Poll: Most Americans Oppose Gay Marriage

What should be America's gay marraige policy?

• Constitutional Amendment banning gay marriage/civil unions

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Constitutional amanedment on gay marriage, but civil unions OK

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • States decide their own gay marriage/civil unions laws

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Federal protection for civil unions, but not gay marriage

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Federal protection for gay marriages

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
So what's your opinion?

--------------------
Poll: Most Americans Oppose Gay Marriage

LOS ANGELES - Most Americans oppose gay marriage and many believe homosexuality is "against God's will," but otherwise consider themselves tolerant of gays, according to a Los Angeles Times poll.

By a margin of 55 to 41 percent, those polled agreed with the statement that "if gays are allowed to marry, the institution of marriage will be degraded."

About half favored a U.S. constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union between a man and a woman, while 42 percent opposed it, according to the poll published Saturday on the newspaper's Web site.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=533&e=4&u=/ap/20040410/ap_on_re_us/gay_marriage_poll

The Constitution is no place for this. It is supposed to grant citizens their basic freedoms and balance governmentpower.

You put this in there, and you justify an ammendment for anything else. It will set a precedent for a Constitutional dictatorship faster than you can imagine.

There is a Constitutional Ammendment banning slavery, which took away the rights of slave holders (granted, it gave rights to the slaves). There was also an ammendment that banned alchohol, which was later repealed. I say that as long as the people have the power to change the Constitution, let them changed it. A stagnant government leads to its downfall. Besides, unless we make it so that the Constitution directly opposed gay marriage, liberal, activist judges will continue to say that the Constitution protects gay marriage.

I'm amazed by all the people in churches that love using 'god's will is known only to him' or some such nonsense, but then they know without a doubt that homosexuality is against god's will.

Didn't they just get done saying that they truly don't know? :rolleyes:

Well, the little bit of God's will that is known comes from the Bible, which is clearly against homosexuality. Sodom and Gommorah come to mind, as well as such verses as, "...but the liars, idolaters, homosexuals, (long list of sinful people) all have their place in the lake of fire."

Originally posted by Hobbit
There is a Constitutional Ammendment banning slavery, which took away the rights of slave holders (granted, it gave rights to the slaves).

Which was stupid in the first place since "all men are created equal".

There was also an ammendment that banned alchohol, which was later repealed.

This doesn't belong in the Constitution for the same reason the marriage ban doesn't. In addition, that was for tax reasons which is a whole other kettle of fish.

I say that as long as the people have the power to change the Constitution, let them changed it.

They DON'T. They have the power of ADDING AMMENDMENTS which CLARIFY the Constitution. Have you read it? With all the people that keep making this statement, I am going to have to paste the whole dang thing in a thread so nobody can use the ignorance excuse.

A stagnant government leads to its downfall.

What the heck are you talking about? A government in the power of the PEOPLE has no downfall.

Besides, unless we make it so that the Constitution directly opposed gay marriage, liberal, activist judges will continue to say that the Constitution protects gay marriage.

Again. READ IT. These judges, according to the Constitution MUST BE IMPEACHED. -Not only that but they DO NOT WRITE CONSTITUTIONAL LAW nor do they INTERPRET IT.

Did you not read the entire proof you demanded from me in another thread? Do I need to repost it?

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
I'm amazed by all the people in churches that love using 'god's will is known only to him' or some such nonsense, but then they know without a doubt that homosexuality is against god's will.

Didn't they just get done saying that they truly don't know? :rolleyes:

The Bible is a documentation of God's will in relation to man as it is relevant in regard to his salvation.

The Bible is not and doesn't claim to be the end-all be-all of God's will. It claims in no uncertain terms what right and wrong are and how to behave accordingly. Most people including Christians have not sat down to read the whole thing and take it in context. The few who do tend to do large complicated studies and step over the ideas to pick at a detail. I would reccommend if there are questions or references to be pointed out, that one reads the entire PAGE of text to understand the frame of reference at the very least.

Here's what i feel. Gay and lesbians should be allowed to have marriages. But in order to do so they need to change the law first. They cant have some leftist judge create law from the bench. There is a reason we have 3 branches of government. It is to prevent any one branch from obtaining too much power.

The judicial branch is not the legislative branch. It is meant to judge and enforce the laws. They are not to Create new ones by interpretting current laws into their visions of what it should mean.

That is my whole issue with this gay marriage fiasco. Law is law. If you want to change law, you goto your senator or rep and appeal them to make a new law for gay marriage. You dont encourage some left wing judge or mayor to hand out pieces of paper that basically flaunt the existing law.

When blacks and women wanted their rights, they appealed to the legislators in order to make the law change. They didnt just go and make new laws out of the blue. It took years but they fought hard for their rights and won. They got the law to change. Thats the way it needs to be done.

Evryone wants instant gratification nowadays. It doesnt work that way. You have to work for what you want. If its just handed to you, you'll take it for granted.

I do not see believing that gay marriage can be prohibited as the same as being homophobic or hating gays. I am as tolerant of gays as I am with anyone else who performs actions I believe are detrimental to society. I neither hate them nor fear them. BUT that doesn't mean I have to stand by and condone their actions while they continue to degrade society.

Unfortunately, there is no power in the land as the Supreme Court. Judges, state law makers and those charged with upholding the law are clearly not doing the job they are assigned because they believe anti gay marriage laws are unconstitutional. Until the SC rules that these laws are not voided by the constitution, this will continue. They must either do so immediately or we must provide the constitutional working they seek.

Originally posted by NewGuy
These judges, according to the Constitution MUST BE IMPEACHED. -Not only that but they DO NOT WRITE CONSTITUTIONAL LAW nor do they INTERPRET IT.

I had this same argument last month with a now banned member. She claimed that it was the job of these judges to interpret the constitution. I tried explaining that it was their job to uphold the laws of the land until such time that there was a change by legislators. The constitution would be basically useless if we allow activist judges to make interpretations.

Originally posted by jimnyc
I had this same argument last month with a now banned member. She claimed that it was the job of these judges to interpret the constitution. I tried explaining that it was their job to uphold the laws of the land until such time that there was a change by legislators. The constitution would be basically useless if we allow activist judges to make interpretations.

Would it be worthwhile to have a locked thread pinned with either the Constitution or an analysis of this exact point?

I don't know if you even consider it important, but it WOULD be a better way to make a point than spending hours of wasted keystrokes each time.

Would it be worthwhile to have a locked thread pinned with either the Constitution or an analysis of this exact point?

I don't know if you even consider it important, but it WOULD be a better way to make a point than spending hours of wasted keystrokes each time.

I think that is a good idea. People should know what the constitution says before they go claiming its being violated.

Originally posted by insein
I think that is a good idea. People should know what the constitution says before they go claiming its being violated.
:p:

That sounded like it was aimed at ME.

:D

I think it would be worthwhile, but probably too large for the board. If you can find a reputable link on a reliable server - we can make a thread with a link and stick that to the top of this section.

PM me if you find anything you think would be appropriate.

Jimmy, let me correct you. IT IS the job of judges to interpret the Constitution. That's the entire function of the Supreme Court. The federal court system (districts, appeals, etc.) was created by Congress which was given the power to do so in the Constitution. Federal District court judges are charged with interpreting federal laws and the Constitution. The Supreme Court is the ultimate place where it is decided whether or not a law is Constitution. In order to determine whether a law is Constitutional the Supreme Court has to intepret the Constitution.

As for this poll, who cares? If the majority of the country favored jumping off a bridge should we all do that? If I write the questions a little differently, I can produce a poll that shows the majority of the American people in fact support gay marriage.

acludem

Originally posted by acludem
If I write the questions a little differently, I can produce a poll that shows the majority of the American people in fact support gay marriage.

acludem

You're wrong about the judges - again, but I'm not going to debate you on that.

I'm calling you out on what I quoted above. You're just being ridiculous as usual. Make a poll right here on this board. Not only can't you word it to get the American people to support gay marriage - you can't get the majority on this board! So go ahead with your wording, I'll be waiting for the laughter.

Face it, it's not the wording, the majority of Americans just don't want gay marriages. Why can't you get something that's so simple?

ACLUDEM, I also have to tell you that you're wrong in the respect that, say, 85 or 90% of the population supports making an amendment, how is the court going to say its unconstitutional if americans are what make the constitution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back