So...just how do you accidently ship live anthrax to nine states?

I doubt it was an accident.

One thing this does highlight is that while I am a big fan of the military and law enforcement and the like; they are woefully ill prepared to deal with what they are charged with undertaking.

Let me explain.

If you went to College, chances are you had some brush with the law enforcement on campus. What I (and probably you) did/do not understand is that there is a professional law enforcement officer heading that unit of the campus. Most refineries and large business parks hire professional security to staff their security posts. Would you feel safer if the head of drama or athletics was in charge of security on campus or the instrument technician doubled as a security guard? I wouldn't. However, in the military and in law enforcement, we have career colonels, up and coming captains and lieutenants and well-trained deputies running data processing operations.

Some roles call for a soldier, some roles call for a lab tech. Training soldiers to become lab techs is fine I guess but (and I"m not saying this is the case) you need to have some legitimate competence when handling Anthrax...someone who dabbles in the enterprise is more likely to make mistakes.

I doubt this was a mistake though.There are too many things that had to go wrong. If history is an indicator...we'll never find out who screwed up and they will either have nothing done to them or they will retire quietly.

Forum List

Back