Strategies for Debate #2

It would seem a town hall format would be best for Romney. Kinda hard to hide behind a teleprompter in such a format. We're gonna hear a bunch of "uh...I, uh...uh, let me be clear, uh...".

Obama gonna break out da Negro Dialect and say "why Romney picking on me? Cuz Eyes black? Where Wright? Where he at?"

I sure hope Obama uses his fake black accent. That would be awesome!

The answers are going to be limited to two minutes. This is a big change for both of them. The moderator is not going to let them go on the way Jim Lehrer did and got punished for.

I think Romney will stick to the two minutes because he has nothing to defend, just accuse. Obama will push it with uh and aums and be on the defensive expecially on the foreign policy questions where he doesn't have stump speeches to rely on.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Obama will be nervous, pleading and pushy...he will not come off well where Romney will look confident and presidential.

And I'm going to slap myself across the head if I end another sentence with a preposition...

Last edited:
And I'm going to slap myself across the head if I end another sentence with a preposition...

Thank goodness they're limiting the time, holy crap. I hope they can stick to it.

Seems like the first debate really threw things out of whack. If Romney stays on the offensive, I don't know if Obama will be able to keep his cool. I'm trying to remember back to his debates with Hillary - I think he kept his cool pretty well. But this time he has a record to defend, he can't win just by just showing up.

In the first debate Romney was aggressive and Obama was relatively passive. I think it's fair to say that, by most accounts, Romney "won" the first debate (yes, I know, some here are pretending to disagree, we'll make them the exception).

So what happens in the next debate?

Obama will almost assuredly come out more aggressive. What I'm wondering is whether Romney, anticipating that, will change his style - maybe switching to a more demure, "presidential" approach, something like that. Surely his team knows that Obama will come out swinging, I can't imagine they aren't planning an overall strategy.

Thoughts, guesses?

And maybe we can keep this conversation thoughtful and mature, just for a refreshing change?

Obama will come out confidently and with lots of new "slogans". But he still has one thing that will always hurt him - his actual record.

Mitt will discuss Obama's failed foreign policies. His appeasement strategy in the Middle East is a colossal failure. "Leading from behind" has lead to our Ambassador being raped in his "behind", castrated and murdered along with 3 others on the anniversary of 9/11. This is a perfect encapsulation of his record- Massive failure at all levels, especially at the top. Failure to protect American interests. Failure to LEAD.

His apology tour of Egypt has resulted in The Muslim Brotherhood taking control of the government there. His call for a return to "pre-1967 borders" in Israel , his little whispers to Putin's lapdog about "being more flexible", his utter failure to woo the IOC to Chicago- none of these are confidence inspiring achievements. .....

Still, Obama will come out strong in the first round with a passel of new "slogans" and memorized lines. He may even memorize enough new material to get through the entire debate..... But it won't change any hearts or minds.

His record, that is the only thing that matters now.

Romney needs to bring up Libya and how Obamination's pandering to the islamic world and ignoring the threats led to that massacre....then point out how that will play out on a large scale with Obamination ignoring what is going on with Iran, Egypt, etc.

The second debate is perfect for obama. It's a town hall format which is his best vehicle. It's about foreign policy which should be his best subject. In theory obama should be able to walk all over Romney.

obama's worst enemy is obama. He is still not preparing. Even though he blames Kerry for his poor performance, he won't replace him. obama, in obama's mind, cannot make a mistake. If he buckles down to some serious study he will admit to doing a poor job the first time. If he replaces Kerry, he will have to admit that he made a mistake in choosing him the first time. obama should have replaced Biden as VP, but since obama never makes a mistake, he couldn't do that.

obama is going to be back out there against someone who is very well prepared and has an enormous amount of ammunition. obama will rely on campaign speeches just like he did last time. He knows his advantages and will rely on those. I expect obama to be bellicose, argumentative without substance, and trying to re-do the last debate.

Unless obama can explain the Libyan cover up and why he engineered the murder of Ambassador Stevens he is going to lose. If obama's answers to his obvious failures is to blame everyone but himself and gets as hysterical in the debate as he is on the campaign trail he will lose even though the second debate could not be better for him.
obama will do well until he gets flustered by a Romney reply. At that point, he can either avoid a direct response, or speak on something he has not been coached on. The former will look evasive and the latter will result in a whole lot of stammering at best. At worst, he will cop an attitude.
I'm rooting for the worst.

Obamination is going to look into the camera more the remaining debates and act like Romney doesn't exist in the room. He is going to stare into the camera telling his lies that Romney wants to kill old people, round up any hispanic, block kids from going to college, ship jobs overseas, spend all of our money on the military, etc, etc, etc.

He is going to lie his ass off and do the typical salespitch at the idiot on the other side of the TV because he knows it works with millions.

In the first debate Romney was aggressive and Obama was relatively passive. I think it's fair to say that, by most accounts, Romney "won" the first debate (yes, I know, some here are pretending to disagree, we'll make them the exception).

So what happens in the next debate?

Obama will almost assuredly come out more aggressive. What I'm wondering is whether Romney, anticipating that, will change his style - maybe switching to a more demure, "presidential" approach, something like that. Surely his team knows that Obama will come out swinging, I can't imagine they aren't planning an overall strategy.

Thoughts, guesses?

And maybe we can keep this conversation thoughtful and mature, just for a refreshing change?

I think that Romney will adjust to whatever Obama throws at him. If I were Romney I would spend the days leading up to the debate poking Obama where he knows it hurts the most. So Obama will enter the debate as a angry little girl looking for revenge. Then, as you say, Romney can come across as the adult and more Presidential.

The other problem for Obama is he really has nothing on Romney. Is he going to bring up Romneycare? After Obamatax?

Or, Obama will perform exactly as he did in the first debate. As you see there are now fools thinking he actually won the debate. I don't really think they believe it but that is their storyline targeted at those who may not have watched. To the liberal left history isn't history until they write it. So Obama can afford to take the more conservative route and not make a big mistake but not necessarily deliver any telling blows. He can leave that to his host of PACs to run false ads and fools on Internet blogs to spread his manure. My opinion is we will see a bland Obama. Romney will need to be careful not to come across as a bully.

This time Romney is certain to be asked about immigration reform, ruh-roh.

Certain huh? Is the fix in?

It was a pretty big domestic issue that was somehow left out of the domestic policy debate and this is the last chance to ask him how he feels about it, at this point we have no concrete idea of his feelings on it.

That's just it. Immigration is a domestic issue and the debate is on foreign policy. Immigration won't come up until the last debate which is about governance.

Forum List

Back