Stay safe, Stay dry, Texas

I'll bet the citizens of Texas are glad they didn't secede from the US.

We're pretty good at handling this stuff at the state level. We're not Louisiana or New Jersey; we don't sit and cry until 'everybody else' runs in and does anything. Prep here started over a week ago, well organized, lots of volunteers lined up, trucks loaded, medical supplies rounded up, power companies sending linemen and trucks from around the state ahead to assembly areas, etc. They're already responding to non-emergency calls today in many places.

Yep...we've long since recovered from Ike yet N.O. is still fucked up from Katrina.
New Orleans was fucked up before Katrina, what makes you think anything would change? :dunno:

Who are you and why should I ignore you?

:rofl:
Uuuummmmm, I think the real question is who are you and why shouldn't you ignore yourself? :dunno:

That's clever?

No. It's lame. Sorta like telling people in texas to "hang in there".

And you claim my post was lame.......... :rolleyes:

Hang in there. I mean it!
Okay, now that was funny.

To be fair, you are usually very clever....:thup:

Is it almost over now?

Good is wasn't as bad as predicted.

Uuuummmmm, I think the real question is who are you and why shouldn't you ignore yourself? :dunno:

That's clever?

No. It's lame. Sorta like telling people in texas to "hang in there".

And you claim my post was lame.......... :rolleyes:

Hang in there. I mean it!
Okay, now that was funny.

To be fair, you are usually very clever....:thup:
Can't bat 1000 every time. :dunno:

It's going to swing around on the other side of the gulf where I am . Supposed to rain a week starting tomorrow. But nothing like how Texas has been hit.
Maybe some tornado's. Bleh

Out here on the normally arid Katy Prairie we have had pretty steady rain all day Saturday. Occasionally heavy, occasionally just a drizzle. Not much in the way of wind. Power and water are still functioning, fuel & bottled water are long gone from the stores, (my daughter works for HEB, they have sold out of 9 truckloads of bottled water in less than a day), but beer was still available, (who needs water when there is beer!). No tornados here though one hit a neighborhood not too far away overturning cars and the such. Local street flooding, mostly the feeder roads and those in low lying areas.
Some reports of price gouging, suspect the AG will deal severely with those folks.
So far, on the Katy Prairie at least, Harvey has been more bark than bite.

Out here on the normally arid Katy Prairie we have had pretty steady rain all day Saturday. Occasionally heavy, occasionally just a drizzle. Not much in the way of wind. Power and water are still functioning, fuel & bottled water are long gone from the stores, (my daughter works for HEB, they have sold out of 9 truckloads of bottled water in less than a day), but beer was still available, (who needs water when there is beer!). No tornados here though one hit a neighborhood not too far away overturning cars and the such. Local street flooding, mostly the feeder roads and those in low lying areas.
Some reports of price gouging, suspect the AG will deal severely with those folks.
So far, on the Katy Prairie at least, Harvey has been more bark than bite.

It's been an exciting week no doubt.
Solar eclipse,Texans football,The Mcgregor fight....and Harvey.
All somewhat disappointing but exciting nonetheless.

I screwed off and didn't mow the front field before the rains hit; now its knee high in just three days, and too wet to mow.

I thought I heard some news passing by the radio that so far only one death from Harvey in Texas? Is that true?

I thought I heard some news passing by the radio that so far only one death from Harvey in Texas? Is that true?
Three is the last figure I heard, one in a fire and two swept away by currents when they had to abandon their vehicle. There are of course some areas where rescuers have not gotten to as of yet. For the most part, the actual storm hit a fairly low populated area and the folks evacuated well ahead of it. It is the ceaseless rains that are the problem & they are well away from the center of the storm.

I just made an orbit around my area, so far we have had it pretty easy, no major damage, no downed trees or power lines, only flooded roads, including, unfortunately, the main road in & out of my area, (FM 529). My daughter who lives south and west of me is trapped in her house, the neighborhood & the roads leading to it are all impassable due to high water. They are dry & safe.
Looks like the worst of it so far, at least in the Houston area is east of I45 & south of I10 where the storms freight-trained an already vulnerable low area. The city of Dickenson is completely cut off except by boat.

Three is the last figure I heard, one in a fire and two swept away by currents when they had to abandon their vehicle. There are of course some areas where rescuers have not gotten to as of yet. For the most part, the actual storm hit a fairly low populated area and the folks evacuated well ahead of it. It is the ceaseless rains that are the problem & they are well away from the center of the storm.

I just made an orbit around my area, so far we have had it pretty easy, no major damage, no downed trees or power lines, only flooded roads, including, unfortunately, the main road in & out of my area, (FM 529). My daughter who lives south and west of me is trapped in her house, the neighborhood & the roads leading to it are all impassable due to high water. They are dry & safe.
Looks like the worst of it so far, at least in the Houston area is east of I45 & south of I10 where the storms freight-trained an already vulnerable low area. The city of Dickenson is completely cut off except by boat.
Hello, I hope your daughter will be rescued , Stasha_Sz, I saw on CNN horrible images of people having evacuated their house testifying their seeing snakes everywhere in the house and having water up to their neck and a man with his son looking for his wife and other of his children and his dog.:(
Why the mayor of houston did not ask the peoples to evacuate? He said better staying at home and of going up to the roof that the help would come to evacuated the people. I do not understand why those peoples were not evacuated before the rain come ?

Virtue signalling is so cool!!

1bwiel.jpg

You are a jaded SOB.

My friends on the left actually DO care.

When that Flint water crises happened, one of them started a fund, gathered water, and took it to Flint. Then when those tornadoes wiped out families in Appalachia, they drove down there to assist. Some people actually do care.

I am a realist that has no tolerance for the pretend world of the online leftists.

If you or anyone else gives a fuck about the people suffering from the hurricane. get out and do something to help. Or donate some money.

Don't start a fucking thread that says "hang in there". That's just lame!
Wow. Just wow.

food shortages...gas shortages..water shortages....
That's miserable. It seems the emergency crews from everywhere are already active and were well prepared. But it's still miserable.

I saw a map of Houston yesterday with areas that have flooded in recent storms and most of them were clustered in specific areas of the city. While I realize that the flooding now is greater than normal, I'm wondering why the people in those areas of Houston weren't given an evacuation order, at least. Hopefully, a lot of them heard the forecasts and put two and two together, and got out of town.

It's certainly possible, though, that a lot of people in Houston have JOBS and those employers did not cancel work ahead of time, hoping for the best. I remember once working for a sleaze outfit in Connecticut that told me to come to work after a blizzard when the Governor had closed the roads and anyone without first responder duties was ordered off the roads.
I said no, and they couldn't do a damned thing about it, but they were trying to get everyone to risk their lives, anyway, not to lose a day's worth of $$$.

Hello, I hope your daughter will be rescued , Stasha_Sz, I saw on CNN horrible images of people having evacuated their house testifying their seeing snakes everywhere in the house and having water up to their neck and a man with his son looking for his wife and other of his children and his dog.:(
Why the mayor of houston did not ask the peoples to evacuate? He said better staying at home and of going up to the roof that the help would come to evacuated the people. I do not understand why those peoples were not evacuated before the rain come ?

Hi Dalia, thank you for your concern, really appreciate the kind thoughts. My daughter is good, the waters have receded slightly in her area and they were able to get out. In fact, they are out rescuing a friend of theirs even as I type!

Yes, floods do tend to bring out snakes in droves here in the Houston area, flushes them out of their holes so they seek drier ground, like in oh, the living room of nearby houses. Red ants can be bad too, as well as skunks.

Houston had a voluntary evacuation notice in place, leave if you want to. The Mayor did not want to cause a panic and clog up the roadways with a mandatory evacuation. Probably a bit short-sighted in hindsight. Many parts of SE Texas are built on lower ground and all the development has spoiled the drainage and limited the amount of water the ground can absorb. Still, a lot of folks have nowhere else to go and the waters rose a lot faster than anticipated. It was pretty evident that the local authorities did not have sufficient resources in place to handle the demand. Fortunately, Texans being Texans, many volunteers have come forward with their private boats and have filled the shortfall nicely. Churches have opened as refugee centers and task forces have been sent by the Governor. President Trump already has FEMA on the ground.

Despite the images you may have seen on the news, this is NO Katrina event, the death toll will be minimal, civil society will not break down and the damages will ultimately be repaired.

Thanks for the update. I heard it was up to 5 confirmed this morning. That is still far less than I expected, given the numbers of people who always believe they can stay and get by, only to cause many to risk their lives trying to rescue them.

Forum List

Back