Space news and Exploration II

NASA Proves Water Existed on Mars

18 years have passed since scientists from NASA tried to prove that water once existed on Mars and now, the theory is back with even stronger arguments. According to a team of experts at the agency’s Johnson Space Center in Houston and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, aMartian meteorite called Yamato 000593 contains distinct structures and compositional characteristics which could suggest that biological processes happened on Mars hundreds of millions of years ago. The meteorite, which was discovered in Antarctica approximately 50,000 years ago, was formed about 1.3 billion years ago from a lava flow. The team from NASA also suggests that an event caused the meteorite to detach from Mars around 12 million years ago.

amso IR responds

(quote)
The meteorite, which was discovered in Antarctica approximately 50,000 years ago, was formed about 1.3 billion years ago,,,(quote"

Does the scientific community happen to have the name of the individual who found this rock approximately 50,000 years ago in the Antarctica? Was he, she an American? I have a small problem with 50,000 years. Some where around 49,900 years, give or take.

18 years have passed since scientists from NASA tried to prove that water once existed on Mars and now, the theory is back with even stronger arguments. According to a team of experts at the agency’s Johnson Space Center in Houston and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, aMartian meteorite called Yamato 000593 contains distinct structures and compositional characteristics which could suggest that biological processes happened on Mars hundreds of millions of years ago. The meteorite, which was discovered in Antarctica approximately 50,000 years ago, was formed about 1.3 billion years ago from a lava flow. The team from NASA also suggests that an event caused the meteorite to detach from Mars around 12 million years ago.

amso IR responds

(quote)
The meteorite, which was discovered in Antarctica approximately 50,000 years ago, was formed about 1.3 billion years ago,,,(quote"

Does the scientific community happen to have the name of the individual who found this rock approximately 50,000 years ago in the Antarctica? Was he, she an American? I have a small problem with 50,000 years. Some where around 49,900 years, give or take.

There's ways to date objects but of course I wouldn't expect someone that hates science to understand this.

amso IR responds

(quote)

There's ways to date objects but of course I wouldn't expect someone that hates science to understand this.

I amso IR responds;

Matthew, the quote which you posted and also myself, when read carefully

amso IR responds

(quote)

I amso IR responds

Matthew, forgive me for being so silly as the quotes shown above, when read with understanding and clarity of thought seem to indicate the rock in question was found, located, recovered, some 50,000 years ago. Ergo, my slight problem with 49,900 year problem, give or take. Being a history buff, of sorts, it seems to me that the possibility exists that an error might in fact have been stated by the original writer of that article and by yourself for quoting said error. You see Matt, brace yourself, some true scoop coming your way, 50,000 years ago there were not an awful lot of folks exploring the Antarctica. 50,000 years ago, there was not even a BIC lighter to light your funny cigarette. Matt, 50,000 years ago, believe it or not, there were not even cell phones because batteries had not been made yet, at least on this planet. You might be a scientist Matt, but you are failing history badly, as 50,000 years ago there were no people wandering around Antarctica looking for rocks from outer space since no one, if anyone, had even used the term "outer space". 50,000 years ago, Matthew, I will even make it darker for you, 50,000 years ago, which your article states was when the rock was found, is prior to the settlement of the Western Hemisphere, hence my questioning of the rock being found at that point in time. Now I realize you "outer space" types simply love to talk in terms of billions. That is ok by me. But get your facts straight as to how long mankind has been prancing around the earth looking for space rocks. Is this plain enough for you Matthew? I do not hate science, Matt, I watch it daily on the Science Channel, History Channel, NASA Channel and I even read texts on space. Yes I can and do read and also comprehend. But as for your 50,000 year old expeditions to the Antarctica, that sucks! It did not happen, Matt!
Cordially Yours, I am so IR.

amso IR responds

(quote)

I amso IR responds;

Matthew, the quote which you posted and also myself, when read carefully

amso IR responds

(quote)

I amso IR responds

Matthew, forgive me for being so silly as the quotes shown above, when read with understanding and clarity of thought seem to indicate the rock in question was found, located, recovered, some 50,000 years ago. Ergo, my slight problem with 49,900 year problem, give or take. Being a history buff, of sorts, it seems to me that the possibility exists that an error might in fact have been stated by the original writer of that article and by yourself for quoting said error. You see Matt, brace yourself, some true scoop coming your way, 50,000 years ago there were not an awful lot of folks exploring the Antarctica. 50,000 years ago, there was not even a BIC lighter to light your funny cigarette. Matt, 50,000 years ago, believe it or not, there were not even cell phones because batteries had not been made yet, at least on this planet. You might be a scientist Matt, but you are failing history badly, as 50,000 years ago there were no people wandering around Antarctica looking for rocks from outer space since no one, if anyone, had even used the term "outer space". 50,000 years ago, Matthew, I will even make it darker for you, 50,000 years ago, which your article states was when the rock was found, is prior to the settlement of the Western Hemisphere, hence my questioning of the rock being found at that point in time. Now I realize you "outer space" types simply love to talk in terms of billions. That is ok by me. But get your facts straight as to how long mankind has been prancing around the earth looking for space rocks. Is this plain enough for you Matthew? I do not hate science, Matt, I watch it daily on the Science Channel, History Channel, NASA Channel and I even read texts on space. Yes I can and do read and also comprehend. But as for your 50,000 year old expeditions to the Antarctica, that sucks! It did not happen, Matt!
Cordially Yours, I am so IR.

I amso IR responds

Matthew, I ask you to forgive my snide remarks in the above posts. My momma would not be proud of me and frankly neither am I. I apologize. The rock in question, I believe, was found during 2003, in Antarctica, not 50,000 years ago as reported and is thought to be over 1 billion years old. There is an article on Space.com with reference to the rock. Again, sorry for the rebuke, not my true style. Also, I live for both history and science as hobbies. The subjects inter mesh well and have so much to offer and learn from. I amso IR.

amso IR responds

(quote)

It is no doubt a typo but, as there were no humans in Antarctica 50,000 years ago, he has a point. Matthew you really need to calm down a bit. Your accusations that repubs hate science is not born out by fact and merely serves to mark you as a shrill, hysterical, child.

amso IR responds

(quote)

It is no doubt a typo but, as there were no humans in Antarctica 50,000 years ago, he has a point. Matthew you really need to calm down a bit. Your accusations that repubs hate science is not born out by fact and merely serves to mark you as a shrill, hysterical, child.

There's carbon and argon dating that we can do to find the age of the impact. If we couldn't do that then how could we even tell how old all the other old impacts were.

If we can tell 65 million years ago we certainly can tell one when one happens 50,000...Wouldn't you agree??

It just makes me angry to see people attack and went to do away with the best science institutions on this planet. Most of this world could only dream to have we enjoy and yet so many can't see this..I've criticized them many times in my life, but I could see the great value that they bring to this country. I have a serious problem hearing people demand that we defund them. Demand accountability, not destruction of our national ability to adapt in our world.

amso IR responds

(quote)

There's carbon and argon dating that we can do to find the age of the impact. If we couldn't do that then how could we even tell how old all the other old impacts were.

If we can tell 65 million years ago we certainly can tell one when one happens 50,000...Wouldn't you agree??

It just makes me angry to see people attack and went to do away with the best science institutions on this planet. Most of this world could only dream to have we enjoy and yet so many can't see this..I've criticized them many times in my life, but I could see the great value that they bring to this country. I have a serious problem hearing people demand that we defund them. Demand accountability, not destruction of our national ability to adapt in our world.

Most of those methods won't tell you when an object fell to Earth. Fortunately, with the Antarctic, we have a good way of estimation with the ice buildup. I agree with you on the accountability vs defunding of the various science programs. Sadly though, the bureaucrats run the show and they are corrupt. The only way to deal with corruption is defunding the way our government is set up. Currently.

Hopefully someone much smarter than us will come along and develop a method to watch the bean counters so that the money gets funneled to where it is needed most.

Scramjet-based project looks to blast Australia into space
By Darren Quick - August 9, 2015 1 Picture

The list of spacefaring nations remains small, but thanks to continuing advances in technology that promise to reduce the financial and logistical hurdles involved, the numbers are set to increase. One country that could be joining the club, if the University of Queensland (UQ) and Heliaq Advanced Engineering get their way, is Australia. The two are teaming up on a project intended to deliver payloads weighing from 50 to 500 kg (110 to 1,102 lb) into orbit.

Space Kale on Menu

CL_WAONUYAA-VUu.jpg

On the space station menu for today, Read the story @ Astronauts to eat first space-grown food - CNN.com

amso IR responds

(quote)

I am so IR responds

westwall, yes, I had a point but played it badly. I meant my original post to have a bit of humor, not realizing who/what I was dealing with. That is why I apologized for my reaction. Trying to figure some of these folks is a challenge. I have been to Reddit and other sites and quite frankly get sick and tired of the childish crap people post. I was hoping this site would prove different as it offers a varied and wide selection of topics and degrees of civility. As I told another, wish in one hand and crap in the other, see which fills first! I wish to be civil and learn, but 95% are unwilling to or cannot for reasons of their own. Just wanted you as a mod to understand I am not a total jerk, yet! Nice talking to someone who seemingly understands. Thanx

amso IR responds

(quote)

I am so IR responds

westwall, yes, I had a point but played it badly. I meant my original post to have a bit of humor, not realizing who/what I was dealing with. That is why I apologized for my reaction. Trying to figure some of these folks is a challenge. I have been to Reddit and other sites and quite frankly get sick and tired of the childish crap people post. I was hoping this site would prove different as it offers a varied and wide selection of topics and degrees of civility. As I told another, wish in one hand and crap in the other, see which fills first! I wish to be civil and learn, but 95% are unwilling to or cannot for reasons of their own. Just wanted you as a mod to understand I am not a total jerk, yet! Nice talking to someone who seemingly understands. Thanx

Your lofty ideals and hopes are certainly laudatory but sadly I fear you will be disappointed. This is a community of people. People being what they are you will have liars and scoundrels and perverts all posting at the same time. You will also, fortunately, have some good reasoned people posting here. Our mission is to separate the wheat from the chaff and as is true in the real world there is far more chaff than wheat.

I guess I am just a stupid liar even through I spent over 22 years of my life learning about science. Makes me feel sad and hurt. :frown:

Should I even try to keep people informed anymore? I simply said that I trusted nasa and that there's ways to find the age of said impacts....Some of the libertarian members on this board makes me feel that republicans really do want to defund science so maybe I am generalizing on this but I guess when I am in intense debate my emotions do weird things.

I guess I am just a stupid liar even through I spent over 22 years of my life learning about science. Makes me feel sad and hurt. :frown:

Should I even try to keep people informed anymore? I simply said that I trusted nasa and that there's ways to find the age of said impacts....Some of the libertarian members on this board makes me feel that republicans really do want to defund science so maybe I am generalizing on this but I guess when I am in intense debate my emotions do weird things.

I amso IR responds;

Matt, come on guy, stop whipping on yourself and take time to really, read responses. I cannot think folks are simply picking on you for the fun of it. When I read the post with regards to the Mars rock, the statement that it had been "discovered" 50,000 years ago jumped out to me. If I may offer a bit of friendly advice. Instead of posting every article you feel the need to post, narrow your search down to one or two and build on them. That way your readers will be able to focus on a particular subject and follow it. You cannot please all folks all of the time, Matt. So concentrate on those who are interested in what you say. Above all, proof read what you post to insure it is accurate and to the point. I do not think you are a dummy, Matt. A tad over zealous perhaps, but not a dummy. Have a nice day. :420:I amso IR

amso IR responds

(quote)

I am so IR responds

Your lofty ideals and hopes are certainly laudatory but sadly I fear you will be disappointed. This is a community of people. People being what they are you will have liars and scoundrels and perverts all posting at the same time. You will also, fortunately, have some good reasoned people posting here. Our mission is to separate the wheat from the chaff and as is true in the real world there is far more chaff than wheat.

amso IR responds

(quote)

I am so IR responds

I amso IR responds;

You seem to have a warm spot for the Lockheed "Blackbird". I made a career of the Army so never had anything to do with it. However, it has kept my attention for many years. She was and still is "one of a kind". I walked around one on display in Nebraska and was overwhelmed by her size. She was and I suppose still is leaking on the tarmac. She could move over the ground quickly but was a hungry beast from what I understand. I envy you, if you have stick time. Rockets be damned, 71 is where it is and always will be. Regards, I am so IR.
P.S. I chuckle when folks talk about verticle climb. I watched a U2 do that years ago, out of Ton Sa Nut, RVN. Thrust is nothing new! A hammer is not pretty and is clumsy, but will attain Mach 5, if that is one's intent. Looks are a plus for the 71, absolutely beautiful!

Astronomers discover new planet orbiting two stars
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/08/150810162049.htm
A team of astronomers including a San Francisco State University researcher has discovered a new planet orbiting a pair of stars, the 10th "circumbinary" planet discovered by NASA's Kepler Mission and a milestone for the 6-year-old spacecraft.

The planet, known as Kepler-453b, is located within its host stars' "habitable zone," the area around the stars in which life could potentially exist. And the somewhat fortuitous nature of its discovery indicate there could be more like it than previously believed, according to Stephen Kane, an assistant professor of physics and astronomy at San Francisco State University and member of the team that made the discovery.

"If we had observed this planet earlier or later than we did, we would have seen nothing and assumed there was no planet there," Kane said. "That suggests that there are a lot more of these kinds of planets than we are thinking, and we're just looking at the wrong time."

This is amazing ;) Amazing that we got lucky enough to spot it or we'd have to wait another half century. Luck!

Last edited:
amso IR responds

(quote)

I am so IR responds

I amso IR responds;

You seem to have a warm spot for the Lockheed "Blackbird". I made a career of the Army so never had anything to do with it. However, it has kept my attention for many years. She was and still is "one of a kind". I walked around one on display in Nebraska and was overwhelmed by her size. She was and I suppose still is leaking on the tarmac. She could move over the ground quickly but was a hungry beast from what I understand. I envy you, if you have stick time. Rockets be damned, 71 is where it is and always will be. Regards, I am so IR.
P.S. I chuckle when folks talk about verticle climb. I watched a U2 do that years ago, out of Ton Sa Nut, RVN. Thrust is nothing new! A hammer is not pretty and is clumsy, but will attain Mach 5, if that is one's intent. Looks are a plus for the 71, absolutely beautiful!

I have a little bit of stick time in a F-86 but that's it for fast movers.

The first one was getting long so I made a second one ;) I hope you all enjoy.

Link back to the first one
Space exploration thread US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Star next door may host a 'superhabitable' world
15:58 31 January 2014 by Jeff Hecht
For similar stories, visit the Astrobiology Topic Guide

Star next door may host a 'superhabitable' world - space - 31 January 2014 - New Scientist

Earth may be our home, but another planet even cosier for life could be orbiting the star next door. A detailed analysis of what might make planets suitable for life says that Alpha Centauri B, the star closest to our sun, would be the perfect star to host a "superhabitable" planet – a world of islands, shallow seas and gentle slopes, where the conditions needed to support a diverse array of life forms would persist for up to 10 billion years. But the near-paradise would come at a cost to visitors from Earth: the pull of gravity would be about one-quarter stronger than on our home turf.
I just heard on NPR scientists met in Hawaii and concluded the universe is getting old. It is dying. It was all burning brighter a billion years ago. Don't ask me how they learned this but Christians now know roughly how much time before the end of days.

You ready to know how much time we have left? About 10 billion years left. So we've already hit our midlife crisis 2 billion years ago. It's all downhill from here.

Forum List

Back