Smoking rate for U.S. adults drops to record low...

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009
Smoking rate for U.S. adults drops to record low...

Cigarette smoking among U.S. adults last year touched its lowest on record, a drop spurred by higher prices, smoke-free policies and anti-smoking campaigns, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Wednesday.

About 17.8 percent of American adults smoked cigarettes in 2013, down from 20.9 percent in 2005 and 42.4 percent in 1965, when the U.S. government began keeping records on smoking, the federal health agency said.

<snip>

The U.S. Midwest has the highest adult cigarette smoking rate, and the West has the lowest, according to the study.

Lesbians, gays and bisexual adults smoke about 50 percent more cigarettes than heterosexual people, the CDC said.

<snip>

States With Smoking Bans Tend to Have Lower Smoking Rates

ydf26khdtea6storxpslaq.png

xi3tqz0theklqpedsb-97g.png

The life expectancy for a smoker in the United States is about 64, which is 14 years shorter than the national average (which includes smokers), according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Going by these numbers it becomes clear that few pastimes, habits or addictions are deadlier than smoking. Only Russian roulette and scorpion juggling come to mind.

Much more than cancer

Part of the problem of the misconception of real risks is the emphasis on smoking and lung cancer. The greater danger is from vascular diseases leading to heart attacks and stroke, which kill more smokers than all cancers combined. Toxins in the tobacco smoke cause inflammation and hardening in the arteries.
Nearly as common as lung cancer among smokers is chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, which entails the narrowing of airways in the lung, largely in the form of chronic bronchitis or emphysema. Bronchitis is a result of smoking-induced inflammation; emphysema stems from cigarette smoking hardening the alveoli, the little sacks in the lungs where oxygen meets blood.

If painful death as a middle-age adult doesn't move you, consider life-quality issues. Smokers get sick more often because smoke paralyzes tiny hair-like structures in the lungs called cilia, which otherwise sweep dirt and bacteria out of your lungs. Smokers have less endurance, particularly sexual endurance, because carbon monoxide replaces oxygen in the blood.

Yet the core argument of ardent smokers remains firm: Smoking doesn't kill everyone. About 50 percent of smokers do reach old age, albeit with diminished taste buds, diminished endurance, diminished eyesight, yellow teeth and bad breath.

As with Obamacare, rightwing/Republicans will say passing regulations/laws that "force" people to live longer, healthier, more productive lives is... is a bad thing? And-----and they'll say they should have the right to become a burden on society, their families, loved oines and-----and to commit suicide by cigarette.

Good to hear. It's a nasty habit. I hope everyone will free themselves from it

Great news!

Keep it up. We are working with the HOA for a smoker free condo. Some resistance: tough.

It's all about the VAPIN' today.

A vastly superior Nicotine delivery system.
Fuck nicotine.

You need to try the fuckin' hash oil cartridges.

I wish I could get my Sword of Jah converted.

50 years of joints, and I am ready to vape for the rest of my life.

There's nothing superior about delivering nicotine. It's an addiction and shouldn't be glamorized nor should children be made to think it's better than smoking. The only thing better is not indulging at all. Vaping should face all the same restrictions as smoking.

There's nothing superior about delivering nicotine. It's an addiction and shouldn't be glamorized nor should children be made to think it's better than smoking. The only thing better is not indulging at all. Vaping should face all the same restrictions as smoking.

It doesn't Impact others in any remote way similar to combustive smoking. Typical progressive, banning something because YOU don't like it, and thus the rest of us should not be able to use it.

It doesn't Impact others in any remote way similar to combustive smoking. Typical progressive, banning something because YOU don't like it, and thus the rest of us should not be able to use it.
I used to think that way until I realized nicotine was being exhaled. People feel they can do it anywhere without ill effects, unlike smoking, leading to a greater likelihood of children thinking it's cool or worse, getting hooked on second-hand nicotine.

I used to think that way until I realized nicotine was being exhaled. People feel they can do it anywhere without ill effects, unlike smoking, leading to a greater likelihood of children thinking it's cool or worse, getting hooked on second-hand nicotine.

At what concentration? Are you really proposing that someone can get a second hand buzz from vapor exhaling?

As for the kids thing, "think of the children" is no reason to ban something for adults.

At what concentration? Are you really proposing that someone can get a second hand buzz from vapor exhaling?As for the kids thing, "think of the children" is no reason to ban something for adults.
I don't know, but if you get a crowd, I'm sure the nicotine concentration would be significant. Also, I never said "ban", I said "restrict". Right now people think there's nothing wrong with vaping around children because it's not smoke, but that's not the only problem.

Actually, "think of the children" and adults is a great motivation to ban harmful products.

Maybe some of you rubes should get the facts about smoking and second hand smoke instead of listening to the propaganda put out by the left and all the other control freaks. The United Nations World Health Organization did a study back in the 90's and found no significant effects from second hand smoke and actually found that the children of smokers were at a decreased risk of lung cancer of 22%. A pdf of the complete study is available at the link.

The World Health Organization's first study on SHS is a textbook example of the right way to conduct an epidemiological study. Unfortunately for them, it yielded unexpected results. They responded by doing a second one, a meta-analysis, that allowed them to extract the results they wanted. This is an analysis of their first study.

The WHO s First Study on Second Hand Smoke

Show us all contradictory studies since then. Cherry picking lacks academic integrity.

I enjoy an occasional cig, or Copenhagen, especially while camping or backpacking.

The pesticides and chemicals used to grow it are what make it especially unhealthy. American Spirit organic is probably the way to go, but doesn't have much flavor.

Tobacco users are thoroughly demonized in California, somewhere between property thieves and wife beaters. I attribute falling smoking rates to that, more than laws.

Some people are so squeamish, they freak out if someone is smoking 100 yards down the beach.

At what concentration? Are you really proposing that someone can get a second hand buzz from vapor exhaling?As for the kids thing, "think of the children" is no reason to ban something for adults.
I don't know, but if you get a crowd, I'm sure the nicotine concentration would be significant. Also, I never said "ban", I said "restrict". Right now people think there's nothing wrong with vaping around children because it's not smoke, but that's not the only problem.

The whole idea of vaping is absorption, with combustion you get non or slow absorbing byproducts which causes second hand smoke. Is there even a study out there to remotely back your claim, or is this more nanny state zelotry?

Forum List

Back