Social Security: Near-Bankrupt

we still have the SS surplus funds to draw on, so SS is still funding itself.

true there are no more SS surpluses to use on what income taxes should be paying...as bush/clinton/bush/reagan had to use on the budget....

we will draw on the (ss surplus) treasuries for the SS retirements....SS will be fine for a couple of more decades....when the SS treasuries are all cashed out, then SS will STILL NOT BE BANKRUPT, it will pull in enough funds to pay 75% of the bill....

Lemme get this straight, you think there was a "lock box"? :lol:

those SS surplus funds are in us treasuries, this is SS's money...they WILL get this money.

how we will pay for the rest of the budget spending, with having to pay our debts, will be a problem, but SS has it's money....as good as a lock box, with the treasuries.

A simple solution is to remove the income cap so that everyone pays into the system.

My question for you is what percentage of your income can I take before you decide it's not worthwhile to work anymore?

If I take 80% of your money, will you still go to work so you can keep paying me and hope you don't starve on the remainder?

Right now, (or at the end of they year) the top earners will pay 60% of their income in to federal, state, local and payroll taxes (assuming they are not also self-employed. If they are it would be more like 67%).

How much more do you want to take from them? And how do you propose to keep them in the game?

got a link to those figures?

what does the average middle class income earner get taxed overall compared to the wealthy, is one thing i was wondering...?

we still have the SS surplus funds to draw on, so SS is still funding itself.

true there are no more SS surpluses to use on what income taxes should be paying...as bush/clinton/bush/reagan had to use on the budget....

we will draw on the (ss surplus) treasuries for the SS retirements....SS will be fine for a couple of more decades....when the SS treasuries are all cashed out, then SS will STILL NOT BE BANKRUPT, it will pull in enough funds to pay 75% of the bill....

those SS surplus funds are in us treasuries, this is SS's money...they WILL get this money.

how we will pay for the rest of the budget spending, with having to pay our debts, will be a problem, but SS has it's money....as good as a lock box, with the treasuries.

...as bad as one executive order.

A simple solution is to remove the income cap so that everyone pays into the system.

My question for you is what percentage of your income can I take before you decide it's not worthwhile to work anymore?

If I take 80% of your money, will you still go to work so you can keep paying me and hope you don't starve on the remainder?

Right now, (or at the end of they year) the top earners will pay 60% of their income in to federal, state, local and payroll taxes (assuming they are not also self-employed. If they are it would be more like 67%).

How much more do you want to take from them? And how do you propose to keep them in the game?

Still hanging onto that trickle-down, supply-side, Reaganonmics bullshit that's been with us for the last 30 years and got us into this current mess, ay?

??? i don't understand?

no executive order can take SS surplus money, US Treasuries away??

Allowing the illegals that want to become tax paying citizens to do just that would easily fix this problem.

That would have undesirable side effects.

The simple thing to do would be to raise the cap on the amount of income you have to pay into SS on.

??? i don't understand?

You sure about that? The Treasury Secretary is under direct control of the executive branch.

But what about the TRUST FUND?!?!?!?!?!

??? i don't understand?

You sure about that? The Treasury Secretary is under direct control of the executive branch.

POSITIVE! It can NOT be done and would never be done....defaulting on the us treasuries would destabilize the entire world.

Who said anything about defaulting? I'm just saying Obama can redirect proceeds to the general fund and not the SS Fund.

what does the average middle class income earner get taxed overall compared to the wealthy, is one thing i was wondering...?

Nothing too wacked out. Common knowledge and a little math.

Top federal tax bracket after the "Bush tax cuts" expire this year: 39.4% (Let's call it 40% for ease of use.

State income taxes. Most states have them, a few don't. They vary from roughly 5% to 13% for places like DC. But let's stipulate that most are 5%-10%. Take a nice average like 8% for our purposes. Now were' at 48% or there abouts.

Next is payroll taxes. You'll pay 7.5% of your income to Social Security for the first $100+k (this year). Then you'll pay an additional 5 percent for Medicare without a cap. That would be about 60%. Although I will give you that if you earn a lot more than $100 in salary, then the net percentage of SS would be less than 7.5%.

Add to the mix that if you are self-employed, you have to pay the employers and employee's portion of social security which is another 7.5% up to the top taxable amount.

That's where the numbers come from:

______
59.9%

And, that doesn't count your property taxes and the poor saps that have local income taxes!!!

Your math is fucked. Firstly, no one pays 39.4% ... it's a progressive system. Secondly, you can deduct your state tax from your federal tax.

Someone that knows math please tell us the truth.

:lol:

Top federal tax bracket after the "Bush tax cuts" expire this year: 39.4% (Let's call it 40% for ease of use.

State income taxes. Most states have them, a few don't. They vary from roughly 5% to 13% for places like DC. But let's stipulate that most are 5%-10%. Take a nice average like 8% for our purposes. Now were' at 48% or there abouts.

Next is payroll taxes. You'll pay 7.5% of your income to Social Security for the first $100+k (this year). Then you'll pay an additional 5 percent for Medicare without a cap. That would be about 60%. Although I will give you that if you earn a lot more than $100 in salary, then the net percentage of SS would be less than 7.5%.

Add to the mix that if you are self-employed, you have to pay the employers and employee's portion of social security which is another 7.5% up to the top taxable amount.

______
59.9%

And, that doesn't count your property taxes and the poor saps that have local income taxes!!!

So the poor guy who makes $1,000,000 a year has to fork over $600,000 leaving him and his family with a lousy $400,000.

How will they ever get by on that?

Your math is fucked. Firstly, no one pays 39.4% ... it's a progressive system. Secondly, you can deduct your state tax from your federal tax.

Obama says that's what's fair.

The Top rate will be 39.4 in January. Do you dispute that?

This is the soak the rich and make them pay their fair share that you were screaming about 2 years ago! This is what the rich paid under Clinton. Remember?

This is the soak the rich and make them pay their fair share that you were screaming about 2 years ago! This is what the rich paid under Clinton. Remember?

With the exception of the '50s (and it's astronomical tax rates), the 90's were this countrys' most propserous.

No one pays 39.4%. You are being disingenuous.

If you are upset about the sunset clause you can address it with the man that put it in the tax code.

______
59.9%

So the poor guy who makes $1,000,000 a year has to fork over $600,000 leaving him and his family with a lousy $400,000.

As if this only impact people that make a million dollars a year.

The "rich" start at $250,000. There are a lot more families living between $250,000 and $500,000 that will get hit with this than $1,000,000 so talk about the real impact not the, who-cares oddball impact.

You're going to expect families to live on less than $100,000 after having made over $250,000. Why should they bust their ass to do it? Risk having nothing, just to give it all over to the government? A question more and more people will be asking next year.

______
59.9%

As if this only impact people that make a million dollars a year.

The "rich" start at $250,000. There are a lot more families living between $250,000 and $500,000 that will get hit with this than $1,000,000 so talk about the real impact not the, who-cares oddball impact.

You're going to expect families to live on less than $100,000 after having made over $250,000. Why should they bust their ass to do it? Risk having nothing, just to give it all over to the government? A question more and more people will be asking next year.

Please, you're breaking my heart. How will they ever they ever squeak by on that? The poor unfortunates.

No one pays 39.4%. You are being disingenuous.

If you are upset about the sunset clause you can address it with the man that put it in the tax code.

So, you are going on record right now to say that you don't have to obey the tax law? That if you you do your taxes and it comes up to pay the top rate, you should just cheat because that's what everyone does? Really?

Forum List

Back