Stephen A. Smith implies Chip Kelly may be a racist

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Because as we all know there isn't enough blacks in football (insert rolling eyes here).

Stephen A. Smith implies that racism may have been behind Chip Kelly’s moves

In the wake of Sunday’s news that Jeremy Maclin is set to leave Philadelphia and re-join his former coach, Andy Reid, in Kansas City, many have noted the exodus of offensive talent Eagles mastermind Chip Kelly has overseen over the past two seasons, most notably Maclin, LeSean McCoy and DeSean Jackson.

Over at the International House of Hot Takes, a.k.a. ESPN’s “First Take,” however, they don’t just take note of things. Co-pundit Stephen A. Smith arrived at Monday’s show armed with, yes, a take on the personnel upheaval in Philly.

Smith and Skip Bayless were discussing the Eagles’ moves, and whether they left the team better or worse. During the back-and-forth, Smith said, “What has elevated my level of trepidation even more so? How in the hell do you lose DeSean Jackson, LeSean McCoy, Jeremy Maclin … but you keep Riley Cooper?”

The first three players cited are, of course, black, while Cooper is not only white, but he was caught on video in 2013 dropping an N-bomb. A few minutes later, Smith revisited that implication of racism, prefacing his remarks with, “Can I say it? It’s going to be controversial.”

Of course, that’s like asking Maury Povich for permission to discuss a parental DNA test, so Smith was encouraged to plow ahead.

“Chip Kelly makes decisions over the last couple of years that, dare I say, leave a few brothers feeling uncomfortable,” Smith said.

“You could say that,” Bayless replied.

Stephen A. Smith implies that racism may have been behind Chip Kelly s moves - The Washington Post

So Kelly will cut players because of race, to hell if he wins or not. That has got to be the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time.

If he loses he is out, he won't jeopardize his career, he isn't that stupid.

So Kelly will cut players because of race, to hell if he wins or not. That has got to be the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time.

If he loses he is out, he won't jeopardize his career, he isn't that stupid.

He was here in Oregon as the head coach of the U of O Ducks. He's just the opposite, very cerebral, and the vast majority of players he recruited were black. Never heard anyone ever accuse him of being a racist.

Forum List

Back