Sleep’s Best-Kept Secret: A Treatment for Insomnia That’s Not a Pill

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Why behavior therapy isn't used more, and what your smartphone can do about that
By Francine Russo Jan. 31, 20143 Comments

This really hits home with me as I haven't had a full night's uninterrupted sleep in so many years I can't remember when I did!

Do you toss and turn for hours before falling asleep? Or go to bed early but still wake up tired? Or keep waking up during the night? Then you’re among the more than 20% of people in the U.S. who suffer from a sleeping disorder like insomnia and your doctor is probably prescribing sleeping pills to help you doze through the night.

Read more: Treating insomnia: forget the pills, use a smartphone app instead | TIME.com Treating insomnia: forget the pills, use a smartphone app instead | TIME.com

:clap2:

That, or for absolutely free you could just masturbate before. Take advantage of the 100% natural resolution period (in men at least) and let that natural sedative help you fall asleep. Dunno if it helps women fall asleep, but hey worth a shot. :)

The last thing I want is my phone in my bedroom.
I don't need text messages, email or phone calls interrupting my sleep.
I sleep fine without it.

Granny says dat's why Uncle Ferd always nappin' - so's he don't get brain damage...
:eusa_shifty:
Scientists: Sleep Loss May Cause Brain Damage
March 20, 2014 ~ Those of us who sleep longer on weekends to try to make up for the time we didn't get enough sleep during the week may actually be losing some brain cells.
According to University of Pennsylvania neuroscientist Sigrid Veasey, the common idea that the 'sleep debt' can be replenished by getting extra sleep days later may be a myth.

After putting a bunch of laboratory mice on a schedule similar to one people doing shift work experience, Veasey and her team discovered that the mice brains lost up to 25 percent of the neurons associated with alertness and cognitive functioning.

Writing in the Journal of Neuroscience, she explains that when mice lose a little sleep, their brains respond by creating more of a protein called sirtuin type 3, which energizes and protects the neurons. But when the loss of sleep became habitual, release of the protein stopped and depletion of neurons accelerated.

Veasey and her group now plan to study the brains of deceased shift workers to see whether the same damage can be detected in humans.

Scientists: Sleep Loss May Cause Brain Damage

Why behavior therapy isn't used more, and what your smartphone can do about that
By Francine Russo Jan. 31, 20143 Comments

This really hits home with me as I haven't had a full night's uninterrupted sleep in so many years I can't remember when I did!

Do you toss and turn for hours before falling asleep? Or go to bed early but still wake up tired? Or keep waking up during the night? Then you’re among the more than 20% of people in the U.S. who suffer from a sleeping disorder like insomnia and your doctor is probably prescribing sleeping pills to help you doze through the night.
Read more: Treating insomnia: forget the pills, use a smartphone app instead | TIME.com Treating insomnia: forget the pills, use a smartphone app instead | TIME.com

:clap2:

Interesting info.

If you snore like me than you're likely suffering from sleep apnea which is generally combated with a CPAP machine (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure). It helps open the airways during sleep and gently forces air into your lungs during sleep. It helps millions upon millions live a better life. I need one but have yet to get one. So I still toss and turn most of the time.

One thing that really does help me a lot is drinking lots of water before bed. I can usually sleep most of the night when I do. My problem is that I usually forget to drink it. LOL ... sad memory loss I guess.

Last edited:
That, or for absolutely free you could just masturbate before. Take advantage of the 100% natural resolution period (in men at least) and let that natural sedative help you fall asleep. Dunno if it helps women fall asleep, but hey worth a shot. :)

:lol:

I've suffered from insomnia all my life...I've taken melatonin for years when I need to get to sleep...works good for me

I think much of the problem for many with sleep is they've overregimented their schedules. Sleep now, wake up now, get ready now, go to work now, etc. I sleep when I'm tired. I get up when I wake up. I nap if I need to. Eat when I'm hungry. But none of it's at a specific time. Where's the fun in having every moment planned out?

The only way I can get some decent sleep in is to have an alcoholic drink prior to going to bed. Otherwise I tend to worry about everything instead of sleeping. The smartphone app looks interesting however.

I like to listen to sound of rain or Arctic wind before I sleep. It helps me fall asleep faster and it's free, you have plenty of options on YouTube.

I think much of the problem for many with sleep is they've overregimented their schedules. Sleep now, wake up now, get ready now, go to work now, etc. I sleep when I'm tired. I get up when I wake up. I nap if I need to. Eat when I'm hungry. But none of it's at a specific time.
btw When is your release date? or are you doing life?? . :cool:

I think much of the problem for many with sleep is they've overregimented their schedules. Sleep now, wake up now, get ready now, go to work now, etc. I sleep when I'm tired. I get up when I wake up. I nap if I need to. Eat when I'm hungry. But none of it's at a specific time. Where's the fun in having every moment planned out?

Right! I chose a path in life that allows me the freedom to sleep whenever I choose, day or night, as long as I get my work done. I think I sleep better with the sun up. I pity all the people that repeat the same cycle every day for years on end. No wonder so many of them hate the way they choose to make money.

But if that's what people want then hey who am I to judge. Some people need or enjoy that kind of extreme order. I like to face each day as it comes at me. I like a balance of order and chaos... usually moreso chaos.

Last edited:
A couple years ago I started doing two things to help me sleep through the night. I don't drink anything after 7pm, and I take two Advil pills right before I get into bed.

Works like a charm. I always sleep right through.

I also maintain the same sleep schedule, 7 days a week.

A couple years ago I started doing two things to help me sleep through the night. I don't drink anything after 7pm, and I take two Advil pills right before I get into bed.

Works like a charm. I always sleep right through.

I also maintain the same sleep schedule, 7 days a week.

I do the same about drinking and eating - nothing after 7 but I avoid analgesics except for the worst pain. They're not near as safe as people seem to think they are.

Instead, Melatonin with valerian, hops, chamomile, etc. Very effective, safe, and much easier on your liver.

Also very helpful - exercise. Not just before bed but regular exercise tends to be very helpful for pain and that's the one thing that interrupts my sleep.

Forum List

Back