So my 24 yr old son tried to sign up for Obamacare and they told him

But it is a little more complicated with Lovebears and her 24 year old son....because I believe her son still lives at home, (is taking college courses) and she and her husband are supporting him, so this means that when he applied for insurance on the exchange, and they asked for the "Tax Household" information, it would include both parent's income and what little he makes in the total tax household.... and since he is being supported by his parents and used as a dependent of his parents, on their taxes and they have health care coverage that he could be put on, that he would not be eligible to get a subsidy.

This all comes about because her 24 yr old son IS A DEPENDENT of hers and her husbands.

Just like me, who is not working and does not have an employer sponsored health care plan, can NOT go on the exchange and GET a subsidy to help, BECAUSE my husband's employer offers my husband the option to cover his wife and kids etc.... I would NOT be able to go to the exchange and get subsidized help because I can be put on my working husband's plan.

What's different about Lovebears though is that she and her family is covered by TRICARE which is healthcare coverage for the Military and 20 years of service, retired Veterans.... Tricare covers the military and their kids with no additional fee up through the age of 23 if the children are dependents and are in college.

But at 24 yrs old the Military benefits will not cover children over the age of 23 for free, they require a $208 fee for the 24 yr old to be covered on the parent's Military coverage....(which btw is excellent coverage, pays 80% or better, you can go to any doctor or hospital, no $5000 deductibles or anything like that)

The Military will not allow a 24 yr old child to go on their parent's TRICARE,

UNLESS the 24yr is being supported by their parents and is in college....

If her son was not being supported by his parents, and was not a dependent of his parents, then her son would NOT BE ELIGIBLE to go on the Military Tricare system,

then he could go to the exchange and get subsidized, depending on how much he makes.

You seem to have a very good understanding of all this insurance crap. You must have been an insurance agent in another life. :D
I was a volunteer with the local church to help poor people sign up for O-care, so I delved myself in to learning all about insurance....

Plus my Father and Mother have TRICARE, he is a Military man with well over 20 years in the U.S. Air Force before he retired, and they have had Tricare ever since, so I am very familiar with Tricare.

Oh and Thanks for the welcome! :eusa_angel:
Now, Care4all is for real
:thup:
& :welcome:

What does that even mean? Does someone think she's fake or something? Lol.
Green eyes knew.
Parents are not required to insure their adult children under 26. They can if they wish to do so.

Right, if they are okay with their child having to pay a penalty in their taxes. Is that right?
Yes, or their child could purchase his or her own insurance. Or find a job that provides insurance.
What puzzles me is why y'all are fine with the government laying out these kind of convoluted requirements

So that other people don't have to pick up the tab for those who don't have insurance and have a car accident or an illness that can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars maybe? What do you think happens in such a situation? the hospitals and doctors pass on the costs to the rest of us.
Other people?
Like who?

um.....Taxpayers?

No, anyone who tries to see a doctor. Taking care of it through insurance makes sure that people are paying their bills! Why do you think it costs $10 for an aspirin and $50 for a bag of IV saline? Because the hospital has to pass the costs on to the rest of us to make up for those who do not pay their hospital bills!!!

Now, Care4all is for real
:thup:
& :welcome:

Green eyes knew.
Right, if they are okay with their child having to pay a penalty in their taxes. Is that right?
Yes, or their child could purchase his or her own insurance. Or find a job that provides insurance.
What puzzles me is why y'all are fine with the government laying out these kind of convoluted requirements

So that other people don't have to pick up the tab for those who don't have insurance and have a car accident or an illness that can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars maybe? What do you think happens in such a situation? the hospitals and doctors pass on the costs to the rest of us.
Other people?
Like who?

um.....Taxpayers?

No, anyone who tries to see a doctor. Taking care of it through insurance makes sure that people are paying their bills! Why do you think it costs $10 for an aspirin and $50 for a bag of IV saline? Because the hospital has to pass the costs on to the rest of us to make up for those who do not pay their hospital bills!!!
Just like subsidies are paid for by taxpayers to cover those that can't afford insurance.
So, now, instead of the medical and/or insurance industry (iow, private enterprise) being able to cover expenses it all has to be funneled through and controlled by the government.

Cool

Green eyes knew.

Other people?
Like who?

um.....Taxpayers?

Just like subsidies are paid for by taxpayers to cover those that can't afford insurance.
So, now, instead of the medical and/or insurance industry (iow, private enterprise) being able to cover expenses it all has to be funneled through and controlled by the government.

Cool

Yes, because it is a HELL of a lot cheaper for everyone. You can't see that? Hello?

Forum List

Back