States Rights?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Orange_Juice, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Orange_Juice

Orange_Juice Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I find it amazing that somewhat "educated" Americans still believe the South was fighting for states rights. I ask them what rights had been violated that suddenly made them feel the need to seceed from the Union. They can never answer with even a decent falsehood

2. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    how very nice for you.
    <yawn>

3. Orange_Juice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Over your head? Probably. Why do you even bother responding to a subject you know nothing about bird brain

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I'm not arguing for the South or secession, however their 'fight' about states' rights hinged on determinism of each state to say whether or not to allow slavery or any like issue, (today the issues are gay marriage, abortion, death penalty). The sectionalism at that time was acute, following the issues of new territories being admitted. The South was rural and fighting a losing battle of representatives in Congress.

I'm not arguing they were right, especially at slavery, but their argument was logical and not a new one. Heck, it had been argued via the anti-Federalists.

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Little bit of spin here. don't you think? Good thing you started this thread though. I was beginning to worry something bad had happened in your life and you'd lost your zing.:lol:

States Rights was one of the reasons the South seceded. Obviously, Southern states believed they had the right to secede and in disagreements with the Federal government, that the state was the deciding factor and not the Federal government. They believed they had the right to secede while the Federal government was saying they did not.

6. Orange_Juice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I don't think you understand what was going on in the 1860 election. The north in no way was telling the South what they could do about slavery in the states where it existed. The North simply wanted to stop the spread of slavery and was opposed to the inclusion of a pro-slavery Kansa into the Union because the pro-slavery settlers in Kansas hated fradulently elected a pro-slavery legislature there. How in the world "states Rights" becasme the South's fighting principle is a testament to the power of propaganda

7. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    Do some research. A tarriff was passed on manufactured goods, forcing the south to purchase their manufactured goods from the north, there was no such tarriff placed on raw goods so the north could purchase from anybody.

The south felt they weren't being represented. The final straw was when Lincoln was elected without a single vote from a southern state.

There were 4 slaveholding states that remained with the north.

The Emancipation Proclamation didn't free anybody, it exempted all slaves in northern territory and all slaves in southern territory already under northern control.

I'm amazed at the number of people in this country still uneducated about the civil war. I've had conversations with foreigners that know more about our civil war than most Americans.

South Carolina was the only state that listed "slavery" as their reason for suceeding.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  8. Orange_Juice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    But why did the seceed? The "right" is one thing, but what caused them to take the step to do it? Sure as hell wasn't anything the North did to violate states rights

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    The South wasn't happy with the idea of 'containment' that is what you are failing to understand. They wanted new lands for their cash crops, they wanted to maintain their way of life and were losing the ability to sustain the argument in the House. Their choice for secession was entirely rational.

10. Orange_Juice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    wow, just wow! You mean the tariff that was passed back when Hamilton was secretary of the treasury??? It took the south that many years to finally say enough is enough? No, that wasn't the reason. That's just silly.

And as to your trying to abrogate slavery as the cause of secession I'll let the Vice President of the Southern Confederacy answer for me:

Cornerstone Speech by Alexander H. Stephens