Star Wars Battlefront

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Zhukov, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Recently got this game (for XBOX) and I would like to say blasting away tauntauns with an AT-AT's forward cannon to the sound of the imperial march is truly a great pleasure.

This game really is a lot of fun. There are a number of different boards from the classic Battle of Hoth, to the final scene of Episode II on the plains of Geonosis.

On the online play you can have, I think, up to 14 real players, and a whole slew of computer controlled bots on either side including the option for heroes like Luke, Vader, and Dooku. Word of advice: If you see a hero, and they are hard to miss (the light sabre is a dead give away) save your ammo and just avoid them, they will kill you and there won't be much (read: anything) you can do about it.

Other locales include Camino, Cloud City, the forest moon of Endor, Naboo, and others.

Most boards offer either Clone Army vs. Droid army or Rebel vs. Empire, but there are a few boards that provide a choice.

If you've ever played Battlefield 1942 or Battlefield Vietnam it's similar in design to those (I never have but I'm told) in that if you see a vehicle, go ahead and jump in it if you want.

So far I've flown/driven/rode TIE Interceptors, TIE bombers, AT-ST's, AT-AT's, snow speeders (Hoth), scout speeders (Endor), Clone army walkers, CIS spider walkers, and tauntauns.

I've also seen X-Wings, A-Wings, those Droid tanks with the two large askew wheels and multiple missile launchers (from Geonosis), Clone army air support vehicles, droid cannon tanks (from Naboo) and others.

Every faction has a sniper rifle unit, a missile launcher unit, and a blaster rifle unit. The Clone army also has a few purely anti-droid weapons, and other factions have a few other specialized units you can be.

Yes, you can be a droideka, yes, you can roll, and yes, you can activate a personal deflector shield.

2. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    sounds like another great star wars game to redeem the franchise from all the bad games of the past

3. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    oh yea this game is freakin sweet. One drawback is that when playing on a LAN with friends, the AI players are complete morons. It took us all of a half hour to figure out how to own every map on hard. Kind of lost its fun after that. Online does open up some new enticements though.

4. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Does it have a non-Internet multiplayer mode? My friends and I can't afford X-Box Live, or high-speed internet for that matter.

5. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    droideka??

That something from the 'new, horrible' SW trilogy?

For some reason, I can't find much good about the newer movies, nor can I appreciate what they have to offer.

This game, however, may be worth it simply for the classic battle locations.

6. JOKER96BRAVO

JOKER96BRAVO Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Well... You can play a co-op or you can play on different sides of the mission.
    no head to head like Halo. It's more like the mission on Unreal Tournament
    where you have to obtain command posts on the battlfield and the team
    who controls the whole battlefield wins. There are also hundreds of retarded
    bots on this mode too. The main problem with playing a vs game is finding
    the other person. Still fun though. Me and my wife unlocked everything on hard
    last night, nothing special....just some still frames.

PS I told you this game was cool Z!

7. JOKER96BRAVO

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Ya they are the big rolly polly droids from episode 1 & 2!

Game is worth it, You can even hook a tow cable to an AT AT's legs and wrap
    them up to watch em fall like in Empire Strikes Back. The only thing I don't
    like is you can't go head to head and you can't play as a Jedi!

8. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Once was a game like that for Atari; my kids loved it. It was pretty tough getting the snow speeder to circle the AT AT to wrap the cable. I may have to give this game a try.

9. JOKER96BRAVO

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +285
    I remember that one!
    I like the engine on Knights of the Old Republic a lot better.
    Maybe in time we can have the perfect Star Wars game.

10. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Knights of the Old Republic was one of the better console games I've ever played, and they are making a sequel.

I've walked across the wind swept glacial plains of Hoth in an AT-AT, and I've destroyed the shield generator.

I have once been tripped, I've once abandoned my AT-AT before I was tripped, and I've also managed to destroy two speeders trying to trip me (just keep walking, and hope they fly into you), and best of all I've run into the rebel hangar, stole a snow speeder, and started firing at other speeders trying to trip other AT-AT's. Mwahaha.

What do you mean head to head? And you know if you could be a Jedi, everyone would want to be one. Though perhaps they could have allowed it in the Geonosis level...

It's actually one of the many (yes many) good things from the new triology. They are these droids with dual laser blasters on each arm that also project a personal deflector shield that repulses laser blasts (in the game the shield can only take so much damage)