Stay At Home Dad? New Trend

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
My wife dragged me out to dinner with a friend of her's and her spouse a few weeks ago. She met her friend when picking my kids up from camp. Many of the parents get there beforehand and are able to chit-chat. My wife met her friend and many times they grab lunch or a coffee after dropping the kids off at camp.

My wife's friend happens to be the male stay at home dad. He isn't feminine and not a bad guy. Basically like me they have 4 kids. He worked in sales and his wife is a doctor.They decided instead of daycare or getting a nanny (both which are very expensive) he would quit and watch the kids. In effect becoming a stay at home dad.

Is this a new trend? Is it a bad thing?

I suspect it is a trend in that more and more women are having careers that makes them the more logical choice to work while husband stays home, and no I don't see how it can be a bad thing.

I think its a bad thing but that's just my traditional thinking and I'm glad that things were traditional for me . Then again if the wife makes more money as a Doctor then he made in sales its also a common sense thing .

I think its a bad thing but that's just my traditional thinking and I'm glad that things were traditional for me . Then again if the wife makes more money as a Doctor then he made in sales its also a common sense thing .

Yep traditional roles are changing, but it's not all bad in the end.

I think it's great when a couple decide to act in the best interests of their children by having one parent stay at home. It makes sense for the spouse with the best earning potential to stay in the workforce, regardless of gender.

It SHOULDN'T be a bad thing, but it probably IS a bad thing.

Many of us would like the world to be different but we have to live with how the world actually is.

The problem with the stay-at-home dad arrangement is that many of these successful wives slowly begin to lose respect for their husbands, this leads to a deteriorating marriage and eventually divorce. Obviously this doesn't happen to EVERY marriage, but the divorce outcomes for stay-at-home dads are far higher than for the men who work, either as sole breadwinner or as part of a two-career household.

I think it's great when a couple decide to act in the best interests of their children by having one parent stay at home. It makes sense for the spouse with the best earning potential to stay in the workforce, regardless of gender.

gotta agree with that, the one who earns more should go out and hunt!

on the other hand

...the pussification of the male.............. when women go out and hunt it's inevitable..... :(

I may be wrong ...I may be right ...who knows

on the other hand

...the pussification of the male.............. when women go out and hunt it's inevitable..... :(

Run through this scenario and see if it rings true.

A man who is earning a high income meets a woman and they decide that she shouldn't work after they get married. How much does it bother this man that his wife is not working? Factor out the need for money in order to support the household, he can do that all on his own.

Now flip it.

A high income woman meets a poor man. How happy is she that her husband doesn't work at all after they get married?

Men will marry women who aren't working, men don't look down upon wives who don't work. Women though don't replicate that male outlook.

That fact that the husband is looking after the kids doesn't erase the baser emotional response of women, it's just a rational veneer but the emotions are still running at full speed.

I'm a work at home Dad (WAHD). I find this arrangement very satisfactory. I earn a good income, and I see my kid all day.

This is nothing more than the gay left and their attempt to destroy traditional family values. There is no way I would trust a man-wife around my wife as they are picking up kids. I would either kick his ass and make sure he wasn't putting the moves on my wife or make the kids go to another camp.

I am surprised you good teapers have fallen into the trap of the gay left.

on the other hand

A man who is earning a high income meets a woman and they decide that she shouldn't work after they get married. How much does it bother this man that his wife is not working? Factor out the need for money in order to support the household, he can do that all on his own.

Now flip it.

A high income woman meets a poor man. How happy is she that her husband doesn't work at all after they get married?

Men will marry women who aren't working, men don't look down upon wives who don't work. Women though don't replicate that male outlook.

That fact that the husband is looking after the kids doesn't erase the baser emotional response of women, it's just a rational veneer but the emotions are still running at full speed.

I understand what you say. :)

It's just that I am old fashioned that way... hopelessly and utterly old fashioned....in my family women didn't work outside the home.

And life was good.

on the other hand

Now flip it.

I understand what you say. :)

It's just that I am old fashioned that way... hopelessly and utterly old fashioned....in my family women didn't work outside the home.

And life was good.

I'm not criticizing or complaining about what you wrote. You expressed some doubt when you wrote "I may be wrong" so I just expanded on my point.

Here's the funny thing, to me at least. Whenever I hear someone bitching about "double standards" it's always a woman. I've never actually come across men having a conniption about double standards. So I have to ask, why don't women, as a group, fix themselves on this issue and come to love and respect single men who simply desire to have their wives support them while they dedicate themselves to taking care of the home?

Either double standards are evil or they exist for a reason.

Stay At Home Dad? New Trend
I've known some stay at home dads from my son's school, and I have to give them a lot of credit. That is one job that I could not handle. I know this because Mrs Jughead is a stay at home mom, and she handles more than I could handle.

My wife dragged me out to dinner with a friend of her's and her spouse a few weeks ago. She met her friend when picking my kids up from camp. Many of the parents get there beforehand and are able to chit-chat. My wife met her friend and many times they grab lunch or a coffee after dropping the kids off at camp.

My wife's friend happens to be the male stay at home dad. He isn't feminine and not a bad guy. Basically like me they have 4 kids. He worked in sales and his wife is a doctor.They decided instead of daycare or getting a nanny (both which are very expensive) he would quit and watch the kids. In effect becoming a stay at home dad.

Not a bad thing at all, and is becoming more and more common.

Not a bad thing at all, and is becoming more and more common.

Oh my god, why can't we teach this simple basic rule to boys starting in kindergarten: Never LISTEN to what a woman tells you she wants, WATCH HER BEHAVIOR instead.

TIME's Healthland reports that there are still strong social pressures for men to be breadwinners, as a recent study published in the American Journal of Sociology shows that for men, unemployment in a relationship is more a prediction for divorce than unhappiness.

Liana Sayer, an associate professor of sociology at Ohio State University and lead author of the study, told Healthland that: It's still unacceptable for men to stay home and take care of the kids.

In her study Sayer found that a woman who was very unhappy in her marriage was more likely to start divorce proceedings if she was working than if she was unemployed, according to the TIME article. However, the article further states that whether or not a woman worked had no relevance on the chance of her husband leaving the relationship.

But unemployed men had a greater chance of their wives leaving them and they would choose to leave even if they were fairly satisfied with their relationship, according to the TIME article.

The recent research depended on data gathered from more than 3,600 couples who took part in the National Survey of Families and Households, funded by the National Institutes of Health.

If working women were unhappy in their relationships they more likely had the resources to leave than those who didn't, researchers presumed.

Sayer told TIME that nothing in that argument means that women's employment will lead to tension.​

Forum List

Back