Some fixes that might help to control medical costs

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Old Texas Reb, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,208
    Whether or not a good idea needs to be enforced by law depends entirely on the idea and the subject it addresses. I don't actually have a problem with restricting access to certain dangerous items and substances, depending on what they are and the nature of the restriction. And I don't consider it automatically "statism" to believe that governments have legitimate purposes, or that anarchy is not the perfect natural state.

2. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,386
    *sigh* again, (and again, and again), I'm not advocating anarchy. I'm saying that it's unnecessary, and an abuse of government, to force something on other people simply because we think it's a good idea.

3. Cecilie1200

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,208
    I get that you don't think you're advocating anarchy, but you kneejerk to "government = bad" so reliably that it's hard for anyone NOT to think you don't want to have one.

I'm all in favor of being suspicious of government and keeping it on a strong chain, like a junkyard dog, but I am still willing to admit that it has a few useful purposes. And I'm at a loss to figure out what you think a GOOD purpose for the use of government is, under these circumstances.

Let's keep in mind, btw, that I'm NOT justifying ALL uses of governments that people think are good ideas, but that IS the basic reasoning behind pretty much any law.

4. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,386
    Pardon the post splitting, but this is the sort of thing that's always left me feeling that conservatives really don't get libertarians. I don't hate government. There are bad people in government, to be sure, but the institution itself isn't a bad thing. When it's attending to its primary purpose (protecting individual rights) it's a great thing.

Same as in any other circumstances. Protecting individual rights.
    Sadly, the general consensus supports that view of the law. Most people see the government as a general purpose tool to impose order on society.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  5. Markle

Markle Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,671
    You can learn all that in a thirty second commercial? Amusing!

How about the doctor informing you?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Markle

Markle Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,671
    Of course they are. There is no other reason to advertise on TV. They want the customer with, whatever sounds like that drug being advertised, is the answer to their prayers. They NEED to tell their doctor about this because he/she obviously don't know about this miracle drug for their rash.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. JBond

JBond Winning Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,192
    First Amendment issues. Restrictions on advertising is a slippery slope.

8. Cecilie1200

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,208
    All I need to know from a 30-second commercial is "this is a possible treatment for this condition. This is its name. This is where I can go to research it before bringing it up to my doctor." Pretty much the same as I look for from any other commercial for any other product: it exists, go find out more.

Only a damned fool remains ignorant of their health issues and blindly expects the doctor to just handle everything.

9. Desperado

Desperado Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,480
    However they did it with cigarettes which is a product that is legal a requires no prescription to purchase.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Desperado

Desperado Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,480
    Fine, get diagnosed by WEBMD.Com, then find your remedy through TV commercials than find a doctor that will prescribe them for you.
    In fact why do you even need doctors that went to expensive med schools Just order your drugs of choice through on-line pharmacies that do not require a prescriptiom

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2018