Solar energy is dead

Discussion in 'Energy' started by mdn2000, Oct 16, 2010.

1. mdn2000

mdn2000 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Thats right, Solar is dead, non sustainable.

Seems someone forgot about the lack of water in the Arizona and California desert

http://ndep.nv.gov/news/temp_news/water093009.pdf

I think that is sufficient to begin. All solar power plants consume water, at the very least each plant must keep the mirrors or collectors clean of dust, there is a lot of dust in the desert. The water required to clean one solar power plant is millions of gallons of water.

Add the drought in California, the over use of the Colorado river, depleting the aquifers, the better use of water in agricultural food production.

Solar energy is dead.

2. edthecynic

edthecynic Censored for Cynicism

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,724
    Not hardly.

All that means is the SRECs will increase in price which will shorten the break even point for home owners who mount solar systems on their roof.

Go solar!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    Industrial scale solar is dead for another 40-75 years. Till the technology is improved to greater efficiency to compete with real power sources like Nuclear, Hydro and Coal.

You will never know for true how good it really is till they lose all subsidies.

BUT...

As a supplemental power supply for residential and light commercial and possibly light industrial (offices with small machinery) it's a great bonus to have. Slap those on the roofs of warehouses office buildings and houses, and it's a nice supplement.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  4. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    The hell you say?!?!?

You meant that them "green technology" thingies, that were supposed to be the panacea for all the world's energy needs, have unforeseen negative externalities?!?!?

Well, I'll be dipped! :lol::lol::lol:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,731
    Solar energy dead? What? The sun is going to quit shining or something?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. mdn2000

mdn2000 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Water kills Solar energy, it will always need water and that water will always be needed elsewhere.

On the top of your house, still need to clean it.

Further the financing is crippling. Pure stupidity to allow a company to put a 30,000$ lien on your house.

No matter where you put a solar panel you still need water to clean it. Last time I checked there is water rationing everywhere in California.

Where you going to get all that extra water? You cannot even water your lawn, you think you can water your roof?

On warehouses, with a crew washing the solar panels, during a drought, in a desert, when that water is needed for food. Too expensive to wash.

What about the environmental impact of using fossil fuels to pump extra water to households to wash solar panels. Even on a house, solar energy cannot exist without fossil energy to pump the water to clean hundreds of millions of solar panels.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  7. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    Ummm... Although I am no fan of green alternatives as they currently sit, I think you're pushing the water angle too hard. Piezoelectric cells require no water. Yes efficiency goes down if they are not kept clean, but... as much as you're saying? I'm finding it hard to believe.

It comes down to efficiency of solar energy extraction. The technology is not there and won't be up to snuff for another 40-75 years. You may make good supplemental energy is all. Nothing to base a power grid on, but can take the edge off your energy costs that will be worth it's while once you get government out of the way and let the free market do it's job on this technology.

8. edthecynic

edthecynic Censored for Cynicism

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,724
    Waterless cleaning brush.
    HowStuffWorks Videos "Living With Ed: Bill's Solar Brush"

Minimal water cleaning system
    Kit Solar Panel Cleaning 7-12ft MrLongar - 1009

9. mdn2000

mdn2000 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Green energy, renewable energy, does not exist, every form uses fossil fuels, large amounts of fossil fuels.

I guess if the technology wont be there for 40-75 years when should I check for your next post.

10. Revere

Revere BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +415
    Green energy is the "flat earth" of our time.

The only way it works is if government imposes shortages by making you too poor to afford more than the limited quantities it is capable of producing.