Six Natural Gas Power Plants Fail in "Refurbished" Texas Power Grid

Not to me. You act like the whole state lost power.
We act like:

"The power-plant failures resulted in a loss of about 2,900 megawatts of electricity, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas said in an email statement Friday. That’s enough power for about 580,000 homes and businesses. Natural-gas fired plants make up all of the generation that failed, an Ercot spokesman said."

Cause that's what the fucking article said.

We act like:

"The power-plant failures resulted in a loss of about 2,900 megawatts of electricity, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas said in an email statement Friday. That’s enough power for about 580,000 homes and businesses. Natural-gas fired plants make up all of the generation that failed, an Ercot spokesman said."

Cause that's what the fucking article said.
580,000 homes is not the whole state. It's more like 580 subdivisions like mine.

Most power in the wold is fossil fuel. It is very reliable. Amazing you have to be told that.
Fossil fuel is not the largest energy reserve on the planet. Geothermal and nuclear have greater potential. Wind and solar will be available long after the last barrel of oil has been burned. Using fossil fuel is NOT the most reliable because it requires high temperatures, high speed moving parts and produces corrosive (and toxic) combustion products.

Fossil fuel is not the largest energy reserve on the planet. Geothermal and nuclear have greater potential. Wind and solar will be available long after the last barrel of oil has been burned. Using fossil fuel is NOT the most reliable because it requires high temperatures, high speed moving parts and produces corrosive (and toxic) combustion products.
If Geothermal, Nuclear, Solar and Wind were that reliable, they would already be providing most of the power, and yet they are not.

If Geothermal, Nuclear, Solar and Wind were that reliable, they would already be providing most of the power, and yet they are not.
Geothermal is geographically restricted. Nuclear is extremely capital intensive. Solar and wind are currently growing as fast as any new technology could grow and in the not too distant future WILL be providing most of our power.

Geothermal is geographically restricted. Nuclear is extremely capital intensive. Solar and wind are currently growing as fast as any new technology could grow and in the not too distant future WILL be providing most of our power.
That's the problem, solar and wind are not now viable to provide the needed power. Yes, in the future technology may advance to the point they are able to provide adeqauate power. Neither, however, has the energy potential of fossil fuel. Today, 'renewable energy' for the world is just propaganda pushed by 'greenies' that only have a religious belief in human caused climate change.

Last edited:
That's the problem, solar and wind are not now viable to provide the needed power. Yes, in the future technology may advance to the point they are able to provide adeqauate power. Neither, however, has the energy potential of fossil fuel. Today, 'renewable energy' for the world is just propaganda pushed by 'greenies' that only have a religious belief in human caused climate change.
I'm afraid that is simply incorrect. Solar panels covering an area the size of Lake Michigan could shoulder the power load of the entire country and a study by National Renewable Energy Laboratory pegged the wind potential of the US at 37 million GWh (10 million over current total US energy demand) but perhaps I misunderstand what you're trying to say. What do you mean by "energy potential"?

All the "energy potential" of fossil fuels came from the Sun. Plants capture the Sun's energy and grow due to photosynthesis. Our future depends upon us continuing to learn ways to mimic that process rather than just extracting and burning every remaining scrap of fossilized fuel.

All the "energy potential" of fossil fuels came from the Sun. Plants capture the Sun's energy and grow due to photosynthesis. Our future depends upon us continuing to learn ways to mimic that process rather than just extracting and burning every remaining scrap of fossilized fuel.
We’re not there yet.

I'm afraid that is simply incorrect. Solar panels covering an area the size of Lake Michigan could shoulder the power load of the entire country and a study by National Renewable Energy Laboratory pegged the wind potential of the US at 37 million GWh (10 million over current total US energy demand) but perhaps I misunderstand what you're trying to say. What do you mean by "energy potential"?
Fossil fuel is more energy dense and much more cost effective.

What is the energy density of wind and sunlight and show me the calculations that tell you burning $100/bbl fuel till the end of time is more "cost effective" than sitting back and having free energy delivered to you by wind and sun.

What is the energy density of wind and sunlight and show me the calculations that tell you burning $100/bbl fuel till the end of time is more "cost effective" than sitting back and having free energy delivered to you by wind and sun.
When it comes to being a reliable base-loading option, until wind and solar install the extra capacity needed for battery storage it's an apples to oranges comparison to fossil fuels. Fossil fuel can base load itself. Wind and solar can't. Fossil fuels is effectively wind and solar's "battery backup."

I suspect the reason wind and solar don't universally install battery backup is because of costs. So until wind and solar can stand alone comparing costs and base loading is an apples to oranges comparison.

Lastly, if the goal is to replace fossil fuels, it's not going to work unless wind and solar can carry the full load. Which right now it can't because wind and solar are intermittent.

When it comes to being a reliable base-loading option, until wind and solar install the extra capacity needed for battery storage it's an apples to oranges comparison to fossil fuels. Fossil fuel can base load itself. Wind and solar can't. Fossil fuels is effectively wind and solar's "battery backup."

I suspect the reason wind and solar don't universally install battery backup is because of costs. So until wind and solar can stand alone comparing costs and base loading is an apples to oranges comparison.

Lastly, if the goal is to replace fossil fuels, it's not going to work unless wind and solar can carry the full load. Which right now it can't because wind and solar are intermittent.
Good lord! Have you passed that to the energy utilities? You're gonna save their bacon for sure. My god you're a genius. Think of the money they might have wasted if you hadn't figured all that out. Hoo-WEEEEE!!!

Forum List

Back