Smoked Salmon

Smoked Salmon Dip

1/2 lb smoked fish
1 pkg. cream cheese
3/4 c. sour cream

Place all ingredients in mixer and mix until well blended. ( I usually break the salmon apart by hand, removing the skin and most bones)

I like to add green onions or chives. Some people add horseradish, be creative and change this recipe to your liking!
That sounds good.
It’s amazing.

I’m smoking ribs right now. They’ve been on almost 2 hours.
Mine take six hours at 225. I think ribs are the only thing I smoke by time and cook temperature.
Everything else gets a meat thermometer and I cook to internal temperature.
I use a wireless remote to monitor the cook and an instant read at the end just to be sure.
Me too. I agree with it all. I couldn't live without my remote temp probe. I use it when I cook steaks too.

Sometimes I will take the ribs off after 5 hours if my pit temp gets up. Otherwise it's always 6 hours.

Mine take six hours at 225. I think ribs are the only thing I smoke by time and cook temperature.
I use a wireless remote to monitor the cook and an instant read at the end just to be sure.
I'll throw ears of fresh corn in the last hour. You ever tried that?

Poppyseed bagel, red onion, Capers, and a schmear.

Paired with a bloody mary.

Perfect for a cold afternoon!

What a coinkidink! One of my favorite local restaurants has started dining service recently. mr. boe and I are going there for brunch in a couple of hours. Their new menu has a smoked salmon salad - MINE!

Last edited:
Grew up chewing on bacalao, which in Maine they call stripped fish. My friend's dad salted and dried it every year on the clothesline. Fish jerky--and holy hell it stinks, but it's great just the same, especially with a nice cold beer. A friend of mine from Puerto Rico let me know it's not just an old Maine remnant, it's a real thing called bacalao and people soak the salt off it, rehydrate it and cook with it. I've never had it that way, though. If you're lucky, you can still find one or two places selling it in baggies by a local fisherman.

Love the OP'S sandwich, too.

Grew up chewing on bacalao, which in Maine they call stripped fish. My friend's dad salted and dried it every year on the clothesline. Fish jerky--and holy hell it stinks, but it's great just the same, especially with a nice cold beer. A friend of mine from Puerto Rico let me know it's not just an old Maine remnant, it's a real thing called bacalao and people soak the salt off it, rehydrate it and cook with it. I've never had it that way, though. If you're lucky, you can still find one or two places selling it in baggies by a local fisherman.

Bacalao sounds slightly better than lutefisk.

:)

I'll throw ears of fresh corn in the last hour. You ever tried that?
Close. When camping I cook on a wood fire. I open the husks to remove the silks, wrap em back up and soak them in water for a couple hours. Then they go on the grill when the coals are ready. They get a great smokey flavor and the corn flavor isn't half boiled away in water. You'll never have better.

I don't know what that is. If it's anything like pickled herring, you can have it.

I don't know what that is. If it's anything like pickled herring, you can have it.

Lutefisk is a Scandahoovian "delicacy": dehyrated cod reconstituted with lye. It smells something awful. One eats it with Lefse and melted butter. It was originally peasant food, but in the U.S., it's considered a Christmas trreat.

Lutefisk is a Scandahoovian "delicacy": dehyrated cod reconstituted with lye. It smells something awful. One eats it with Lefse and melted butter. It was originally peasant food, but in the U.S., it's considered a Christmas trreat.
I thought lye was bad for you?

I thought lye was bad for you?

Well, my Norwegian relatives live very very long lives, so perhaps in moderation?

Hard pass.

Forum List

Back