Smartest Cities in the USA based on Cognitive Performance... Liberal Bias?

Hell! If you want to break it down further, let's put average IQ of Huntsville Alabama up against, say, Hartford Connecticut.

Are you trying to say that you could find a southern city that is smarter than a northern city?

Because I do not disagree haha. Of course, there are smart cities and not so smart cities everywhere.

This study just picked the smartest 50 to 100 ish and pointed them out. I was just pointing out that the majority of the top tend to be in the north and not in the south, and brought it up for debate as to why studies tend to show results like this.

False liberal bias, or is it founded in empirical data?

I stumbled upon an article from about a month ago about the smartest places in the country, and noticed that, like most lists on the subject, they base it on the median level of education the people have achieved.

Don't get me wrong, higher education is great, but I don't necessarily think counting degrees is the best way to determine intelligence.

I then found this article from a year or two ago:

Smartest U.S. Cities 8 Of Top 50 Are In Massachusetts

It's interesting..

"This particular study did not rely on socioeconomic variables like income or education level to calculate the collective intelligence of different regions of the U.S., as some other “smartest” studies have done. Instead, Lumosity directly measured the cognitive performance of 3 million individuals from all over the country."

Now for the political part of this thread:

8 of those 50 cities are in Mass, and an overwhelming amount of the cities are in the liberal Northeast.

On the flip side, the most conservative region of the US, the southeast, is severely lacking in the list.

Liberal bias, or just the way the cookie crumbles?

Have fun.
Cognition relies on pre-existing knowledge, I.E. education. Has nothing to do with native intelligence.

Only if you completely misunderstand how such tests are created.

I stumbled upon an article from about a month ago about the smartest places in the country, and noticed that, like most lists on the subject, they base it on the median level of education the people have achieved.

Don't get me wrong, higher education is great, but I don't necessarily think counting degrees is the best way to determine intelligence.

I then found this article from a year or two ago:

Smartest U.S. Cities 8 Of Top 50 Are In Massachusetts

It's interesting..

"This particular study did not rely on socioeconomic variables like income or education level to calculate the collective intelligence of different regions of the U.S., as some other “smartest” studies have done. Instead, Lumosity directly measured the cognitive performance of 3 million individuals from all over the country."

Now for the political part of this thread:

8 of those 50 cities are in Mass, and an overwhelming amount of the cities are in the liberal Northeast.

On the flip side, the most conservative region of the US, the southeast, is severely lacking in the list.

Liberal bias, or just the way the cookie crumbles?

Have fun.
Cognition relies on pre-existing knowledge, I.E. education. Has nothing to do with native intelligence.

Only if you completely misunderstand how such tests are created.
I only understand the premise used in creating the test is false. There is no test that can tell anyone how intelligent they are.

I have met so many under educated bed wetters like Pete, who are simply concrete learners, nothing more.

Could the reason 'intelligence' results by region are always skewed towards the liberals and against the conservatives be because of the way people in general measure intelligence?

For instance, IQ tests and the like are all about finding patterns, reading between the lines, seeing what is not in front of you, and other abstract thought exercises.

Liberals, just based on their beliefs alone, tend to be more abstract and less concrete in their ideas and their intelligence, and conservatives generally are the opposite: More concrete/tried and true ideas, less abstract/new and unproven ideas.

Could that be the reason for the consistent skew in almost every study on the subject?

The NE and the Far West are better educated in comparison to those states increasingly as you move east from New Mexico.

Could the reason 'intelligence' results by region are always skewed towards the liberals and against the conservatives be because of the way people in general measure intelligence?

For instance, IQ tests and the like are all about finding patterns, reading between the lines, seeing what is not in front of you, and other abstract thought exercises.

Liberals, just based on their beliefs alone, tend to be more abstract and less concrete in their ideas and their intelligence, and conservatives generally are the opposite: More concrete/tried and true ideas, less abstract/new and unproven ideas.

Could that be the reason for the consistent skew in almost every study on the subject?

More proof that the far left religion is the most dangerous religion on the planet..

I have met so many under educated bed wetters like Pete, who are simply concrete learners, nothing more.

Another irony impaired post from the far left drones!!
I take it you are a far right drone?

To any far left drone, I suppose so! But then again anything that is not far left is automatically far right to them..
Well you claimed I was far left so you must be a far right drone.

Another irony impaired post from the far left drones!!
I take it you are a far right drone?

To any far left drone, I suppose so! But then again anything that is not far left is automatically far right to them..

I think you have that backwards. The Far Right is the ideology that hates centrism. Why else would 'RINO' be such a popular term in today's political culture?

Also, look at any polling data that chronicles the ideology of the party voters. The Republican voting block is made up of a WIDE majority of self described 'conservatives' and a few 'moderates', and the Democratic voting block is made up of almost equal numbers of self described 'liberals' and 'moderates'.
If you want a source, I'll dig up a Gallup study for you.
You know, because I deal in facts.

On the political compass, I'm a left-leaning populist moderate, but to you and other RW's I'm a radical, left wing drone. That's an anecdotal example of my point.

I wasn't calling anybody stupid.

Maybe not, but there have been far too many liberals insulting southerners, so forgive me if I took it the wrong way.

Understood. I was solely commenting on the consistent studies that show consistent results like this, and opening the subject up for debate.

I live in the south, and half of my family is southern, so I'm not a 'south hater'.
I do hate some of the positions in social conservatism, and the south as a region tends to hold social conservative views more consistently than other parts of the country, but I don't hate the people themselves.

Are you trying to say that you could find a southern city that is smarter than a northern city?

I'm living in one of them. Naturally, since the main UGA campus is located here.

Like I said in the rest of the post you quoted of mine, I would not doubt that there are southern cities that are smarter than northern cities. There are 'smart' and 'not so smart' everywhere.

I dunno ... living somewhere the temp is -10 / -15 degrees 3 months out of the year, and summer lasts for 30 minutes is smart?

Give me plenty of that stupid warm weather.

In the south they is good at relaxing and taken time off n such. Whenever I go down there I am able to see how things slow down and thinkin slows down.

Forum List

Back