Smoking, Trans fats, and terrorists

Discussion in 'Politics' started by manifold, Mar 3, 2008.

1. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,718
    I opposed smoking bans and trans fats bans because I viewed both of them as unnecessary government intrustions on the free market. However, I want to throttle the living snot out of all those artards out there insisting that they are an infringement on personal liberty and a violation of constitutional rights. With such a twisted, perverted understanding of personal liberty so pandemic, it's hardly a surprise that real, legitimate rights are being constantly eroded with barely a peep. Thanks to the Patriot Act, you can have every right you're entitled to taken away without recourse. Period. Yet the same retards that insist we need to fight the terrorist scourge are often the same retards who get pissed because their "right" to eat an unhealthy meal, cooked in man-made fat byproducts, is being infringed upon.

Wake up you stupid donkeys!!

2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    So you are saying that the government deciding what I may or may not ingest on my own dime is NOT an infringement on my personal liberty? I disagree completely. I do agree however that it is also an intrusion on the free market.

How quickly we forget the wailing and gnashing of teeth for the goverment to "protect us" after 9/11 that partly resulted in the Patriot Act. Those would be the verysame people bitching about its infringement on the Constitution now.

I find the entire topic subjective. People tend to be just fine with legislation that infringes on the Constitution so long as it agrees with their agenda(s). The Patriot Act is just "another," not "the."

3. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    The ACLU isn't. Which is why they defend anti-ACLU'ers like Limbaugh. Regardless, after 9/11 there were many on the left (unfortunately NOT the Democrats in the house or the senate) who were very worried about what would happen to our civil liberties.

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The ACLU has its own agenda which is garbage in its own right.

Those on the left were more worried about their asses than their civil liberties following 9/11.

5. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    And want to tell me how defending its most harsh critics falls into that agenda? Their agenda is to defend the constitution. Nothing more, nothing less.

Nice historical revisionism there. Some were, but definitely not all. Mainstream Democrats were worried about their election prospects, but many on the left and academics were worried about civil liberties, especially in a Republican administration.

6. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    well, i'd say it's a matter of dimmed liberty when a business is restricted from selling to the consumer what the consumer wants. In my own neck of the woods smoking was banned in bars in 07. And, what do you know, 07 saw a mass exodus of local business closings, reduced population of our downtown area AND an increase in littering. As with Trans fats, until we don't have shit like Potted Meat, lard and high fructose corn syrup at the grocery store I suggest that punk bitches make a better personal choice instead of blaming KFC for their obesity.

As to how either of these stacks against complaints about Homeland security? An infraction is an infraction still. I don't really care if you value one over the other. As it is, pink lunger crusades are actually tangible rather than reflective of a popular book named after the year marvin Gaye died.

This is the kind of shit that makes me stand away from liberal politics.

7. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,758
    How is not allowing someone to perform a legal activity not an infringement of personal liberty? Not that I think it's a big deal in comparison with many provisions of the Patriot Act, but I don't understand this point.

8. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,718
    Yes, that would be an infringment. Just like them not allowing you to inject yourself with heroin is an infringement of your personal liberty.

However, the trans-fat ban does no such thing. It bans restaurants from using it as an ingredient. It doesn't stop you from using it at home.

9. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,718

What legal activity is a person not allowed to engage in? Regulating business is not the same as intruding on personal liberty. Taking a shit is a legal activity too. Are you saying that it's an infringement of my personal liberty because I can't drop trow and pinch off a loaf in downtown crossing?

10. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,718
    You mean like crack, prostitution and a line on tonight's game?