Sleeping in your office?

No it is not a problem. It is a solution to what could be a problem if they had to pay for two residences in two states, on their salaries. I admire them. There is a huge exercise room with showers for all Congresspersons.

Is it really a problem?

A Washington ethics watchdog says it's time for Congress to crack down on lawmakers who sleep in their offices rather than pay for a place to live. Reacting to a surge in congressmen bunking down in their work spaces, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington wants the Office of Congressional Ethics to investigate whether the politicians are getting an unfair tax break and violating their own rules by making personal use of public resources.
"House office buildings are not dorms or frat houses," Melanie Sloan, the group's executive director, said Thursday. "If members didn't want to find housing in Washington, they shouldn't have run for Congress in the first place."
For years, at least a few lawmakers have slept on couches and cots in their offices to avoid long commutes or pricey Washington rents. Some see it as a badge of honor, a commitment to frugality and hard work, and a reminder to constituents they don't consider Washington home.
CREW cited media reports that more than 30 lawmakers, all men, are now doing it. Sloan thinks the real total could be as many as 40 or 50 after a wave of budget-conscious, anti-Washington freshmen won seats in November.
Rep. Paul Ryan, the House Budget Committee chairman, has slept in his office for years. Ryan, R-Wis., brushed aside questions about the complaint.
"People have been doing it for decades," he said. "I work until midnight every night. I get up at six every morning."
Another longtime office-sleeper, Rep. Luis Gutierrez, D-Ill., said he'll move out if the rules change. But he said it is more convenient for him to stay in the Capitol complex.
Watchdog calls for crack down on Congress sleepovers - Politics - Capitol Hill - msnbc.com

Why in gods Name would this be a problem?
:dunno:

Ask the idiots who're crying about it

Is it really a problem?

A Washington ethics watchdog says it's time for Congress to crack down on lawmakers who sleep in their offices rather than pay for a place to live. Reacting to a surge in congressmen bunking down in their work spaces, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington wants the Office of Congressional Ethics to investigate whether the politicians are getting an unfair tax break and violating their own rules by making personal use of public resources.
"House office buildings are not dorms or frat houses," Melanie Sloan, the group's executive director, said Thursday. "If members didn't want to find housing in Washington, they shouldn't have run for Congress in the first place."
For years, at least a few lawmakers have slept on couches and cots in their offices to avoid long commutes or pricey Washington rents. Some see it as a badge of honor, a commitment to frugality and hard work, and a reminder to constituents they don't consider Washington home.
CREW cited media reports that more than 30 lawmakers, all men, are now doing it. Sloan thinks the real total could be as many as 40 or 50 after a wave of budget-conscious, anti-Washington freshmen won seats in November.
Rep. Paul Ryan, the House Budget Committee chairman, has slept in his office for years. Ryan, R-Wis., brushed aside questions about the complaint.
"People have been doing it for decades," he said. "I work until midnight every night. I get up at six every morning."
Another longtime office-sleeper, Rep. Luis Gutierrez, D-Ill., said he'll move out if the rules change. But he said it is more convenient for him to stay in the Capitol complex.
Watchdog calls for crack down on Congress sleepovers - Politics - Capitol Hill - msnbc.com

Why in gods Name would this be a problem?

Zoning ordinance violation?
Offices are not residences.

Zoning ordinance violation?
Offices are not residences.

Whether or not its technically legal means nothing to me.

Foolish zoning laws aside, is there any reason that this is a bad thing? I've slept in offices for months at a time working on campaigns. It's not the most comfortable thing in the world, but you get a shitload of work done.

Hoy much work is in a shitload anyway?

When it's a week until election day, you've just been handed a 25,000 dollar check and told to hire, train, and manager a staff of 50-60 paid canvassers, record a drive-time radio add, and organize a honk-and-wave rally for that afternoon - that's a shitload.

Hoy much work is in a shitload anyway?

When it's a week until election day, you've just been handed a 25,000 dollar check and told to hire, train, and manager a staff of 50-60 paid canvassers, record a drive-time radio add, and organize a honk-and-wave rally for that afternoon - that's a shitload.
Have you considered applying at the MoI-A?

Is it really a problem?

I don't have a problem with it...as long as the janitors and the kitchen staff are allowed the same privilege.

The issue isn't about sacking out on the couch. It's about taxpayer furnished "offices" supplied with all the comforts of a Teddy Kennedy pad.

The issue isn't about sacking out on the couch. It's about taxpayer furnished "offices" supplied with all the comforts of a Teddy Kennedy pad.

What extras are taxpayers providing for those that sleep in their offices as opposed to those that don't? I'm betting that they have to provide their own pillow and hot plate.

You're joking, right?

Have you ever been in a Congressman's D.C. office?

Clearly he has not.

quigleyoffice-1.jpg

Not quite the lap of luxury.

They are vagrants, kick them out

No other worker would be allowed to live in their workplace. Zoning would not allow it and they work in a public building

Let them sleep in homeless shelters

Firemen do.

Then they should join the fire department
Considering Congress rarely scheduled anything of any importance on Monday or Friday, it might may sense to some of these people to sleep in their office if they aren't going to be there for half the week.

It really tees me off that many member of congress miss votes and take off at a drop the hat. In the House most representatives spend 50% of their time raising money or campaigning.

Is it really a problem?

Members of Congress can approve their own pay raise, and this ethics watchdog group has a problem with them sleeping in their office. False outrage anyone?

Forum List

Back