Soon Those Who Believe Will Become A Laughing Stock:

Survey: One in five Americans has no religion

By Dan Merica

Washington – The fastest growing "religious" group in America is made up of people with no religion at all, according to a Pew survey showing that one in five Americans is not affiliated with any religion.

The number of these Americans has grown by 25% just in the past five years, according to a survey released Tuesday by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life.

The survey found that the ranks of the unaffiliated are growing even faster among younger Americans.

Thirty-three million Americans now have no religious affiliation, with 13 million in that group identifying as either atheist or agnostic, according to the new survey.

Pew found that those who are religiously unaffiliated are strikingly less religious than the public at large. They attend church infrequently, if at all, are largely not seeking out religion and say that the lack of it in their lives is of little importance.

This is somehow supposed to be "news"? Christians have known this for over 2,000 years. It's right there in the Bible for anyone to read. LOL!! You are only now becoming aware of something that has been known and discussed for this long a time? Amazing.

Always assuming that history progresses linearly, and not cyclically is foolish. There have been periods of religious torpor and fervor that alternate for centuries now.

LOL...like the Crusades, the Inquisitions, Witch hunts, beheadings, wars etc. The Church is/was a man made thing to benefit the few and screw the masses....end of story!

The arrogant confidence of the asshole atheist.

Yep....we kinda stick together:

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own--a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human fraility. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive, and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in nature."
(excerpt from the obituary of Dr. Albert Einstein)

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. But we may hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with all this artificial scaffolding"
~Thomas Jefferson~
(excerpt from a letter written to John Adams, April 1823)

Nothing like letting others do your thinking for you.

My thinking and reading led me to agree with their ideas but you wouldn't understand that.

I understand it perfectly.

I also understand you are an asshat.

Believers are already mocked and ridiculed, but the Left only applies this heinous effort to Christians and Jews.

The weak minded are afraid of ridicule, so this is a natural progression.

Who are you talking about?

Both sides receive ridicule. It is not like one side is innocent in their condemnations.

Come to think about it, you just ridiculed a group for your assertion that they are weak minded! That kind of undercut your argument.

Those who believe have ALWAYS been laughing stock to those who do not.

And it has always mattered little what belief or beliefs are the subject of discussion.

Those who don't believe have ALWAYS been laughing stock to those who do.

And it has always mattered little what belief or beliefs are the subject of discussion.

Always assuming that history progresses linearly, and not cyclically is foolish. There have been periods of religious torpor and fervor that alternate for centuries now.

LOL...like the Crusades, the Inquisitions, Witch hunts, beheadings, wars etc. The Church is/was a man made thing to benefit the few and screw the masses....end of story!

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own--a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human fraility. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive, and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in nature."

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. But we may hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with all this artificial scaffolding"
~Thomas Jefferson~

My thinking and reading led me to agree with their ideas but you wouldn't understand that.

wonderful, now why are WE suppose to give a shit. what an ugly troll. you and shallow, two peas in an ugly pod

~Thomas Jefferson~

wonderful, now why are WE suppose to give a shit. what an ugly troll. you and shallow, two peas in an ugly pod

Edit

Last edited by a moderator:
Any ways

I may a see a rise in the number of non-religious people, but I don't the signs of any approaching Utopia, as prophesized by the atheist "super intellectual".

What a joke! In their rush to kill off the mystic moralist, these new saviors fail to understand the true. Ignorance is death. Incorrect Idealist are just strangers dancing in a tomb.

Believers are already mocked and ridiculed, but the Left only applies this heinous effort to Christians and Jews.

The weak minded are afraid of ridicule, so this is a natural progression.

Who are you talking about?

Both sides receive ridicule. It is not like one side is innocent in their condemnations.

Come to think about it, you just ridiculed a group for your assertion that they are weak minded! That kind of undercut your argument.
I have given you proof of the Left's weak mindedness.

When facts are not accepted, stupidity often is.

so...

20% have no religion and you are proclaiming that the other 80% will be the laughing stock? It is really pathetic that you have to justify yourself through ridicule of other beliefs.

You're right that when addressing the issue of belief that using such a tone seems to hint at a deeper issue that the OP may have with belief or believers.

However, at the same time, belief in the ridiculous deserves ridicule.
Religious belief is not ridiculous no matter how much you may think it is nonsensical. It is rather natural for man to look for something grater then themselves and religion has a community that goes with it.

What is ridiculous is to ridicule the VAST majority of the planet because you think they are being 'ridiculous' in personal beliefs.
Yeah that's why when in the middle east a woman is lashed for being a rape victim we should just respect their beliefs and move on. Hell we should applaud them for it.
And you can point out where I made such an asinine claim.

If you have a point make it because arguing with something I never stated is not going to be fruitful in any manner of speaking.

By Dan Merica

Washington – The fastest growing "religious" group in America is made up of people with no religion at all, according to a Pew survey showing that one in five Americans is not affiliated with any religion.

The number of these Americans has grown by 25% just in the past five years, according to a survey released Tuesday by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life.

The survey found that the ranks of the unaffiliated are growing even faster among younger Americans.

Thirty-three million Americans now have no religious affiliation, with 13 million in that group identifying as either atheist or agnostic, according to the new survey.

Pew found that those who are religiously unaffiliated are strikingly less religious than the public at large. They attend church infrequently, if at all, are largely not seeking out religion and say that the lack of it in their lives is of little importance.

Sounds like a fulfillment of the parable of the wheat and the tares.

By Dan Merica

Well you are already a laughing stock so I guess according to you we are progressing toward the lowest common denominator. Praise atheism. (rolling eyes)

By Dan Merica

Might want to compare that death count to Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao Zedong, etc.

By Dan Merica

The crusades were a response to Islamic aggression in Europe. Had they not occured the whole world would probably be muslim by force. What exactly was bad about stopping that?

Well let's be honest. You know me and you know I try to be be fair. No one really knows who started it. It could have been the Christians, it could have been the Muslims. What we do know is that there had been aggression and atrocities on both sides centuries before the Crusades began. The Muslims pressed deep into modern day Spain and slaughtered anyone who did not convert, the Byzantines were just as ruthless.

We don't know who cast the first stone, but what we do know is that this narrative about these evil bloodthirsty Christians attacking these peaceful, live-and-let-live Muslims is total bullshit. They were just as bad and just as bloodthirsty. No one knows who started it, but once it got started both side shared equal blame for the atrocities that were committed.

~Dr. Albert Einstein~
(excerpt from his obituary)

"In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views." (Clark, Ronald W. (1971). Einstein: The Life and Times. New York: World Publishing Company, p. 425.)

Einstein just told you to shut the fuck up and quit using him as your source to support your atheism. You should listen to him.

Campbell, I really doubt you do much thinking beyond "should I have Cheerios or Wheaties for breakfast this morning?" and all you read is the nutrition facts on the side of the box while you munch away. You started a whole thread about Mark 16:9-20 and didn't even have the slightest clue about the history of those verses. You talk a lot but you are totally uneducated about the subjects upon which you opine.

Those who believe have ALWAYS been laughing stock to those who do not.

Those who don't believe have ALWAYS been laughing stock to those who do.

Well there is a lot of history we have to explore there regarding your statement. Non-believers haven't been laughing stocks historically. They have been dead. LOL. They were burnt at the stake. Atheism in antiquity was virtually non-existent and I am not talking about Christianity...I am talking about pagan Romans and other cultures as well. Atheism is actually a relatively modern concept.

Saw the title of the thread today. The thought that immediately came to mind was how shallow and sad it is that there are any people who take joy over others someday being a laughing stock.

Most people who believe already are a laughing stock, what with all the kooky religions and the Kim Davis'...

By Dan Merica

The crusades were a response to Islamic aggression in Europe. Had they not occured the whole world would probably be muslim by force. What exactly was bad about stopping that?
Interesting, I see arguments like this all the time, but if Muslims had taken over, and you were Muslim because of that, you would be happy, you would believe as they do, you would think christianity to be a perversion of your laws.

It's all context, and while you may believe in free will, how is a person choosing if he is born Muslim, or Christian? It is a no win dilemma that the religious ignore, and why the biblical accounts killed people of other religions. People do not like change, and if they were fed it from youth, only in rare circumstances do they ever convert to another religion, they will maintain their root views until they die.

So you view Muslims wrong and think you hold the higher ground because you "know" you are "right".

They look at you with the same context.

I contend that both your views are wrong, because it relies on ignorance and acceptance, without thought or understanding, you both agree, to fit in and find views that only agree with the premise of which you were led to believe. You do not really know why you believe the way you both do, but you both know it has to be right because that is all you ever knew.

And yes I know that the lds wait until a "child" is of age to accept the gospel. But that is a form of bullying. You have a child, 8 years old I believe, and they have to go in front of their peers and community leaders and say that they believe and get baptized, I admit it sounds good wait until they can "decide". But what that is doing is making it a significant and powerful experience for the child when he accepts. As if he or she would decline in front of their parents and peers. And it leads them to believe they are actually deciding, when it is the power of pressure that they feel the power of an audience that they look up to. It is wrong but it stays with the child and is a huge impact in his or her life. Because of the forced acceptance that is relayed as their agreement. It is bullying plain and simple. To fit in.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back