Smartest Cities in the USA based on Cognitive Performance... Liberal Bias?

-S-

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2015
I stumbled upon an article from about a month ago about the smartest places in the country, and noticed that, like most lists on the subject, they base it on the median level of education the people have achieved.

Don't get me wrong, higher education is great, but I don't necessarily think counting degrees is the best way to determine intelligence.

I then found this article from a year or two ago:

Smartest U.S. Cities 8 Of Top 50 Are In Massachusetts

It's interesting..

"This particular study did not rely on socioeconomic variables like income or education level to calculate the collective intelligence of different regions of the U.S., as some other “smartest” studies have done. Instead, Lumosity directly measured the cognitive performance of 3 million individuals from all over the country."

Now for the political part of this thread:

8 of those 50 cities are in Mass, and an overwhelming amount of the cities are in the liberal Northeast.

On the flip side, the most conservative region of the US, the southeast, is severely lacking in the list.

Liberal bias, or just the way the cookie crumbles?

Have fun.

I have met plenty of "highly educated" people who are as dumb as a box of rocks.

Pedigree doesn't impress me. Independent thinking does.

I have met plenty of "highly educated" people who are as dumb as a box of rocks.

Pedigree doesn't impress me. Independent thinking does.

Same for me.

That's why I was impressed with this study.

They didn't go by how many degrees a person has, or what college they went to. They acquired the results by testing 3 million people based solely on their cognitive abilities. Nothing was based on education level.

I'd like to see the samples I guess, but something tells me they only tested people living in trailer parks and ghettos down south, and from afluent neighborhoods in the NE. The results just seem skewed.

I'd like to see the samples I guess, but something tells me they only tested people living in trailer parks and ghettos down south, and from afluent neighborhoods in the NE. The results just seem skewed.

I'm curious about that as well. I mean, no offense to the south (I live there), but I fully expected the northeast to win in this little list, but I was just surprised by the total lopsidedness of the results.

On the flip side, the most conservative region of the US, the southeast, is severely lacking in the list.

So, ensconced within the message of this thread is, "Liberals are smarter than conservatives, people from the north are smarter than people from the south."

I beg your pardon?

This whole "southern people are stupid" meme is getting quite old. I should also mention how liberals favor a disastrous educational curriculum known as "Common Core."

I'm curious about that as well. I mean, no offense to the south (I live there), but I fully expected the northeast to win in this little list, but I was just surprised by the total lopsidedness of the results.

Then as the old saying goes here down south, "don't put your cart before the horse."

These type of studies mean nothing to me there are smart and dumb people in all regions of the country. The political leanings of the city or state one happens to live in has little if anything to do with how smart or stupid you are the individual decides that no matter where they live.

I stumbled upon an article from about a month ago about the smartest places in the country, and noticed that, like most lists on the subject, they base it on the median level of education the people have achieved.

Don't get me wrong, higher education is great, but I don't necessarily think counting degrees is the best way to determine intelligence.

It's interesting..

"This particular study did not rely on socioeconomic variables like income or education level to calculate the collective intelligence of different regions of the U.S., as some other “smartest” studies have done. Instead, Lumosity directly measured the cognitive performance of 3 million individuals from all over the country."

8 of those 50 cities are in Mass, and an overwhelming amount of the cities are in the liberal Northeast.

Have fun.
Cognition relies on pre-existing knowledge, I.E. education. Has nothing to do with native intelligence.

Last edited:
So, ensconced within the message of this thread is, "Liberals are smarter than conservatives, people from the north are smarter than people from the south."

I beg your pardon?

This whole "southern people are stupid" meme is getting quite old. I should also mention how liberals favor a disastrous educational curriculum known as "Common Core."

I mentioned earlier today that liberals have nearly destroyed the entire education system. They've burdened it with useless bureaucrooks and administrators, unions protect incompetent and sometimes even criminal teachers, the federalizing of more and more funding and curriculum is stifling, and the seemingly unlimited amount of federal funds have blown tuition rates sky high.

Then kids get out of college with an MBA in Ancient Sudanese Pottery and $50K or more in debt and are lucky to get a manager's job at McDonalds.

I don't really put too much stock in these studies; however, I am not going to pretend that seeing my city ranked 10th doesn't make me feel a little pleased.

I beg your pardon?

Well that's what I brought up for debate: liberals being smarter than conservatives in studies, and whether it's true.

I don't like the lists that use education level, because
1.) I feel it's unfair to the south where there are less people with higher education, and
2.) Like Pete7469, I believe there are way too many stupid people who have degrees for that to be accurate.

But even with this study, that throws higher education and income level out the window, the liberal north outdoes the conservative south. I just found it interesting because I thought taking education level out of the equation would provide different results.

That's why I brought it up for debate. I wasn't calling anybody stupid.

I beg your pardon?

I mentioned earlier today that liberals have nearly destroyed the entire education system. They've burdened it with useless bureaucrooks and administrators, unions protect incompetent and sometimes even criminal teachers, the federalizing of more and more funding and curriculum is stifling, and the seemingly unlimited amount of federal funds have blown tuition rates sky high.

Then kids get out of college with an MBA in Ancient Sudanese Pottery and $50K or more in debt and are lucky to get a manager's job at McDonalds.

I think the college system in this country is far worse off than the K-12 system.

You have to pay a fortune in money you generally don't have, take a majority of classes that don't pertain to your desired career, and get a piece of paper that shows you jumped through hoops.

Why can't you just get the job if you're good at the shit you're applying for?

I beg your pardon?

Well that's what I brought up for debate: liberals being smarter than conservatives in studies, and whether it's true.

I don't like the lists that use education level, because
1.) I feel it's unfair to the south where there are less people with higher education, and
2.) Like Pete7469, I believe there are way too many stupid people who have degrees for that to be accurate.

But even with this study, that throws higher education and income level out the window, the liberal north outdoes the conservative south. I just found it interesting because I thought taking education level out of the equation would provide different results.

That's why I brought it up for debate. I wasn't calling anybody stupid.
I would like to offer that liberals are inherently smarter than conservatives. If everyone had always been a conservative nothing would have changed since mankind became sentient. Matter of fact the first sentient human had to be a liberal.

It's interesting..

Have fun.
There are a lot of former New Yorkers living in Florida. That kind of skews the results.

There are a lot of former New Yorkers living in Florida. That kind of skews the results.

A lot of commiefornians in TX too. I don't know if there is a bunch of tools that could more effectively reduce the collective intelligence of a region more than those assholes.

A lot of commiefornians in TX too. I don't know if there is a bunch of tools that could more effectively reduce the collective intelligence of a region more than those assholes.

Playing Devil's advocate, a portion of California was pretty highly represented on that study, as was a portion of Texas.

The one reason that I would question results like this is that it identifies so many people in one state. That simply does not make sense if you ask me. The question I have is why?
Repeat the experiment. Same results means it is corroborated. I would be interested to see such results.

Forum List

Back