Sorry Right Wing - This is Reagan's Fault

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
“The ’86 amnesty transformed the political landscape in California, which swung from red to solidly blue on the strength of newly naturalized Hispanic voters and their citizen children. (As of 2009, about 40 percent of amnesty recipients have become citizens.) And in 2012, 70 percent of Hispanic voters – some of whom were naturalized through amnesty, or are related to people who were – voted for Barack Obama over Mitt Romney, painting a worrisome picture for the Republican Party, which has had trouble making inroads with the fast-growing demographic.”
Read more at Amnesty: Turning U.S. into California

Prior to '86 California, the state with the most electoral college votes was a solid red state. Shortly after the boneheaded amnesty legislation that Reagan forced down America's throat turned California solidly blue within a few years. Now the easy California win makes a Democratic President nearly a sure thing!

It also turned states like NV, CO and NM and pushed other states into swing states.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
Regan and Obama, perhaps they were distant relatives? Regan ruined everything, despite all this republican sentimental dreck, his administration ruined the immigration system and unions. "Bring down this wall", Regan said...referring to the Berlin wall. (Then there was Beirut, the marine barracks bombing and the deaths of 240 Americans, Regan RAN AWAY) no fight to the terrorists or the illegal immigrants. I see a theme going on here. History does repeat itself. Now we have to build wall to keep out illegals, and we are still running from the terrorists NOW. The more things change, the more they...you know.

Last edited:
Prior to '86 California, the state with the most electoral college votes was a solid red state. Shortly after the boneheaded amnesty legislation that Reagan forced down America's throat turned California solidly blue within a few years. Now the easy California win makes a Democratic President nearly a sure thing!

It also turned states like NV, CO and NM and pushed other states into swing states.

Reagan is my favorite President of all time. That being said, there is no doubt that things he decided to do changed America forever, like the amnestly legislation. Also, EMTALA.

Reagan is my favorite President of all time. That being said, there is no doubt that things he decided to do changed America forever, like the amnestly legislation. Also, EMTALA.

I have mixed feelings on Reagan. On one hand I like his tax plans and ideology, but on the other hand his amnesty bill turned California from red to blue! I like that he took on the Soviets and won the cold war, but the Iran/Contra Affair and Funding the infancy of what would become Al Qaeda is a lot to stomach. The he pushed the war on drugs, which has been nothing less than a disaster.

He track record results were less than stellar: (1) High Unemployment, (2) Saving and Loans Bubble Burst (This was the preview of the mortgage meltdown), (3) Hugh Deficient, and (4) No balanced budget.

I think he was definitely over-rated.

Forum List

Back