State of the Union

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Lookout, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Lookout

Lookout Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I tried to watch the whole thing but couldn't fight the overwhelming urge to vomit. How does that man speak and his tongue not catch fire? Talk about brain washing the American public and SPIN!!! And now he is not content opening up the trade routes to Peru and letting the cocaine in, he is going to open up the trade routes to Columbia and south america. Guess he wants to bring in the Pot, Hash and more Heroin. Here comes the 70's and 80's all over again.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    I kept hearing him use the word “trust”. We are to trust people (his people). If he wants people to trust him, then he needs to be more transparent. This is one of the biggest criticisms I have of his administration. I don’t think that even Clinton was more secretive. The Bush establishment even wanted to keep the White House Guest Book put of public view.

http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/13953.html

…Dick Cheney insisted that his visitor logs remain classified, the WaPo sued the administration for access. A federal judge eventually ruled that the logs were public information, prompting Cheney to direct the Justice Department to block the decision on national security grounds.

My distrust for the Bush administration started long ago during the Cheney Energy Task Force activities:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Task_Force

Most of the activities of the Energy Task Force had not been disclosed to the public, even though Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests (since 19 April 2001) have sought to gain access to its materials.

Of course we have all probably heard of the NSA warrantless surveillance controversy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_warrantless_surveillance_controversy

Bush may have a few good qualities but they don’t make up for the secretive nature of him and his administration. Trust – I don’t think so. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

3. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    History repeats itself and another man who did not know how to manage government throws out words and slogans in hope history forgets. Nixon/Ford, Reagan/Bush, and now Bush junior all left large messes, enormous debts, and faltering economies. And yet money and power love them as Fox faux news preaches daily. Today we have a mechanic and a dreamer, Hillary and Barack hoping to set right the mistakes of those who only cater to the rich. History repeats itself. Reagan was a dreamer too and succeeded for a while till he spent us into bankruptcy, but maybe Obama will be able to create a dream that includes more than just the rich and powerful. Or maybe we need another mechanic, someone like Hilliary to work on the mess those cannot govern create too often. Looks like Hillary or Barack v Romney. hmm...

4. Steerpike

Steerpike VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Midcan:

I don't see how anyone who is liberal can support a corrupt political family like the Clintons, or for that matter support putting into office a member of one of two families that have already been in the White House for a straight 20 years.

5. Helios

Helios Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Concur, but the Repubs aren't looking any better, Ron Paul excluded. Romney is utterly corrupt, and besides looks too much like a Ken Doll for my personal liking. If he gets any more plastic, I'm afraid he'll melt in all the spotlights.

6. bennylava

bennylava Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm just excited that it was his last SOTU. And it seemed like there wasn't very much applause for much of anything he said.

7. Steerpike

Steerpike VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I just read today that there were over 70 interruptions for applause, which is apparently quite a bit.

I thought the whole thing was a waste of time.

8. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    The sitting and standing certainly is. I remember thinking, "just get on with the damn state of the state address" when blunt jr gave his a couple weeks ago.

9. Steerpike

Steerpike VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +182
    The only thing worse than the SOTU was Gov. Sebelius extremely boring response. I heard her talk at a reception in Topeka a couple weeks ago, and she was so damn boring I could hardly take it.

10. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    I believe that is what the games on your cell phone are for.

Sometimes cell Blackjack and poker are lifesavers.