Sourdough

I belonged to a couple of sourdough groups. Fascinating. Measurements and timing can result in consistency...ppl who make it for other ppl keep records of what they're doing. It's overwhelming for me...to schedule and weigh and record...for bread that quite honestly is often better store bought.

BUT here I am again..I am fond of sourdough panckes and biscuits and the occasional bread.

And I haven't made English muffins yet. If I can make my own, I'll be happy forever.

Behold the glory of sourdough starter....made the second batch of sourdough pancakes today...yummy.
WP_20150822_003.jpg

Your bugs look healthy and well fed, KG. I'm trying to talk myself into mixing up a batch of dough but my starter can wait until tomorrow or Monday.

I like it sour and it isn't yet..the kids like it like tho :) My sis bought me some King Arthur containers, a basket and cloth liner that I have never used till now. That's the small container....

That is, the kids like it mild tho. Using my phone....can't use edit function and spell check screws with stuff

I like it sour and it isn't yet..the kids like it like tho :) My sis bought me some King Arthur containers, a basket and cloth liner that I have never used till now. That's the small container....

Do you have a banneton? These work really well for proofing high hydration doughs.

811323p.jpg

Do you have a banneton? These work really well for proofing high hydration doughs.

811323p.jpg
Shore do but haven't used it yet. Soon!

Shore do but haven't used it yet. Soon!

Don't use the cloth liner. Liberally dust the banneton with flour then place the dough seam side up to proof. The pattern will look like this and make you feel like a professional baker.

Banneton6.jpg

The starter is taking off, bubbling away. Made pancakes today...added a little of my son's leftover beer from last nite, they were AMAZING. The kids aren't crazy for them, that's what I deal with. The older boys like sourdough bread but they don't live at home. But I can give stuff away...

Americans love a sweet breakfast, KG, and sourdough works best as savory. A lot of cultures eat savory pancakes or waffles for dinner but I like them for breakfast too. Green onion, mushroom and poblano chili, sourdough pancake.

Americans love a sweet breakfast, KG, and sourdough works best as savory. A lot of cultures eat savory pancakes or waffles for dinner but I like them for breakfast too. Green onion, mushroom and poblano chili, sourdough pancake.
Yum....

To me sweet or cocoa defeats the purpose of sourdough. I love the taste of light rye bread but once molasses, cocoa and coffee are added to make dark rye, it completely overpowers the rye. I do like the look of dark rye but I prefer to taste the rye.

You still taste the sour, it's yum. I was raised on my mom's sourdough, we always ate it with syrup.

I also make potato pancakes....latkes. Served with sour cream, green onions...and sweetened applesauce. Mmmmm.

First loaf is rising..we'll see how this goes. The timing is hard for me because I can't sit right on top and watch it, not even just to figure out the timing. Unless I do it at night and that gets to be brutal.

I spaced out and slashed the dough then thought DOH you do that right before you bake it...that's okay, it'll be bottom down and invisible anyway. Excited! Let's hope it actually rises.

They say a tool doesn't make the craftsman but a tool like a banneton certainly improves the overall appearance and makes me want to keep learning.

They say a tool doesn't make the craftsman but a tool like a banneton certainly improves the overall appearance and makes me want to keep learning.
There is a lot of stuff that isn't necessary, but just makes it more fun..and consistent. I've made some nice loaves without a banneton, but I have also had some very *rustic* looking ones because of trying to get a rise and transferring and stuff.....

Forum List

Back