my teaching experience has been in this type of area.

Highly productive people actually analyze how they got that way, for the most part. They know that their kids will not get it genetically.

\

Well, sort of.

"You will never watch tv or see your friends again until you bring up that C" is not my idea of "an elaborate strategum".

Forum List

Back