Still The Land of Opportunity

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110010855

2. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    WHAT?! You mean people can actually achieve if they work hard? This can't be.

3. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    So we can all be rich?

Hallelujah!

I hereby declare ALL AMERICANS to be in the top 10 percent of income-earners.

Just kidding. I am sure that our masters well realize that if our standard of living drops low, we'll lose our incentive to keep bleating like sheep and might actually revolt. So they keep the bread and circuses coming.

4. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,110
    The other thing about the income inequality studies is that they include poor immigrants, many of whom come to America illegally. If these people are excluded, the statistics would show inequality hasn't widened as much. Plus, if you included them in the statistics for their home countries, it would show that the immigrants have moved dramatically up the income latter since they are making so much more in America.

5. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    this can't be true....it just can't....

6. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    I couldn't help but notice you're response to this very same article in the other thread "Growing Income...."

Now it appears as though in this thread you have stated income inequality is not as dramatic as some would have us beleive (based on your post in this thread). Yet in the other (also quoted above) you cite sources to support your assertion that income inequality is growing larger. Which is it?

7. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,110
    It is growing larger, but the statistics are probably skewing to the downside. However, that doesn't mean the gap isn't widening. It is not an either/or situation.

I do not approach this politically, and I find that both sides manipulate the data to support their own biases. So, the Right says the economy is great. Its not for most people, but its not bad either. The Left says the middle class is disappearing. Its not, but there have been economic papers written measuring that the percentage of the middle class has fallen over the past few decades, although it is by 1%-2%, a very small amount.

8. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Define 'most people'. Better yet tell me what a great economy is suppossed to be for most people. Somwheat implied is that somehow the economy is giveing some people the short end of the stick. How specifically?

I ask because I know how much I make. It isn't very much at this point. From a salary persepective it would be considered to be in the 'have not' range so to speak. Yet I don't have this feeling that I'm being screwed over by the economy. Would I like to make more and save more? Sure. But I'm under no delusion that the reason for it is the economy.