Sports Trivia

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
I like the odd facts that come from sports.

Here is one of my favorites. Did you know that women once played in MLB? It was not until 1931 that Major League Baseball banned women from the teams. They claimed it was because women are too "delicate" to play such a stenuous sport. Oddly, the ban came 2 days after a pitcher named Jackie Mitchell (age 17/playing for the Chattanooga Lookouts) struck out Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig back to back. 2 days later women were banned from playing in MLB.

Now here is the trivia question for the day. Who was the first NBA player to shatter a backboard in regulation play? Anyone able to answer without using Google?

Here is one of my favorites. Did you know that women once played in MLB? It was not until 1931 that Major League Baseball banned women from the teams. They claimed it was because women are too "delicate" to play such a stenuous sport. Oddly, the ban came 2 days after a pitcher named Jackie Mitchell (age 17/playing for the Chattanooga Lookouts) struck out Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig back to back. 2 days later women were banned from playing in MLB.

Now here is the trivia question for the day. Who was the first NBA player to shatter a backboard in regulation play? Anyone able to answer without using Google?

Was it Daryl Dawkins?

Was it Daryl Dawkins?

It happened around 30 years before Dawkins played.

Here is a hint:

Chuck_Connors_The_Rifleman_1962.JPG

Was it the Rifleman? I was right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great question, it wasn't a slam dunk, it was the Rifleman, Chuck Conners.

As a 9 year old at my first MLB game, who struck out 18 Giants?

Not sure but my guess would be a Dodger, only because I think I read somewhere you are from LA. So, great Dodger pitchers And considering your age, either Drysdale, Newcombe or Koufax. Koufax was a strikeout pitcher, so I'll go with Koufax, if not great Dodger, I have no clue.

Sandy Koufax K'd 18 Giants in 1959.

I think Connors may have played a game or two for the Dodgers or the Yankees.

Forum List

Back