Strange stuff

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
Sep 1, 5:38 PM EDT

Mormon church, Jewish leaders tackle proxy baptism

By JENNIFER DOBNER
Associated Press Writer

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- The Mormon church says it has changed its genealogical database to better prevent the names of Jews killed in Nazi concentration camps from being submitted for posthumous baptism by proxy.

In a joint statement issued Wednesday, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and a coalition of Jewish leaders said a new computer system and policy changes related to the practice should resolve a yearslong disagreement over the baptisms.

Mormons believe posthumous baptism by proxy provides an opportunity for deceased persons to receive the Gospel in the afterlife. Baptisms are performed in Mormon temples with members immersing themselves in a baptismal pool as proxies for others. The names used in the ceremonies are drawn from a church-run genealogical database.

Faithful Mormons use the practice primarily to have their ancestors baptized into the 180-year-old church and believe the ceremonies reunite families in the afterlife.

But the practice also includes proxy rites for others around the world from all faith traditions. The church also believes departed souls can accept or reject the baptismal rites in the afterlife and contends the offerings are not intended to offend anyone.

Jews are offended by the idea that Mormons are trying to alter the religion of Holocaust victims, who were murdered because of their religion.

TBO.com - News From AP

Only jews get exempted from the after death morman baptism?

It is time for the Catholics and others to get on the bandwagon. I don't want those mormans desecrating my dead ancestors.

LOL. Well, I don't really care what the Mormons do about my baptism after I am dead. And I think that most of my ancestors would have found the thought of after death baptism into any faith laughable.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gm6JYFdnD8]YouTube - South park Mormon[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ghe6BxxvWA&feature=related]YouTube - South Park And The Mormons[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFZ1jVO3-OE&feature=related[/ame]

LOL. Well, I don't really care what the Mormons do about my baptism after I am dead. And I think that most of my ancestors would have found the thought of after death baptism into any faith laughable.
LOL hey, something we can agree on
there are so FEW

I saw something on this awhile back. The thing that strikes me as odd is that the Jews would think that the Mormons had any power of any kind to do anything to their ancesters, much less alter their religion.

I've read the Op like three times, and I am just jaw dropping here. I don't even know where to begin...but...

are we to believe that Mormons have some sort of Star of David software program that can detect Jews (?) who have died by their names (?).

I'll be over on the confused sofa, in case anyone replies.....

I've read the Op like three times, and I am just jaw dropping here. I don't even know where to begin...but...

are we to believe that Mormons have some sort of Star of David software program that can detect Jews (?) who have died by their names (?).

I'll be over on the confused sofa, in case anyone replies.....
are you not familiar with genealogy.com?
they get people to put in family names to track the family tree

No, the site isn't familiar to me DiveCon. I wonder if the Mormons are associated with ancestry.com. But either way, how can they tell someone is Jewish?
OOPS
thats the one i mean
:redface:
its run by the Mormons

dang, they are BOTH run by mormons

and its not JUST the Jewish they do it to
but apparently they are some that are complaining

Last edited:
Dang...so what do people do? Go through their family trees and mark relatives "do not convert"?

BTW, was that cartoon accurate? Mormons think we are descended from aliens?

Dang...so what do people do? Go through their family trees and mark relatives "do not convert"?

BTW, was that cartoon accurate? Mormons think we are descended from aliens?
actually, what the mormons do, only seems to be a belief of the mormons
what they do cant effect someone that already died, at least not in the way i believe
so to me its a "who gives a shit" type situation

Catholics used to have something similar. A plenary indulgence would get your relative who had died and been sent to Hell into Heaven...but they were expensive. They've quit offering these, though I'm not sure when. I guess all religions look goofy in some aspect or other.

You're right. This is a pretty strange practice... I'm speechless. That in it's self seems strange too.

Forum List

Back