something seriously wrong with this.

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
the sad truth

Chevy still builds and sells V8-powered rear-wheel-drive sedans. Just not in the United States.

What you're about to read will not make you happy. In fact, it may make you sick. Don't say we didn't warn you.

Okay, here it is. Chevrolet builds and sells V8-powered, 300-plus-horsepower, rear-wheel-drive sedans in the Middle East. It also sells what is essentially a V8-powered, rear-wheel-drive El Camino in Australia. That's right, Saudi Arabians and Australians are able to enjoy such machinery, while Americans are stuck driving V6-powered, front-wheel-drive pedestrian sedans.

What gives? Your guess is as good as ours.

At a recent GM Powertrain event at Irwindale Speedway in Irwindale, Calif., we were able to drive two of these overseas-marketed vehicles, the Middle East market Chevrolet Caprice LTZ sold in the Middle East, and the Holden Ute marketed in Australia. (The Chevrolet Lumina, which is also sold in the Middle East, was not sampled.) Both vehicles managed big smoky burnouts and quarter-mile runs of little more than 15 seconds.

We were so impressed we asked GM's public relations staff for information about these cars, but they didn't have much to offer. The best they could do was give us a GM Middle East Web site address, www.gmme.com. There we learned more, but not as much as we would have liked. And when it came to the Ute, GM Communications offered up nothing. But here's what we know.

For those who don't know....(at least in California)...You can by a vehicle 30 years old and as long as you have the original FRAME, you can replace the engine with anything you want.

There is a 30 year limit on the whole smog requirement thing here. I have a 71 chevy K5 blazer that had a 210 hp 350. Those are the big steel ones. After rebuilding it and taking all smog out, adding headers, MSD IGN, etc. I have a 365+ HP Blazer that spins the tires in the least bit of moisture. I only have an 11 to 1 compression ratio. With the cam we had put in at the same time, I race new camero z28s and never lose.

There are advantages in cost for buying old and restoring like this as well.
:D

Edited to add: When you buy used, ALL OF THE $$$$ STAYS IN AMERICA.

I'm not trying to be dismissive, but what's the point of the article? Is there some reason other than supply/demand that Chevy doesn't sell these vehicles in the us? Are they illegal?

Originally posted by Moi
I'm not trying to be dismissive, but what's the point of the article? Is there some reason other than supply/demand that Chevy doesn't sell these vehicles in the us? Are they illegal?

I know government restrictions are in place that do not allow certain smog levels in the output and there are other restrictions against power levels in types of cars, but these all seem reasonable.

Unless there is a safety issue, maybe it IS supply and demand.

This is just what some liberal want, for the rest of the world to have what we once held near and dear to our hearts. THE V-8 Engine!!!! They must not be able to get these things into this country what with the CAFE regs and such. My burning question is why did the ever stop making them here in the first place. Ever tried to pick up a used El-Camino? Ford Ranchero?The Chevy Impala boat is a BIG favorite of mine too. used parts everywhere, bolt on HP. Damn tanks on the road and I have always been able to get good fuel economy from my big cars! basic maintence and Knowledge of carbs ect and you get the picture. those of us that remember real power should not have to just dream of the good old days. And I have to admit that I thought I WOULD NEVER SAY THOSE WORDS!!!! My God, I've turned into my parents!!!

Originally posted by jon_forward
This is just what some liberal want, for the rest of the world to have what we once held near and dear to our hearts. THE V-8 Engine!!!!

Say what? <checking my title, make sure nobody changed it while I wasn't looking>

some not all. High proformance American style is dead and has been for years. Our hands are tyed by Bureucratic bullshit and the EPA. cant dothis because it emits too much this or to much that while one factory in a third world emits more in one day then hundreds of thousands of proformance cars could in a year. I used to make custom exhaust systems for the proformance crowd. the EPA effectively killed that part of business. the only high profrmance on the road now a days is japanese brands. Not knocking them but it sure would be nice to have some real power without having to 2nd morgage the house.

Forum List

Back