Shouldn't 'nut shot' and other self-harm videos be illegal?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Most every US state has provision to deprive a citizen of their freedom for 72 hours for psychiatric evaluation if they pose a threat to themselves or others. So how is someone deliberately injuring themselves legal to post video of the act online? Shouldn't we discourage copycats seeking fame online and tv shows featuring online clips of such things by forbidding US websites from hosting such content?

Most every US state has provision to deprive a citizen of their freedom for 72 hours for psychiatric evaluation if they pose a threat to themselves or others. So how is someone deliberately injuring themselves legal to post video of the act online? Shouldn't we discourage copycats seeking fame online and tv shows featuring online clips of such things by forbidding US websites from hosting such content?
When I grew up I used a shovel with the head up to show someone what I did to it, then would whack them in der nutz...with the handle...

Should we censor shows and events such as the guy in Texas that sits in a tub while handlers put live rattle snakes in with him? What about the guy that catches deadly snakes with his bare hands? And, what about shows like the jumps of Evel Knievel?

We can't lock up everyone just because they do crazy things. We would have to build many wards and hire many professional counselors to handle the number of crazy people in this country. People are going to post crazy things on the internet, and people are going to copy what they see on TV and at the movies. Besides, we have young kids that want to be the next Tiger Woods because they watch him on TV. Exposure can be both good and bad, and it's up to all of us to determine the dangers, as well as the rewards.

In my opinion, and to try to answer your question, it would have to be case by case, and not a blanket rule or law that allows us to hold someone for evaluation.

Should we censor shows and events such as the guy in Texas that sits in a tub while handlers put live rattle snakes in with him? What about the guy that catches deadly snakes with his bare hands? And, what about shows like the jumps of Evel Knievel?

We can't lock up everyone just because they do crazy things. We would have to build many wards and hire many professional counselors to handle the number of crazy people in this country. People are going to post crazy things on the internet, and people are going to copy what they see on TV and at the movies. Besides, we have young kids that want to be the next Tiger Woods because they watch him on TV. Exposure can be both good and bad, and it's up to all of us to determine the dangers, as well as the rewards.

In my opinion, and to try to answer your question, it would have to be case by case, and not a blanket rule or law that allows us to hold someone for evaluation.

In the 3 examples you cited none are doing it to be injured. Any injury is accidental or incidental, not deliberate.

Shouldn't lock such people up, but we should attempt to discourage such behaviours by not encouraging them with hosting them on websites. People with no talent to get noticed online may opt to just injure themselves knowing there's an audience for that type of content. And we can restrict that type of content or forbid it outright. And we should.

In the 3 examples you cited none are doing it to be injured. Any injury is accidental or incidental, not deliberate.

Shouldn't lock such people up, but we should attempt to discourage such behaviours by not encouraging them with hosting them on websites. People with no talent to get noticed online may opt to just injure themselves knowing there's an audience for that type of content. And we can restrict that type of content or forbid it outright. And we should.
You can't police the entire world, nor this country, in order to keep people from doing dangerous stupid things, even the ones that injure themselves purposely. We have deranged mentally unstable people in this world, and many of them do post videos online to get attention. I saw the same behavior on the school playground when I was kid. I saw kids purposely let go of the handle bars on their bikes to show that they could take a nasty fall and keep going. I saw kids dive into shallow pools just to be funny and impress someone. People, for the most part, crave attention, even it means purposely getting hurt or severely injured.

We can't all be counselors and prevent stupidity. And, we can attempt to censor media, but then it would take extreme measures.

You can't police the entire world, nor this country, in order to keep people from doing dangerous stupid things, even the ones that injure themselves purposely. We have deranged mentally unstable people in this world, and many of them do post videos online to get attention. I saw the same behavior on the school playground when I was kid. I saw kids purposely let go of the handle bars on their bikes to show that they could take a nasty fall and keep going. I saw kids dive into shallow pools just to be funny and impress someone. People, for the most part, crave attention, even it means purposely getting hurt or severely injured.

We can't all be counselors and prevent stupidity. And, we can attempt to censor media, but then it would take extreme measures.

How many thought to deliberately take a kick in the balls until they saw such videos on tv? Can and absolutely should ban such content on US sites.

How many thought to deliberately take a kick in the balls until they saw such videos on tv? Can and absolutely should ban such content on US sites.
How would you ban them, and how would a ban be enforced? I don't believe that anyone asked permission before posting on the web. And, yes, TV can be censored before any content is aired.

Forum List

Back