Sound Familiar KL ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Big D

Asian Students Fear for Their Safety

June 8, 2004 — There was a protest Tuesday by Vietnamese students in South Philadelphia who insist that they're not being treated fairly by their school, and the people who run it.

Some of the parents who have children at Southwark School are concerned that their children are not being treated fairly and they believe it's because they are Asian. This morning they staged a protest.

Dozens of members of South Philadelphia's Vietnamese community demonstrated outside Southward School at 9th and Mifflin. They cite at least 5 incidents where Vietnamese students were allegedly beaten by African American students and that the Principal Anna Jenkins doesn't address the problem.
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/060804_nw_schoolprotest.html

KL, what happened to you when you tried to "protest" your son being beaten at the all black school he attended?

I was attacked and bullied myself.
ugh.

It was scary, but I was too amazed and pissed at first to have the common sense to BE scared. I got scared quickly enough.

Before any of the rest of you again try to label ME of all people a racist due to any of my comments in any of these threads,I would say the following to you...

1. If you are young and dont have children, you wont be able to fully understand - Im not 'dissing' you - its a simple fact. I wont respond to any derrogatory remark you make, so save your finger strength in typing such remarks.

2. In less than 6 months, my child has been abducted and beaten by 2 black males as a result of the housing circling the estates that we lived in, in dallas texas. AND he was beaten severely in the damn near completely black school for being white. as a result, his spleen was enlarged and still has to be monitored. His esteem is nothing now - he is afraid to make friends, yet is dying on the vine for want of 1 simple friendship.
How would you feel if it were YOUR child.

3. If you havent been in my shoes; searching out therapists, handling the nightly nightmares, seeing the fear and having a child damn near afraid to even go outside his own front door, then I can only say one thing as crude as it may sound....stfu.

KL, I've not seen anything to make me feel like your a racist. I feel so bad for your son, yourself and DK. Experience colors our perspectives, no doubt on that. I think of myself open to 'diversity' and have no problems with Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, etc., then again, my only dealings with members of these groups have been generally positive. I know my perceptions on Arabs is different post 9/11, I ALSO know that not all extreme Muslims are Arabs and vice versa. Rationality has nothing to do with it.

KL, that is sooooo sad. I would love for you to come live near me, and we could hang out. I don't believe when people say certain things it makes them racist, my husband and I have this discussion a lot.
It's difficult to say ANYTHING sometimes when it is bordering on something that could be considered racist. Like sometimes, when a kid is bad, you want to call them bad, but if they're not white, you aren't sure if you should say anything at all, and then why shouldn't a kid from a minority behave badly if he's pissed off about the way his ancestors have been treated by white people, or unfortunately, the way they are treated even today. What do you do?
Keep teaching your kids that racism is wrong and hope everyone else does the same I guess. Explain that it's cool to look different from other people.
I know I am very unracist, but sometimes I say things I believe to be true, and after I say them, they sound questionably racist even to me. It sucks.
There is so much that has happened in the past which makes it difficult to live the way we want to now. I wish so much that we could just erase things and start anew. Dream world again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back