Sleeping Giant: Turkey

Xenophanes

Rookie
Jun 23, 2011
Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan is now leading a country that has become a world power and a possible power player in reforming the Middle East, as Turkey has many powerful ties to other Middle-Eastern countries that can enable it to have a strong hand reform. Especially with its economy growing as the rest of the world struggles, Turkey has become a power that many did not expect and one that needs to be given attention. We seem to have overlooked Turkey’s actual power until now, after its recent election; however, we did try to push the “Turkish Model’ for other Middle-Eastern countries, who thought Turkey much too utilitarian. Now, though, these countries may just have to listen to Turkey’s ideas for reform, as they are struggling too much with their own problems (Egypt and its upcoming election, Saudi Arabia with oil prices and the countries surrounding it, Israel) and will most likely fall under Turkey’s influence as it gains more power with Erdogan in his third term. The U.S. would do well to strengthen its relationship with Turkey even more in the coming years, especially now that Turkey is the most powerful and prosperous Muslim country.

Many countries are working in concert to destroy the American Hegemony over the Middle East. Some of these countries wish to expand their borders and control. Turkey is one of those countries. Iran is another. Others are attempting to hold onto what they have. The Saudi wish to maintain. Israel would like Judea and Samaria and Egypt would like to remove the smell of dung that emanates all over the living area. Running water would be nice.

Time will tell. After seeing what Turkey has done to the Armenian Christians and their land and now what they do to the Kurds it is clear that they have no wish to expatiate their genocide of the Christian Armenians and will do the same to the Kurds once the gloves are off.

Time will tell. After seeing what Turkey has done to the Armenian Christians and their land and now what they do to the Kurds it is clear that they have no wish to expatiate their genocide of the Christian Armenians and will do the same to the Kurds once the gloves are off.

America's involvement in this issue could seriously strain its relationship with Turkey, threatening its influence in the Middle East. Turkey is a valuable ally in Middle-Eastern reform; however, this is not the only issue. Turkey's government seems to be moving toward radical Islam, so while maintaining a good relationship could have positive outcomes regarding the Middle East, it could also be dangerous. In order to accomplish what it wants, the U.S. may have to perform a precarious balancing act in its friendship with Turkey in order to do what is moral and good for it's people and to accomplish it's goals and maintain its power.

Last edited:

America's involvement in this issue could seriously strain its relationship with Turkey, threatening its influence in the Middle East. Turkey is a valuable ally in Middle-Eastern reform; however, this is not the only issue. Turkey's government seems to be moving toward radical Islam, so while maintaining a good relationship could have positive outcomes regarding the Middle East, it could also be dangerous. In order to accomplish what it wants, the U.S. may have to perform a precarious balancing act in its friendship with Turkey in order to do what is moral and good for it's people and to accomplish it's goals and maintain its power.

Both are walking a tighter line with each other regardless of the genocide issue. Obama is far more willing to discuss and pretend that issue is not important. The Islamic shift is clear. All one has to do is look at the streets of Turkey twenty years ago in comparison to the present and it is clear.

Turkey's balance had better be damned good. I have traveled to Turkey many times in the late seventies and early eighties. I would not want to go there anymore. Erdogan is a smart man. He protects the minorities at the moment, but ....

Both are walking a tighter line with each other regardless of the genocide issue. Obama is far more willing to discuss and pretend that issue is not important. The Islamic shift is clear. All one has to do is look at the streets of Turkey twenty years ago in comparison to the present and it is clear.

Turkey's balance had better be damned good. I have traveled to Turkey many times in the late seventies and early eighties. I would not want to go there anymore. Erdogan is a smart man. He protects the minorities at the moment, but ....

Where Turkey goes and how tightly Ergodan holds the reins will be an issue that Obama cannot ignore if he wants to maintain America's hegemony over the Middle East, which, though American influence is not desirable, may very well be needed for Middle Eastern reform. Turkey is a dangerous ally, but a necessary one. What is important is that good relations are kept as long as Obama stays wary of Erdogan.

I have been to a Turkey a few times stopping in and out when I was in the Military, I also would not want to go there again. I don't like this Islamic turn they are taking and this whole Flotilla business is just a huge fraud.

I have been to a Turkey a few times stopping in and out when I was in the Military, I also would not want to go there again. I don't like this Islamic turn they are taking and this whole Flotilla business is just a huge fraud.

Again, Turkey will most likely have to be another ally that the U.S. cannot completely trust.

Again, Turkey will most likely have to be another ally that the U.S. cannot completely trust.

Like another Pakistan but to a lesser degree, Turks aren't launching attacks on our Military bases there yet. I honestly can't think of 1 Muslim country the US can completely trust and that is sad.

mosqueistanbul.jpg

Like another Pakistan but to a lesser degree, Turks aren't launching attacks on our Military bases there yet. I honestly can't think of 1 Muslim country the US can completely trust and that is sad.

And Turkey has a long past of their own proof. Not only the Armenians. Research the Turkish Ottoman Empire to see how they were for how they will be.

There were many reasons why the Ottoman Empire was so successful:

* Highly centralised
* Power was always transferred to a single person, and not split between rival princes
o The Ottoman Empire was successfully ruled by a single family for 7 centuries.
* State-run education system
* Religion was incorporated in the state structure, and the Sultan was regarded as "the protector of Islam".
* State-run judicial system
* Ruthless in dealing with local leaders
* Promotion to positions of power largely depended on merit
* Created alliances across political and racial groups
* United by Islamic ideology
* United by Islamic warrior code with ideal of increasing Muslim territory through Jihad
* United by Islamic organisational and administrative structures
* Highly pragmatic, taking the best ideas from other cultures and making them their own
* Encouraged loyalty from other faith groups
* Private power and wealth were controlled
* Very strong military
o Strong slave-based army
o Expert in developing gunpowder as a military tool
o Military ethos pervaded whole administration

Rule of force

At first the rule of the Ottoman Sultans was insecure. To consolidate their Empire the Ottoman Sultans formed groups of fanatical fighters - the orders of the Janissaries, a crack infantry group of slaves and Christian converts to Islam.

The Ottomans inflicted a series of defeats on the declining Christian Byzantine Empire and then quickly expanded westward.

BBC - Religions - Islam and the Turkish-Ottoman Empire (1301-1922)

I say keep an eye on them and I put forwards that Turkey will need to walk that line more than America. Some keep saying that America needs to ....

I say Turkey needs to....

Turkey will most likely have to be another ally that the U.S. cannot completely trust.

Completely?

How about hardly at all? That's where I go.

mosqueistanbul.jpg

And Turkey has a long past of their own proof. Not only the Armenians. Research the Turkish Ottoman Empire to see how they were for how they will be.

Rule of force

At first the rule of the Ottoman Sultans was insecure. To consolidate their Empire the Ottoman Sultans formed groups of fanatical fighters - the orders of the Janissaries, a crack infantry group of slaves and Christian converts to Islam.

The Ottomans inflicted a series of defeats on the declining Christian Byzantine Empire and then quickly expanded westward.

BBC - Religions - Islam and the Turkish-Ottoman Empire (1301-1922)

I say keep an eye on them and I put forwards that Turkey will need to walk that line more than America. Some keep saying that America needs to ....

I say Turkey needs to....

Indeed, none of the Arab countries in the Middle East like the Turks because of the Ottoman Empire. Turkey needs to be watched because of their history of genocide against the Armenians and what they are currently doing now to the Kurds.

And Turkey has a long past of their own proof. Not only the Armenians.

Not just their history of genocide, but as before stated, the history of the Turkish Ottoman Empire. We may very well be facing a new empire, a powerful Islamic empire, which the world has not seen for a long time. We will not know how to react to an opposing power that is not western except with strong distrust. Perhaps rightly so because of its history and the stance it seems to be taking. Perhaps looking to the past will aid the U.S.

Not just their history of genocide, but as before stated, the history of the Turkish Ottoman Empire. We may very well be facing a new empire, a powerful Islamic empire, which the world has not seen for a long time. We will not know how to react to an opposing power that is not western except with strong distrust. Perhaps rightly so because of its history and the stance it seems to be taking. Perhaps looking to the past will aid the U.S.

I don't see an Islamic empire anytime soon, look at Iraq, Pakistan, Libya, Somalia etc etc most of the people being killed there are Muslims at the hands of other Muslims, they don't even like each other so I don't see a consolidated empire anytime soon, hell the Saudis want the US and Israel to bomb Irans nuke facilities!:eek:

I don't see an Islamic empire anytime soon, look at Iraq, Pakistan, Libya, Somalia etc etc most of the people being killed there are Muslims at the hands of other Muslims, they don't even like each other so I don't see a consolidated empire anytime soon, hell the Saudis want the US and Israel to bomb Irans nuke facilities!:eek:

Yes, but Turkey has many ties to almost all of these countries that could enable it to gain leverage over them.

Yes, but Turkey has many ties to almost all of these countries that could enable it to gain leverage over them.

All of Turkeys neighbors hate them though.

All of Turkeys neighbors hate them though.

Not all countries like the U.S. but they are willing to do business with us because of how much influence we have. As long as Turkey has something they can bring to the table to benefit their neighbors, they will listen.

Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan is now leading a country that has become a world power and a possible power player in reforming the Middle East, as Turkey has many powerful ties to other Middle-Eastern countries that can enable it to have a strong hand reform. Especially with its economy growing as the rest of the world struggles, Turkey has become a power that many did not expect and one that needs to be given attention. We seem to have overlooked Turkey’s actual power until now, after its recent election; however, we did try to push the “Turkish Model’ for other Middle-Eastern countries, who thought Turkey much too utilitarian. Now, though, these countries may just have to listen to Turkey’s ideas for reform, as they are struggling too much with their own problems (Egypt and its upcoming election, Saudi Arabia with oil prices and the countries surrounding it, Israel) and will most likely fall under Turkey’s influence as it gains more power with Erdogan in his third term. The U.S. would do well to strengthen its relationship with Turkey even more in the coming years, especially now that Turkey is the most powerful and prosperous Muslim country.

Mr. Erdogan has achieved what so few achieve:
He was re-elected the 3rd time, and by each time he raised his share of votes:
From 16 parties who were registered in the elections Mr. Erdogan's party received 49% share of the votes.

Turkey isn't a world-power. For that to be the population basis doesn't exist.
You can't be a world-power with 74 Million people (growing by about 1 Million each year).
But Turkey is a multi-regional power ( 42 countries exist in an arc raduis of 1.000 KM from Ankara) with the fastest growing economy and the biggest economy in its regions.

To the other guys who say, they would never visit Turkey:
Turkey hosts each year 29 Million tourists, rapidly rising and is within the Top-10 destinations for tourism:
Tourism in Turkey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We neither need you nor are Anti-Turks really welcome.

Forum List

Back