Squirrels and Christmas Trees!

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
God bless Red Squirrels!

For the second year in a row, with 3 more years so far... available to go,

we have had the pleasure of cutting down our own Christmas tree from the landscape garden area surrounding our house!

Pesky little red squirrels have buried pine nuts in the garden and have forgotten about them! Well, in just 2 years they grow in to 7 ft tall Christmas trees!!! There are 3 more left in the garden, one 4ft and two other real tiny ones coming up!

If this continues, we will never have to buy a Christmas tree again!

It's nice that things sometimes happen like that.
They look out of place and in awkward spots in the house surround gardens, but heck! It saves us $50 bucks and they are perfect trees!

We would have to cut them down anyway because they will continue to grow 40 feet or maybe more, which would hurt the house foundation!!!!

We've been here 16 years and only two or three years ago did one of the red squirrels decide the garden next to the house, was a good place to bury his pine nut stash... I hope he or she will teach their babies to do the same thing, so the tradition continues! :)

God bless Red Squirrels!

For the second year in a row, with 3 more years so far... available to go,

we have had the pleasure of cutting down our own Christmas tree from the landscape garden area surrounding our house!

Pesky little red squirrels have buried pine nuts in the garden and have forgotten about them! Well, in just 2 years they grow in to 7 ft tall Christmas trees!!! There are 3 more left in the garden, one 4ft and two other real tiny ones coming up!

If this continues, we will never have to buy a Christmas tree again!
Those opportunist pesky critters are so busy stealing from other squirrels' clutch they forget.

Reminds me of when I took my Halloween pumpkins and threw them in the compost pile.
Come spring, the seeds sprouted and I ended up with three good sized pumpkins

Reminds me of when I took my Halloween pumpkins and threw them in the compost pile.
Come spring, the seeds sprouted and I ended up with three good sized pumpkins
It truly is amazing how it all works! The animals and birds keep our forests growing....squirrels via burying and forgetting, but other animals and birds through pooping the seeds....like apple seeds.

The apple tree was brought to New England by Pilgrims and the French up here too.

A few orchards turned in to wild apple tree heaven up here! My property had 7, now down to 4 producing apples, and they were at the edges of the lawn and woods, one in the woods, and two in the middle of the lawn, and I spotted a couple of new ones coming up at the edge of the woods.

There is not one creature, that does not eat apples around here!

The rabbits, the squirrels, the chip monks, the skunks, the raccoons, the porcupine, the deer, the turkeys, the black bears, the moose, the wood chucks, and all the birds!!!

There isn't a home or homestead in my region that doesn't have a few wild apple trees! All thanks to the creatures spreading good will! :)

Forum List

Back