Singing... if you're bad, can it be "taught"?

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
Can you be a "bad" singer and be taught to be a good singer?

Can anyone be a good singer?

If anyone knows anything about music, let me know. I would be willing to invest in voice lessons for singing but if there is no hope, I won't bother!

Absolutely!

A perfect example of a great singer with a bad voice is Louis Armstrong.

Absolutely!

A perfect example of a great singer with a bad voice is Louis Armstrong.

That was more like a "signature" he had a style. I don't think he had voice lessons to become good....
Maybe I'm wrong about that.... I guess I'll need to talk to a voice coach to find out.

I have been told you can sound better, but you won't be great. I'm not looking to have a career - but, I'm not shy so it would be awesome to be able to sing at church at least - I'd love to do a solo!

You have to believe that anything can be made better with time and effort.

I would argue that Louis was a great singer with a unique voice rather than a bad singer. Shane Macgowan is another example and maybe Johnny Cash would be in the same bracket. There are some songs that you would not want to hear them sing but think about it.
Would you rather listen to Johnny Cash or .....Garth Brooks ?
Its a no brainer.

A voice can be improved. I sung in a semi pro choir for a few years. Certainly timing, attention to dynamics, and diction can be markedly improved. Voice quality such as using your diaphragm, opening up your throat, relaxing certain muscles and many other things make a better voice.

Everyone has a good voice - I really believe that. I think the key is finding and fine tuning the style that your voice lends itself to, whether it be new or invented. What words sound good with your particular voice? Stuff like that....high, low, mellow, hard, etc. Theres a spot for every voice, its just locating your spot on the spectrum and atrempting to master your lane.

If you are truly bad, no. I cannot sing at all and when I try the laughs begin. Voice like all things is a given - improved maybe? Perfected nah. Record yourself and have a listen days later.

If you are truly bad, no. I cannot sing at all and when I try the laughs begin. Voice like all things is a given - improved maybe? Perfected nah. Record yourself and have a listen days later.

I've actually done that (recorded my singing) then practiced different ways of singing.
I'm not even sure if I'm Soprano or what... I think I might sound a tad better when I sing higher/soprano BUT it's more "comfortable" (or natural?) for me to sing lower....

My bucket list includes trying to be a better singer and learning to play the drums.

Forum List

Back