Size of Countries by Population

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
world-map-population.jpg

Look how small Russia is. And it’s a “world power.” And how little Canada is.

Max Roser has constructed a cartogram of the world where the size of the countries are determined by their populations (big version of the image here). He refers to it as “the map we need if we want to think about how global living conditions are changing”.

More @ A Map of the World Where the Sizes of Countries Are Determined by Population

world-map-population.jpg

Max Roser has constructed a cartogram of the world where the size of the countries are determined by their populations (big version of the image here). He refers to it as “the map we need if we want to think about how global living conditions are changing”.

More @ A Map of the World Where the Sizes of Countries Are Determined by Population

Russia looks bigger than it is because it's in the north. Maps tend to make those places closer to the poles look bigger.

Same with Canada.

world-map-countries-actual-size-refrence-world-maps-of-a-most-unusual-sort-kids-discover-of-world-map-countries-actual-size-within-world-map-actual-size.png

That Russia is so small population wise, compared to the US, China and India, must make people wonder why they're so good.

Look how small America is. ...compared to China.

And they are commies.

Commies must have lots of sex.

I wanna be a commie.

Look how small America is. ...compared to China.

And they are commies.

Commies must have lots of sex.

I wanna be a commie.

Oh, they are not having a little sex right now. That is sort of the problem they are facing.

world-map-population.jpg

The real message I see behind the map is that the world population has more than doubled since I was a kid. Can you imagine if it doubled again by the next generation? All this talk of jobs, economies, and climate change aren't tied to cars or pollution or greenhouse gases, they are tied to PEOPLE. Just too damned many of them. If there weren't so many it wouldn't matter what kind of cars we drove, how many mpg they got, whether we used gasoline or coal. The human race has shown it simply hasn't the ability or will to regulate itself and is spreading like a virus on the planet and I doubt can control itself until Earth intervenes and throws us a curve and fixes the problem FOR US.

There are NOT “too many people.”

An absurd claim. Every single factor you bitch about in the environment, climate, etc., cars, exhaust, pollution, strip mining, deforestation, carbon credits, industry, energy consumption, resource depletion, smog, waste, pollution ------------ it all comes DIRECTLY back to people. More people, more of the above. You can only streamline and control those things so far. Now our oceans are filled with plastic. We are overrun with recyclables. Easter Island out in the middle of nowhere has waste and pollution washing ashore by the dump truck-full. If the USA were back to the 150-200 million I knew as a child, we'd have no concerns for any of these things.

It really comes back to a rather simple physical law called the Inverse Square Law: put simply, what it tells us is that by doubling the population, we create a 4X demand, load and burden on the planet. We are approaching the point of unsustainability.

Last edited:
world-map-population.jpg

The real message I see behind the map is that the world population has more than doubled since I was a kid. Can you imagine if it doubled again by the next generation? All this talk of jobs, economies, and climate change aren't tied to cars or pollution or greenhouse gases, they are tied to PEOPLE. Just too damned many of them. If there weren't so many it wouldn't matter what kind of cars we drove, how many mpg they got, whether we used gasoline or coal. The human race has shown it simply hasn't the ability or will to regulate itself and is spreading like a virus on the planet and I doubt can control itself until Earth intervenes and throws us a curve and fixes the problem FOR US.
Prometheus Bound

You have been programmed to insult intelligence. Every genius, if unshackled, can create comfort and prosperity for thousands. In Edison's case, the total has reached a billion by now.

An absurd claim. Every single factor you bitch about in the environment, climate, etc., cars, exhaust, pollution, strip mining, deforestation, carbon credits, industry, energy consumption, resource depletion, smog, waste, pollution ------------ it all comes DIRECTLY back to people. More people, more of the above. You can only streamline and control those things so far. Now our oceans are filled with plastic. We are overrun with recyclables. Easter Island out in the middle of nowhere has waste and pollution washing ashore by the dump truck-full. If the USA were back to the 150-200 million I knew as a child, we'd have no concerns for any of these things.

You still reason like a child.

An absurd claim. Every single factor you bitch about in the environment, climate, etc., cars, exhaust, pollution, strip mining, deforestation, carbon credits, industry, energy consumption, resource depletion, smog, waste, pollution ------------ it all comes DIRECTLY back to people. ....

I don’t bitch about any of that.

... If the USA were back to the 150-200 million I knew as a child, we'd have no concerns for any of these things.

Bullshit. Smog in LA was far worse in 1970. The air quality in Beijing is better today than just a few years ago.

It is not about how many people there are, but how we manage resources. There has been pollution famine war and all the rest of that shit for all of human history no matter how small or large our population has been. We don’t share and play nicely together. That’s the issue, not some ghoulish Democrat eugenics bullshit wishing there were Fewer human lives on our planet. Stop believing the false crisis propagated over 40 years ago. In the not too distant future, most countries will be dealing with problems related to rapidly declining population not the false bogeyman of population explosion that some empty headed chicken Littles still insist on shrieking about.

world-map-population.jpg

Prometheus Bound

You have been programmed to insult intelligence. Every genius, if unshackled, can create comfort and prosperity for thousands. In Edison's case, the total has reached a billion by now.

You really think even 1% of geniuses are even recognized let alone given the chance to be "unshackled?" You really think their ideas welcomed unto the world unless there is a positive commercial interest for some big company willing to fund it AND it doesn't conflict with the interests of another, like the oil industry? You really think Edison was a genius? You really do live in a rose colored bubble. Edison was a fraud, a hack, a pure, selfish businessman who stole half his ideas from others then pursued them purely for commercial greed.

You still reason like a child.
Why thank you. Glad to know it definitely TAKES ONE to know one. Lucky for me, some children actually know what they're talking about.

... If the USA were back to the 150-200 million I knew as a child, we'd have no concerns for any of these things.

Bullshit. Smog in LA was far worse in 1970. The air quality in Beijing is better today than just a few years ago.

It is not about how many people there are, but how we manage resources. There has been pollution famine war and all the rest of that shit for all of human history no matter how small or large our population has been. We don’t share and play nicely together. That’s the issue, not some ghoulish Democrat eugenics bullshit wishing there were Fewer human lives on our planet. Stop believing the false crisis propagated over 40 years ago. In the not too distant future, most countries will be dealing with problems related to rapidly declining population not the false bogeyman of population explosion that some empty headed chicken Littles still insist on shrieking about.

Sure.

Sure.

Yes, SURE.

Sure.

Yes, SURE.

Look you dumbass, you just made my own point for me!

"It is not about how many people there are, but how we manage resources. There has been pollution famine war and all the rest of that shit for all of human history no matter how small or large our population has been."

Right! We have NEVER managed our resources well by your own admission because as you say there has always been pollution, famine and war, with no reason to think we'll do significantly better in the future and now with so many people, the mismanagement has gone from a small to HUGE problem where we now have plastic in the soil, in the drinking water, floating ashore on Easter Island and recycle companies overflowing unable to find buyers! Eventually, a material becomes no longer recyclable, then we have to dump it somewhere, and with so many people, the problem is escalating along an exponential curve. The key to bringing the problem under control is by limiting the SOURCE of the problem: PEOPLE.

world-map-population.jpg

Prometheus Bound

You really think even 1% of geniuses are even recognized let alone given the chance to be "unshackled?" You really think their ideas welcomed unto the world unless there is a positive commercial interest for some big company willing to fund it.
The "Gifted" Are Never Given Anything But Insults and Ingratitude. They Owe Us Nothing.

High IQs create all the wealth of the plutocratic King Apes. Those predatory beasts intimidate everybody by grunting out their mind control far, wide, and continuously. They manipulate others to humiliate geniuses from childhood on, turning them into willing Cash Cows for Corporate Cowboys. But such sadism creates masochism, stunting the growth of the most potentially productive minds and driving them into escapism and other immature compensations.

Sure.

Yes, SURE.

Look you dumbass, you just made my own point for me!

"It is not about how many people there are, but how we manage resources. There has been pollution famine war and all the rest of that shit for all of human history no matter how small or large our population has been."

Right! We have NEVER managed our resources well by your own admission because as you say there has always been pollution, famine and war, with no reason to think we'll do significantly better in the future and now with so many people, the mismanagement has gone from a small to HUGE problem where we now have plastic in the soil, in the drinking water, floating ashore on Easter Island and recycle companies overflowing unable to find buyers! Eventually, a material becomes no longer recyclable, then we have to dump it somewhere, and with so many people, the problem is escalating along an exponential curve. The key to bringing the problem under control is by limiting the SOURCE of the problem: PEOPLE.

You fail logic utterly.

Forum List

Back