Some fixes that might help to control medical costs

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Old Texas Reb, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Desperado

Desperado Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,303
    it is not the actual healthcare consumers who prescribe the drugs, The consumer is not allowed to buy it without a prescription. The drug companies are selling to the doctors not the end user since the end user is not intellegent enough to prescribe thier own drugs

2. dblack

dblack Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,804
    Can I quote you on that? Heh, I guess I just did.

Actually, I appreciate your candor. I don't often hear it put that way, but you're right: this kind of regulation distributes rights based on intelligence, or at least the current government's estimation of such. Interesting.

3. Desperado

Desperado Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,303
    \Actually it seems the drug companies are doing an end around by advertizing to the end user so they demand the doctor prescribe this drug to them. Since the end user never went to med school, they have no idea what they need. In fact some may not even know what exactly they are suffering from

4. dblack

dblack Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,804
    Exactly. People aren't smart enough to take care of themselves. I hear ya.

5. Desperado

Desperado Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,303
  6. dblack

dblack Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,804
  7. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,001
    No, the drug companies are selling to whomever is actually paying the bills, not the doctor. Think of it as though it's any other aspect of life where you have to hire a professional to do something for you that you can't do for yourself. Say, for example, that you have to have a new water heater installed. Guy comes out, looks at your house and your plumbing set-up and how many people you have living with you and whatever other pertinent circumstances there are, and says, "I recommend that you get XYZ. It's a really reliable brand, they have a great warranty, they do [fill in the blank] that will be helpful." He's prescribing the fix for your problem, but YOU are the one making the final decision, aka shelling out the cash for it. And while the water heater manufacturer is certainly making a point of contacting plumbers (or whoever) to convince them to "prescribe" their products, their primary marketing focus is on the people who are gonna cough up the dough.

Likewise, drug companies certainly make the effort to contact doctors and convince them that their meds should be prescribed, BUT their primary focus is on the people who have the ability to say, "Yes, I'll give you the money", or "Nope, not gonna pay for that". And right now, those people are NOT the people who are actually sick.

8. Cecilie1200

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,001
    Nope, very true. I would counter that another target they have is the insurance companies, who are much less likely to decide to restrict access to payment for that medication if lots of people are on it or clamoring for it.

However, it is still an overall good thing for the actual patients, who certainly aren't reading all the latest medical journals and taking meetings with pharmaceutical reps, to get some kind of information to approach their doctor about and discuss, beyond what he gets around to telling them in the five minutes he allots from his day for their appointment.

I think you underestimate how much research many people who suffer chronic illnesses actually do about their conditions.

9. Cecilie1200

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,001
    Well, most people don't have medical degrees, so yeah. Also, it's a very good idea to have an objective third party monitoring your use of a lot of medications.

10. dblack

dblack Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,804
    I'd agree with you that it's a good idea. But I'm not willing force my notion of a 'good' idea on other people with the law. At the end of the day, whether something is a good idea is a subjective decision - the answer will be different for every person. The "we-know-better" mentality of meddling statists is wearing thing.