Sports Car Search

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DGS49, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Missourian

Missourian Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,366
    That was just due to those doors being long and heavy. Had a 76 Caddy Eldo Convertible that had the same problem.

Dollars to donuts the firebird will appreciate at least twice as much as a modern corvette will depriciate during the limited time you would own it.

2. Lewdog

Lewdog Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,666

A Mistubishi 3000GT VR-4 hard top convertible fits your definition of a sports car.

[​IMG]

I used to have a beautiful 1996 3000GT I loved.

3. DGS49

DGS49 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,318
    Good thought on the Z4. It is a car that is on my radar. Thanks for the tips on the various Porsche options. I DON'T do my own work, so would have to find a local guy who is reasonable and who works on them - a long putt, to be figurative.

I have always liked the 3000GT's, and "like" the fact that one still sees them for sale with will over 100K on the odometer, and running - it seems - fine. A low-mileage car is probably around, since it is not urgent that I buy something in a short timeframe.

I have no interest in Firebirds or Camaro's, other than the very latest Camaro, which is getting rave reviews in the car mags. The only real issue appears to be visibility, which I think I can live with. But with the ATS chassis, all signals are positive, and it is a basically good design, for once.

Ad will go up to sell my Z as soon as I'm back from vacation, then I'm on the hunt.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. DGS49

DGS49 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,318
    It appears that my Z will be sold and delivered tomorrow (Saturday, 10/14). I have one buyer "coming with cash," and two others who say that if that deal falls through they will buy it at the asking price. Seems positive.

My searching around has highlighted a few different cars, based on price, availability, and good Edmunds' consumer reviews:

• Audi S4 Convertible: comes with a 4.2L V8, and several stick shift examples are available around the country.
    • BMW M3 Convertible: Comes with 3.2L in-line 6 (335hp) and stick shift, appears to be bulletproof.
    • 2012 & later Mustang GT with 5.0L "Coyote" V8.
    • C6 Corvette (400HP V8, starting in 2005).

All can be found for $20k or less. The Camaro equivalent of the Mustang/Coyote is probably as good, but it is too big and the poor visibility would be a serious issue for my petite wife.

After due consideration I don't think I can handle the ownership drama of owning a Porsche. any time anything seemed the least bit out of kilter, I would be worrying that a multi-thousand dollar repair bill is coming.

On paper, the 'Vette probably makes the most sense, but my experience with Corvette's is perversely good. It handles so well, and handles with so little drama that you don't get to experience the thrill of driving it, unless you push it to extreme speeds. To illustrate, consider driving an old Triumph around a twisty road. The tires are screeching and the tail is trying to hang out at around 45mph; that's fun. In a Corvette, you could be texting and eating a burger at that speed on the same road.

We'll see.

5. Damaged Eagle

Damaged Eagle Highwayman Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,843
    [​IMG]

^^^Redneck sports car^^^

*****CHUCKLE*****

:cool:

6. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,978
    No...no, it doesn't. It is an overweight, overcomplicated pig. (The VR4 is nearly 4000lbs.) It is also laden with all sorts of gadgets and gizmos, which will, by now, turn the car into a possibly-unrepairable money pit.

7. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,978
    Audi S4: run away as fast as you can. Service is a nightmare. (Offhand, a timing chain tensioner job is about $4000.) Service costs are on par with Ferrari or Lamborghini.

8. Desperado

Desperado Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,000
    Porsche Cayman GT4 -The 3.8-liter flat six basically is a detuned 911 Carrera S engine. But despite having 15 less horsepower than the 911, the Cayman GT4 blasts from 0-60 miles per hour in 4.2 seconds — 0.1 seconds quicker
    Porsche unveils Cayman GT4 | Porsche Club of America
    [​IMG]

9. DGS49

DGS49 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,318
    Here's a thought: 2005/6 GTO. Basically a 'Vette, all growed up. Same motor, same trans, 4-wheel independent suspension. Looking at the magazines at the time, the only issue with them seems to be that nobody liked the styling. Looked too much like a cheap Chevy.

WGAS? A full-sized Corvette, able to carry a couple golf bags.

And there are relatively low mileage examples all over the place. People generally took care of them. When they break, they are still a Chevy, not a semi-exotic German masterpiece. Definitely worth including in the pack.

10. Godboy

Godboy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,266
    The best sports car in the world is not up for debate or a matter of opinion; its simply the Pagani Huayra ("God of Wind"). Dont argue, just accept it. Every one of them built is unique and hand made.

Horacio Pagani is a bit insane. Kind of like a Da Vinci type. Every component on the car is a work of art, even down to the nuts and bolts. The bolts that hold it together alone cost more than most peoples cars.. To give you an idea of how crazy the guy is, on the under side of the seats is an expensive piece of carbon fiber (just like what the body is made out of). When asked why he put such an expensive thing under a seat he said, "someday, someone is going to drop their keys, and when they look under the seat to retrieve them, i want it to be beautiful".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017 at 11:10 PM