Smoked Salmon

I go fishing in SE Alaska every year and smoke pinks and silvers. Nothing store bought can compare.
I’m sure that’s true. Back in the 80s and 90s I took clients on fishing charters on Lake Michigan. Some years we caught a lot of salmon and lake trout. I would take it to my local butcher, who would smoke it for me. My family and coworkers loved it when I shared with them.
The locals snub their noses at pinks although they do grudgingly acknowledge that they are good smoked. They use alder but I can't readily get that so I use oak. The key to smoking salmon - besides proper prep - is to smoke it low and slow. You gotta keep the heat down.

I just got motivated to smoke some tomorrow. :)
I do mine at 225 for hot smoking. It happens really fast so ya gotta watch it really close.
Oak, hickory and apple wood blend but sometimes all apple wood. Brined the night before and of course it's set out to form the pelicle before it goes in the smoke.
Here's how I do mine.

Leave the skin on, rinse the fish with water and remove bones. I use needle nose pliers for that. Next comes the brining.

I dry brine but I have wanted to try a wet brine. The accepted dry brine ratio is 1 cup of salt to 1 cup of sugar. You can use white or brown sugar or some combination. Don't think it matters much. If wet brine it is 1 cup of salt to 1 cup of sugar to 1 gallon of water. If dry brining dredge in dry brine mixture and let sit for ~45 minutes and then rinse thoroughly and allow to dry overnight in a nice cool spot (I put a fan on it). This is what creates the pellicle which is what the smoke actually sticks to. No pellicle, no smoke flavor. I let my fish dry overnight. The longer you let it dry the better the finished product is.

It's very important to rinse the fish thoroughly after brining. This is true whether using dry or wet brine. If dry brining it is very important to not let the brine stay on it more than 45 minutes. Thinner fillets should probably be less. For wet brining it doesn't matter how long you brine it as long as you use the above ratios. If wet brining it will need to brine at least 4 to 8 hours. Which is why most Alaskans dry brine. It's more efficient and takes less time.

To smoke it go low and go slow. Otherwise if you hit it with too much heat too early albumin will start oozing out of the fish. It doesn't have any taste but it doesn't look appetizing. They call it white boogers. Which sounds nasty. Bottom line is that the albumin won't affect the taste but going low and slow will produce a better product.

I smoke at 80 to 100 F for as long as I can. 120F is OK but try to stay well below 140 F. 140F is bad. Depending on the temp and thickness of the filets, smoke time is somewhere between 3 to 8 hours. I take it off by touch. I want it to be firm but not dry. I eat what I can then wrap the leftovers in saran wrap (always cook lots of extras) then vacuum seal it. Wrapping in saran wrap before vacuum sealing will keep oil in the fish and make a better vacuum seal. You can keep it like that in the fridge for a month with no issues. Then when I serve it I take it out of the fridge and let it sit out for 4 hours (in the vacuum sealed pouch) to let it warm to room temperature and it will be almost as good as when it came out of the smoker. You will know you did it right if the fish is oily AF when you take it out of the vacuum sealed bag. My fish is literally dripping oil off of it.

Last thing. The most amazing part of salmon to smoke is the belly. It is no contest. If you have never had smoked salmon bellies you should try it before you die.

That's all I have on the how to.

Last edited:
I got motivated last night so I did a quick dry brine for 45 minutes, then rinsed the fish and let them dry overnight. This what they looked like in the morning
1605453873969.jpeg

1605453983520.jpeg

1605454037514.jpeg

1605454085928.jpeg

now we wait.

I go fishing in SE Alaska every year and smoke pinks and silvers. Nothing store bought can compare.
I’m sure that’s true. Back in the 80s and 90s I took clients on fishing charters on Lake Michigan. Some years we caught a lot of salmon and lake trout. I would take it to my local butcher, who would smoke it for me. My family and coworkers loved it when I shared with them.
Yeah, I remember fishing for Lake Trout and Salmon in L. Huron back in the 80's. Then the populations collapsed as they had to stop stocking them and re-evaluate.

"The immediate future for the Great Lakes won't see any additional sport fish added for Lake Michigan, said Jay Wesley, the DNR's Lake Michigan basin coordinator.

"Where we are at right now, there's no room for new predators," he said.

On Lake Huron, however, experimentation continues as managers try to rebound the lake from the rock-bottom it hit about a dozen years ago. Atlantic salmon, coho, lake trout and cisco are all on the rise, said Randall Claramunt, the DNR's Lake Huron basin coordinator.

"Where's it all headed? Follow Lake Huron," he said. "I really think that's going to be the paradigm shift; diversifying both the predators and the prey."

It looks like the same fate is in store for L. Michigan now, and from what I hear, that last good fishing will only be in Superior. But who can say for sure? :dunno: My folks know a guy that goes up there, he does it for fun, doesn't even like the taste of fish. . . :heehee:

. . I love the taste of Salmon. . but I have never had it fresh from the Ocean, only from the Lake. I wonder if it has a different taste when it is fresh from the Ocean vs. Fresh from the Lake.

:eusa_think:

The zebra mussels have drastically changed Lake Michigan. Smelt used to run in huge numbers. Not any more. Now, the Asian carp is at the gate. They should close off Lake Michigan at the lock. Before it's too late.

. . I love the taste of Salmon. . but I have never had it fresh from the Ocean, only from the Lake. I wonder if it has a different taste when it is fresh from the Ocean vs. Fresh from the Lake.

Silvers (aka coho) are amazing. Smoked bellies are insanely good. The oil pools on top and you can drink it.

I've never had lake salmon so can't say. Males in the ocean will have redder meat than once they go up the rivers. The meat is less red for females in the ocean with eggs. Typically the quality of the meat is best in the ocean and then deteriorates as it enters the river. The fish undergo pretty drastic changes in outward appearance as well.

Last edited:
Smoked Salmon Dip

1/2 lb smoked fish
1 pkg. cream cheese
3/4 c. sour cream

Place all ingredients in mixer and mix until well blended. ( I usually break the salmon apart by hand, removing the skin and most bones)

I like to add green onions or chives. Some people add horseradish, be creative and change this recipe to your liking!

I've never had lake salmon so can't say. Males in the ocean will have redder meat than once they go up the rivers. The meat is less red for females in the ocean with eggs. Typically the quality of the meat is best in the ocean and then deteriorates as it enters the river. The fish undergo pretty drastic changes in outward appearance as well.
Yeah, that's the difference between the L. Trout and the Salmon when we caught it in the lakes.

You would usually get both when you go out, the Salmon is really red when you smoked it, the Trout looked more like the females in your pics.

The locals snub their noses at pinks although they do grudgingly acknowledge that they are good smoked. They use alder but I can't readily get that so I use oak. The key to smoking salmon - besides proper prep - is to smoke it low and slow. You gotta keep the heat down.

I do mine at 225 for hot smoking. It happens really fast so ya gotta watch it really close.
Oak, hickory and apple wood blend but sometimes all apple wood. Brined the night before and of course it's set out to form the pelicle before it goes in the smoke.
No man. You smoke orangy colored fish in Guava wood..Marinate it in mango and a lil coconut oil
trout.JPG

The zebra mussels have drastically changed Lake Michigan. Smelt used to run in huge numbers. Not any more. Now, the Asian carp is at the gate. They should close off Lake Michigan at the lock. Before it's too late.
Yeah, those buggers are everywhere.

In every river, every lake, they invest every thing.

One hitches on a boat, like the yacht runs from Detroit to Mackinac, or Mackinac to Chicago, or anyone that puts their boat into any of the big lakes and then into any smaller river and/or lake, and they hitch a ride, and BOOM, they are everywhere.

logo_sah-vert-200px.jpg

No man. You smoke orangy colored fish in Guava wood..Marinate it in mango and a lil coconut oil
View attachment 416518
To each his own. If it's smoked fish I'll probably eat and like it.

Smoked Salmon Dip

1/2 lb smoked fish
1 pkg. cream cheese
3/4 c. sour cream

Place all ingredients in mixer and mix until well blended. ( I usually break the salmon apart by hand, removing the skin and most bones)

I like to add green onions or chives. Some people add horseradish, be creative and change this recipe to your liking!
That sounds good.

Forum List

Back