Special forces ordered to stand down in Benghazi?

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
I could have sworn that someone said no one was ordered to stand down because there was no one in the area.

American Special Forces soldiers were preparing to board the C-130 that would fly them on a mission to rescue Americans under attack by terrorists in Benghazi on Sept. 11 last year, but they were stopped by a last-minute order from somebody higher up in the U.S. government, House investigators have learned.
“So Lieutenant Colonel Gibson, who is the SOCAFRICA commander, his team, you know, they were on their way to the vehicles to go to the airport to get on the C‑130 when he got a phone call from SOCAFRICA which said, you can’t go now, you don’t have authority to go now,” Gregory Hicks, deputy chief of mission at the U.S. Embassy in Libya, told the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee during an interview last month, The Washington Examiner has learned.
The committee released excerpts of the interview ahead of a congressional hearing that will take place on Wednesday.

Whistle-blower: Benghazi rescue team told to stand down before second deadly attack | WashingtonExaminer.com

We even have a name for a source within the State Department, he was the number 2 man in Libya.

The deputy of slain U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens has told congressional investigators that a team of Special Forces prepared to fly from Tripoli to Benghazi during the Sept. 11, 2012 attacks was forbidden from doing so by U.S. Special Operations Command South Africa.The account from Gregory Hicks is in stark contrast to assertions from the Obama administration, which insisted that nobody was ever told to stand down and that all available resources were utilized. Hicks gave private testimony to congressional investigators last month in advance of his upcoming appearance at a congressional hearing Wednesday.
According to excerpts released Monday, Hicks told investigators that SOCAFRICA commander Lt. Col. Gibson and his team were on their way to board a C-130 from Tripoli for Benghazi prior to an attack on a second U.S. compound "when [Col. Gibson] got a phone call from SOCAFRICA which said, 'you can't go now, you don't have the authority to go now.' And so they missed the flight ... They were told not to board the flight, so they missed it."
No assistance arrived from the U.S. military outside of Libya during the hours that Americans were under attack or trapped inside compounds by hostile forces armed with rocket-propelled grenades, mortars and AK-47 rifles.

Diplomat: U.S. Special Forces told "you can't go" to Benghazi during attacks - CBS News

Not to worry though, we know who to blame for no one talking about it.

Benghazi returning as big scandal - Salon.com

Why would the state dept. tell them to stand down? What possible reason could they have for NOT permitting rescue of our own Americans?

I guess I should not be surprised there are umpteen topics on this already. And I expect there will be umpteen more.

The second rescue team was awaiting permission from the Libyan government to fly the C-130 in their airspace. That was the cause of the delay. The "stand down" order never existed. A stand down order, for those of you who are completely ignorant of all things military, means to stop all preparations and return to base and go back to sleep or whatever it was you were doing.

This was not a stand down order. It was a stand BY order. They were awaiting permission. They were not told to stand down. The "stand down" myth was created by Fox News and perpetuated by politicians who don't know shit from shinola when it comes to the military.

The stand by order came from their MILITARY superiors.

It was a State Department official who worked all night to finally get permission from the Libyans.

By the time they were allowed to leave, the second and last attack had already occurred.

Four people died. The ambassador and a computer information officer at the consulate in Benghazi during the first attack. Then two members of the first rescue team during the second attack which occurred at the annex seven and a half hours later.

Last edited:
CBS is reporting that Ambassador Stevens deputy has testified that Special Forces were forbidden going to Benghazi by U.S. Special Operations Command South Africa.

Parts of his testimony is at the link.

Hicks told congressional investigators that if the U.S. had quickly sent a military aircraft over Benghazi, it might have saved American lives.

The U.S. Souda Bay Naval Base is an hour's flight from Libya.

"I believe if we had been able to scramble a fighter or aircraft or two over Benghazi as quickly as possible after the attack commenced, I believe there would not have been a mortar attack on the annex in the morning because I believe the Libyans would have split.

They would have been scared to death that we would have gotten a laser on them and killed them," Hicks testified. Two Americans died in the morning mortar attack.

Diplomat: U.S. Special Forces told "you can't go" to Benghazi during attacks - CBS News

Who gave the order?

No one was told to stand down. The second rescue team was told to stand by. They had to wait for permission from the Libyans to fly their C-130 in Libyan airpace and that took time.

The "stand down" myth was started by Fox News and is perpetuated by politicians who don't know shit from shinola about the military and who like to sneak that "stand down order" into soundbites. You can tell this by reading the testimony.

The order to stand by was given by their military superiors until permission could be gained from the Libyans.

A State Department official worked all night to get that permission. By the time he got it, it was too late. By the time the second rescue team left, the second attack had occured and two people from the first rescue team had been killed.

Last edited:
I could have sworn that someone said no one was ordered to stand down because there was no one in the area.

American Special Forces soldiers were preparing to board the C-130 that would fly them on a mission to rescue Americans under attack by terrorists in Benghazi on Sept. 11 last year, but they were stopped by a last-minute order from somebody higher up in the U.S. government, House investigators have learned.
“So Lieutenant Colonel Gibson, who is the SOCAFRICA commander, his team, you know, they were on their way to the vehicles to go to the airport to get on the C‑130 when he got a phone call from SOCAFRICA which said, you can’t go now, you don’t have authority to go now,” Gregory Hicks, deputy chief of mission at the U.S. Embassy in Libya, told the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee during an interview last month, The Washington Examiner has learned.
The committee released excerpts of the interview ahead of a congressional hearing that will take place on Wednesday.

Whistle-blower: Benghazi rescue team told to stand down before second deadly attack | WashingtonExaminer.com

We even have a name for a source within the State Department, he was the number 2 man in Libya.

The deputy of slain U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens has told congressional investigators that a team of Special Forces prepared to fly from Tripoli to Benghazi during the Sept. 11, 2012 attacks was forbidden from doing so by U.S. Special Operations Command South Africa.The account from Gregory Hicks is in stark contrast to assertions from the Obama administration, which insisted that nobody was ever told to stand down and that all available resources were utilized. Hicks gave private testimony to congressional investigators last month in advance of his upcoming appearance at a congressional hearing Wednesday.
According to excerpts released Monday, Hicks told investigators that SOCAFRICA commander Lt. Col. Gibson and his team were on their way to board a C-130 from Tripoli for Benghazi prior to an attack on a second U.S. compound "when [Col. Gibson] got a phone call from SOCAFRICA which said, 'you can't go now, you don't have the authority to go now.' And so they missed the flight ... They were told not to board the flight, so they missed it."
No assistance arrived from the U.S. military outside of Libya during the hours that Americans were under attack or trapped inside compounds by hostile forces armed with rocket-propelled grenades, mortars and AK-47 rifles.

Not to worry though, we know who to blame for no one talking about it.

Benghazi returning as big scandal - Salon.com

Apologies QW I didn't see your thread and I started one. I'll find a mod to delete mine.

Q: I just wanted to ask, you mentioned permission from the Libyans. Why is that important? What did you mean by that?

A: Well, it's their country. And for an American military aircraft to fly over their country, we have to have permission from them to do so.

Q: So you had mentioned that the first team from Tripoli to Benghazi arrived at 1:15?

A: Right.

The two men killed at the annex were from this first rescue team.

Q: And was there a second team that was organized? Could you tell us about the second team?

A: Right. The second team -- the Defense Attache worked assiduously all night long to try to get the Libyan military to respond in some way. Early in the morning -- sorry, after we were formally notified by the Prime Minister, who called me, that Chris had passed, the Libyan military agreed to fly their C-130 to Benghazi and carry additional personnel to Benghazi as reinforcements. Because we at that time -- at that time, the third attack, the mortar attack at 5:15, had not yet occurred, if I remember correctly.

Q: So what time did the second rescue team ??

A: Well, again, they flew -- I think that flight took off sometime between 6:00 and 6:30 a.m.

The second attack was over by then. And notice he says the aircraft was the Libyan's aircraft. It was not ours.

Now I would like everyone to note that tinydancer said in the topic title that the second team was told "you can't go".

This feeds into the bullshit meme of a "stand down order".

However, here is what the guy actually said:

So Lieutenant Colonel Gibson, who is the SOCAFRICA commander, his team, you know, they were on their way to the vehicles to go to the airport to get on the C-130 when he got a phone call from SOCAFRICA which said, you can't go now, you don't have authority to go now. And so they missed the flight. And, of course, this meant that one of the ...

You can't go now. That is not a stand down order. That is a stand by order.

Permission was needed from the Libyans. It was their aircraft.

Last edited:
I guess I should not be surprised there are umpteen topics on this already. And I expect there will be umpteen more.

The second rescue team was awaiting permission from the Libyan government to fly the C-130 in their airspace. That was the cause of the delay. The "stand down" order never existed. A stand down order, for those of you who are completely ignorant of all things military, means to stop all preparations and return to base and go back to sleep or whatever it was you were doing.

This was not a stand down order. It was a stand BY order. They were awaiting permission. They were not told to stand down. The "stand down" myth was created by Fox News and perpetuated by politicians who don't know shit from shinola when it comes to the military.

The stand by order came from their MILITARY superiors.

It was a State Department official who worked all night to finally get permission from the Libyans.

By the time they were allowed to leave, the second and last attack had already occurred.

Four people died. The ambassador and a computer information officer at the consulate in Benghazi during the first attack. Then two members of the first rescue team during the second attack which occurred at the annex seven and a half hours later.

You seriously expect me to believe they needed permission from the Government of Libya to enter Libya for a flight from Tripoli to Benghazi, both of which are in Libya? Keep in mind that this was the exact same flight that the State Department loaded a team on to fly to the rescue.

Perhaps you should take some time to read the links I provide before providing the same arguments you used months ago.

Who gave the order?

No one was told to stand down. The second rescue team was told to stand by. They had to wait for permission from the Libyans to fly their C-130 in Libyan airpace and that took time.

The "stand down" myth was started by Fox News and is perpetuated by politicians who don't know shit from shinola about the military and who like to sneak that "stand down order" into soundbites. You can tell this by reading the testimony.

The order to stand by was given by their military superiors until permission could be gained from the Libyans.

A State Department official worked all night to get that permission. By the time he got it, it was too late. By the time the second rescue team left, the second attack had occured and two people from the first rescue team had been killed.

Unless this guy is lying, which you are going to have to provide evidence of, they were told to stand down by SOCAfrica.

Q: I just wanted to ask, you mentioned permission from the Libyans. Why is that important? What did you mean by that?

A: Well, it's their country. And for an American military aircraft to fly over their country, we have to have permission from them to do so.
Q: So you had mentioned that the first team from Tripoli to Benghazi arrived at 1:15?

A: Right.
The two men killed at the annex were from this first rescue team.

Q: And was there a second team that was organized? Could you tell us about the second team?

A: Right. The second team -- the Defense Attache worked assiduously all night long to try to get the Libyan military to respond in some way. Early in the morning -- sorry, after we were formally notified by the Prime Minister, who called me, that Chris had passed, the Libyan military agreed to fly their C-130 to Benghazi and carry additional personnel to Benghazi as reinforcements. Because we at that time -- at that time, the third attack, the mortar attack at 5:15, had not yet occurred, if I remember correctly.

Q: So what time did the second rescue team ??

A: Well, again, they flew -- I think that flight took off sometime between 6:00 and 6:30 a.m.
The second attack was over by then. And notice he says the aircraft was the Libyan's aircraft. It was not ours.

Now I would like everyone to note that tinydancer said in the topic title that the second team was told "you can't go".

This feeds into the bullshit meme of a "stand down order".

However, here is what the guy actually said:

So Lieutenant Colonel Gibson, who is the SOCAFRICA commander, his team, you know, they were on their way to the vehicles to go to the airport to get on the C-130 when he got a phone call from SOCAFRICA which said, you can't go now, you don't have authority to go now. And so they missed the flight. And, of course, this meant that one of the ...
You can't go now. That is not a stand down order. That is a stand by order.

Permission was needed from the Libyans. It was their aircraft.

The "second" rescue team was ready to bard the same flight that the "first" team climbed aboard, which was an internal flight inside Libya. Why would they need permission to enter Libya when they were already there?

Who gave the order?

Sounds like Ailes M.O.
Roger Ailes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ailes was a media consultant for Republican presidents Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, and George H. W. Bush

The right is going to blow their minds when this stupid crap doesnt work yet again

If the Fox claim is true, which is not likely but is possible, a person gave the order.

Until that person's name is out there, the story is not credible.

My point is that every notable military failure in modern history tracks back to a name.
Let's have the name or admit it is just more hot air from anti-American influences.

On hannitys radio show today the guy who operated one of the drones over the consulate called in and said they provided real time video of the attack. Oops...

If the Fox claim is true, which is not likely but is possible, a person gave the order.

Until that person's name is out there, the story is not credible.

My point is that every notable military failure in modern history tracks back to a name.
Let's have the name or admit it is just more hot air from anti-American influences.

First and foremost this is not a claim made by FOX news. This testimony by Hicks is being reported by everyone.

I doubt that Gregory Hicks is anti American or a liar.

Hicks has put in 22 years as a foreign service diplomat and was Ambassador Stevens Deputy.

The only proven liars to date are the White House and Obama's administration for lying continually that it was a video that caused the raid on the Benghazi compound.

Here's an NBC link. I can give you many others if you need to have it proven to you that FOX didn't make up jack shit.

Sheesh.

Gregory Hicks, then deputy chief of the U.S. diplomatic mission in Libya, told investigators for the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee that U.S. officials had persuaded the Libyan government to allow the Special Forces operatives to board the rescue flight from Tripoli to Benghazi.

But an officer received a phone call telling them to stand down before they left for the airport, according to excerpts of his account made available to NBC News on Monday. That conversation occurred after the U.S. ambassador to Libya and another American had been killed in the initial attack, but hours before a second attack that killed two other Americans.

Official: US Special Forces team wasn't allowed to fly to Benghazi during attack - Open Channel

Last edited:
Audio: Benghazi Drone Operator to Hannity: ‘We Were Not Allowed To Be Armed, That Night’
May, 6, 2013 — nicedeb
Sean Hannity took a call from a member of the military who claimed to be the camera operator for the Predator drone mission over Benghazi on the night of September 12, 2012. The caller, who identified himself as John from Iowa, said he knew immediately that the Regime was lying about what happened, but due to non-disclosure agreements was prevented from saying anything. He said when they started observing the consulate, it was already under attack and on fire. He remembered seeing a crowd of dozens if not hundreds of fighters outside the consulate and noted dryly, ” if this was a protest, it would have been a protest for all ages.” They soon were asked to monitor the CIA annex where they were to make sure no one was trying to break into it, not that there was much he could do about it, because of the Status of Forces agreement we have with the host country where he was located. “We were not allowed to be armed, that night”, he said.

He said, since the live video in Benghazi was being disseminated to multiple agencies throughout the world, and the State Dept surely would have been alerted.

I’m transcribing this next part exactly as stated:

“We had a supportive unit that we were working for in that region that told us to go there. It was known prior to us even taking off from the location we took off from which I can’t name, that ‘hey, you’re going to be going to the consulate because there are reports that something might go down or is going down.’ So…it was already known in my mind - hours before.”

Hello Darrell Issa? Why has no one from your committee contacted this man, or requested these videos?

About these ads

Share this:
Twitter12
Digg
LinkedIn
Pinterest
Tumblr
Reddit
Facebook2
StumbleUpon
Email
Google +1
Like this:
Posted in BenghaziGate, Regime, WOW!. 2 Comments »

Benghazi Benghazi you little nutter's will kiss Queen Hillary's ass for 8 fucking years & love it . lmfao Benghazi Benghazi.

Forum List

Back