So I Went to the Market This Morning

Apr 4, 2006
The Other Side of Paradise
and couldn't use my debit card. the woman at the store thought i locked myself out of the system by mis-inputting my pin.

but i didn't think so....

so when i got into the car and headed for work, i called my bank.... after being repeatedly told my debit car number would not let me into the system, and about 10 minutes of waiting for a customer service rep, it turned out that someone had used my debit card number to buy thousands of dollars worth of furniture.

but i didn't buy any furniture and if i had, it would have been purchased with my credit card so it had the extra coverage.

heck of a way to start the day. :woohoo:

If your debit card number gets jacked, are you responsible for the charges? I know you are not with credit cards..

and couldn't use my debit card. the woman at the store thought i locked myself out of the system by mis-inputting my pin.

so when i got into the car and headed for work, i called my bank.... after being repeatedly told my debit car number would not let me into the system, and about 10 minutes of waiting for a customer service rep, it turned out that someone had used my debit card number to buy thousands of dollars worth of furniture.

but i didn't buy any furniture and if i had, it would have been purchased with my credit card so it had the extra coverage.

Ouch, that bites! Had you ever used your debit card on-line...?

Good luck... I had someone use my identity to open Verizon & ATT U-verse accounts. It wasn't a lot of money, but they apparently tried to get loans, etc. It is major headache.

1. File a police report.. you'll need it.
2. Write the 3 major credit agencies and send them copies of police reports.
3. File fraud affidavits with your bank.
4. GET LIFE-LOCK!!! You'll thanks yourself.

Best wishes.

That's terrible. It happened to me before, the bank took care of it but how embarrassing and inconvenient.

Ouch, that bites! Had you ever used your debit card on-line...?

i use my credit card when i buy stuff online.... or paypal.

i never use my debit card for online transactions. someone in a place i went to must have copied the card.

they said it was used in the bronx. and i can't even remember the last time i was in the bronx. it has to be years ago.... when we went to the bronx zoo.

Good luck... I had someone use my identity to open Verizon & ATT U-verse accounts. It wasn't a lot of money, but they apparently tried to get loans, etc. It is major headache.

Best wishes.

i do have lifelock on my accounts. i finally listened to my dad and signed up a few months ago. my bank told me to notify them. i figure they'll do any notifications that i need. but that's a great idea about notifying the credit agencies. so might be a go. although filing police reports is such a pain.

That's terrible. It happened to me before, the bank took care of it but how embarrassing and inconvenient.

well, that's the thing. it really was embarrassing. they look at you like you're a deadbeat whose card is no good. :evil:

although she tried to be polite about about it.

Best wishes.

i do have lifelock on my accounts. i finally listened to my dad and signed up a few months ago. my bank told me to notify them. i figure they'll do any notifications that i need. but that's a great idea about notifying the credit agencies. so might be a go. although filing police reports is such a pain.

Trust me.. my local police acted like I was bothering them... but you have to be on record that you did not do this. It's the only way. Yep, it sucks. Plus they will probably charge you for copies of the reports... JPSO sure did.. $25/each copy of each report.

Durn lady, I am sorry that happened to you. I wish you the best of luck enduring the time it takes to straighten it out.

thanks much!

they said it would be five to seven days til i would have my new debit card. but i can get a termporary card. the problem is you can't use it for anything except to get cash.

so i might just call them and ask if they can overnight me the new card.

cheers.

Best wishes.

Trust me.. my local police acted like I was bothering them... but you have to be on record that you did not do this. It's the only way. Yep, it sucks. Plus they will probably charge you for copies of the reports... JPSO sure did.. $25/each copy of each report.

ya, i'm sure that the police in brooklyn will be dancing a jig taking that report. lol.

nice of them to charge you. probably was for certified copies.

It's happened to me on several occassions, mainly due to the nature of my work. Try getting a call on Friday afternoon from your bank asking you if you've tried (unsuccessfully) to purchase £25,000 worth of power tools. Once this dickhead even tried to put down a deposit on a plot of land he was trying to buy using my bank details.

I don't know what it's like Stateside, but if you gather enough evidence - or even just a police crime reference number - proving the fraud was beyond all reasonable means to prevent, then the bank will nearly always take the hit.

If your debit card number gets jacked, are you responsible for the charges? I know you are not with credit cards..

It depends, most banks offer the same protection for debit cards now as long as it's reported within the stated amount of time.

Sorry to hear it wasn't caught by the bank though most banks don't pay attention unless the debit purchase is over $3000 then they deny the payment until you contact them and authorize it. Some won't even allow you to authorize over that amount.
I never use my debit card as a debit card unless I'm withdrawing money from my bank and I carefully inspect the ATM before I use it.
I also use two cards, one for everyday purchases and only keep enough money in that account to cover those purchases. The other one, attached to the primary account, gets stashed away just in case of emergencies. If you need one card for both people in the house have a third primary account and only put enough money in the other two accounts to cover daily expenses.

Good luck getting it fixed Jill.

luckily no. it was a fraudulent transaction, so ostensibly the money should be back in my account by tonight. they said about 12 hours.

Good...As it should be. All's well that ends well, I guess. Hope they nail the bastard thief too!

If you do a three way with the merchant and the bank you may get it back right away.

Forum List

Back