Chinese "Getting It", Already!!

Mr. Shaman

May 4, 2010
Already, some have tired of back-stabbing, throat-cutting Capitali$m....

"Six years ago, Bei Yi did something many people considered crazy. He quit a high-paying job in Shanghai as a manager at an industrial glass company, sold his car and apartment, and left one of China’s most desirable cities. His destination: the town of Lijiang, deep in China’s poor southwest province of Yunnan, once a place of banishment for those who ran afoul of the emperor.

Friends and family were perplexed. “‘How can you come from such a lively, important city and move to a far-off mountain area to live?’ they all asked me. They didn’t understand at all,” recalls Bei, now 34 and proprietor of a guesthouse in Lijiang’s old city, which features rushing streams and ancient alleys. “In some ways, my life in Shanghai would have been considered quite good,” he says, sipping Pu’er tea in the bright sunshine on a recent Friday, with his Old English sheepdog lying nearby. “But I was not happy at all.”

econ_china1913__01__inline405.jpg

"Who's ready to smoke a joint?"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf0Dm-OaTNk]"Going up the Country" - Canned Heat / WOODSTOCK '69 - YouTube[/ame]​

Last edited:

Forum List

Back