St. Louis About To Erupt After Police Shooting Verdict:

MikeK

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Brick, New Jersey
Each time I follow the available reports in a sensational White cop vs Black subject incident, such as the Rodney King beating, the Michael Brown killing, etc., I start off strongly hoping there is ample justification for the police actions in the event. But in this example, the shooting to death of the fleeing Black subject of a high-speed police pursuit in St. Louis -- that happened back in 2011 -- my hope dissolved upon learning the incident began as an attempted drug arrest.

If Anthony Lamar Smith had assaulted someone, or robbed someone, or committed some offense that involved one or more victims, and then resisted arrest by fleeing, I would be satisfied that the high-speed pursuit was justified. And unless the circumstances leading to his being shot to death were blatantly improper I would be inclined to afford benefit of any doubts to the cops who pursued a fleeing, resisting subject who had harmed some innocent person(s). But because I believe the drug war, itself, is a crime against the People. and that those who enforce the drug laws oppose the best interests of society, I cannot justify this shooting because there was no good reason for it to happen.

But because I believe the drug war, itself, is a crime against the People. and that those who enforce the drug laws oppose the best interests of society, I cannot justify this shooting because there was no good reason for it to happen.

So why all of the stuff in the beginning?

The previou
But because I believe the drug war, itself, is a crime against the People. and that those who enforce the drug laws oppose the best interests of society, I cannot justify this shooting because there was no good reason for it to happen.

So why all of the stuff in the beginning?
All what stuff?
The previous two run on sentences. You talk about drug arrests, fleeing suspects and Rodney King. You then finish with a caveat which negates the point of citing detail. Kinda silly post, if you ask me.

The previous two run on sentences. You talk about drug arrests, fleeing suspects and Rodney King. You then finish with a caveat which negates the point of citing detail. Kinda silly post, if you ask me.
You're right. I apologize for the poorly structured run-on and for trying to pack too many thoughts into too few paragraphs when time was an issue. The problem is having so much to say about this subject it would take several pages to properly convey it all.

I would be interested in knowing your thoughts on this topic and specifically what you found "silly" about my (imperfect) effort. My reference to the Rodney King and Michael Brown incidents were, as indicated, sensational examples of police actions occurring under questionable circumstances. This Anthony Lamar Smith shooting seems to be headed toward a similarly destructive and costly consequence. And what for?

Rodney King did something very wrong. He drove drunk and dangerously and he was obnoxiously belligerent toward the cops who ultimately beat the hell out of him. Michael Brown was a bullying punk who physically attacked the cop who ultimately killed him. But the Smith shooting grew out of one more example of drug war nonsense, the destructive and wasteful futility of which amounts to an ongoing crime against the interests of American society.

The charges against Smith are evading arrest and hazardous driving. But the incident began with suspicion of drug activity -- which should not be a law-enforcement concern. There is a much better and far more effective way to deal with the issue of drug abuse. But in spite of the futility of the existing approach it continues day after day, year after year.

So, again, what are your thoughts about this wasteful fiasco?

You're right. I apologize for the poorly structured run-on and for trying to pack too many thoughts into too few paragraphs when time was an issue. The problem is having so much to say about this subject it would take several pages to properly convey it all.

I would be interested in knowing your thoughts on this topic and specifically what you found "silly" about my (imperfect) effort. My reference to the Rodney King and Michael Brown incidents were, as indicated, sensational examples of police actions occurring under questionable circumstances. This Anthony Lamar Smith shooting seems to be headed toward a similarly destructive and costly consequence. And what for?

Rodney King did something very wrong. He drove drunk and dangerously and he was obnoxiously belligerent toward the cops who ultimately beat the hell out of him. Michael Brown was a bullying punk who physically attacked the cop who ultimately killed him. But the Smith shooting grew out of one more example of drug war nonsense, the destructive and wasteful futility of which amounts to an ongoing crime against the interests of American society.

The charges against Smith are evading arrest and hazardous driving. But the incident began with suspicion of drug activity -- which should not be a law-enforcement concern. There is a much better and far more effective way to deal with the issue of drug abuse. But in spite of the futility of the existing approach it continues day after day, year after year.

So, again, what are your thoughts about this wasteful fiasco?
Now, Smith, was he a felon? Had he been previously convicted of any drug offenses? Did he have previous weapons charges? Was he driving a vehicle registered under his name? If yes then the police had probable suspicion to pull him over. My point is that there very well may have been multiple extenuating circumstances which led to his detention. Finally, this is St. Louis Missouri...one the most violent cities in America. Cops are on edge.

Violent career criminal out on parole crashes into police car while in possession of heroin, flees, resulting in a high speed chase, and eventually is shot by the police.

How is this outcome not a good thing? ..... :dunno:

Forum List

Back